Automatic Roomba Garage

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Automatic Roomba Garage

Postby dkcsn » December 6th, 2017, 5:53 am

Hi

I am building an automatic Roomba Garage integrated in the kitchen socket.
The Garage door will go up when the roomba starts and Stay open when working and close again when roomba has returned to dock/HomeBase.

I am using the 900 series roomba and I need a signal for open/close the "Roombagarage"

First i thought I could use the Signal from the charching LED in the Roomba Dock - but it flash when roomba is out on work.
I need a clear signal when roomba is in DOCK/HomeBase or invertet. Any ideas ?

Br Christain
Attachments
IMG_4102.JPG
dkcsn

Re: Automatic Roomba Garage

Postby Bandi94 » December 6th, 2017, 8:19 am

Use a simple IR barrier just in front of the docking station. When Roomba is docked then the IR barrier is interrupted, when it starts off the barrier get unblocked and you know that is started off. I don't think you can get any IR signal from the docking station. Maybe if you analyze the signal you can find some different pattern in it, like when the roomba is working the station only emits some short data to say "Hey, i am here", then when the roomba closes up to dock maybe the signals emited by the roomba activates some more complex pattern in the station to guide to robot back. But the Ir barrier will work like a charm for your needs
Bandi94

Postby dkcsn » December 6th, 2017, 9:01 am

Thanz - thank you for input its highly appreciated. The garage is pretty small - only room for the roomba. So I might will have some timing issues whit the door closes too soon. I will look into that..
Also it might interfering with roomba's docking sensors
dkcsn

Postby smithb » December 6th, 2017, 12:09 pm

I don’t know how far you want to go with this but a laser proximity switch might work. You could possibly salvage one from a garage door opener and program it to close after a short delay when the beam is broken. Then, position the sensor such that the beam is broken when the bot is fully docked. As soon as the bot undocks the beam will be restored and the door will open and remain open until the bot returns to home base.
smithb

Postby Brett » December 7th, 2017, 12:13 am

Not sure if this is helpful but the older docks have two LEDs, one is for power on, and the other one is for Roomba 'docked' - isn't that what you are looking for?

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby dkcsn » December 7th, 2017, 6:58 am

The new dock for the 8/900 series only have one LED - It had been easy to make with the old dock
dkcsn

Postby Bandi94 » December 7th, 2017, 2:07 pm

Check the voltage on the charging pad's when the robot is not docked, and once more when it is docked. The samsung docking charger's trick on detecting the vacuum is made there, they supply only 5V to the pad's and measure the voltage after a diode. When the robot dock's it has a small reverse current leakage that pull's the voltage up before the diode and they detect that voltage increase. If the roomba charger work's on the same principle they maybe there is enough space in the charger to squeeze a small comparator in there.
Bandi94

Postby Brett » December 7th, 2017, 11:02 pm

dkcsn wrote:The new dock ...

I know that - I was suggesting that you might save a lot of complication buying an older dock for a few bucks?!

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat