Need a Source for Dirt Dog Mini Brushes

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Need a Source for Dirt Dog Mini Brushes

Postby smithb » December 19th, 2017, 10:54 am

Does anyone have a reliable source for the Dirt Dog mini brushes? I'd like to pick up one or two and I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks.
smithb

Re: Need a Source for Dirt Dog Mini Brushes

Postby vic7767 » December 19th, 2017, 11:51 am

You can still get the larger bristle brush here: http://store.irobot.com/default/parts-a ... cessories/

You may find the smaller bristle brush on ebay or Amazon.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby smithb » December 19th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Amazon is a bust and the only auctions that are turning anything up are on whole units, which I’m not completely against but it kind of defeats the purpose. I’m converting one of my disco’s with a bad vacuum motor into a DD style shop sweeper. I guess the worst that happens is I pick up an actual DD for the task and do something else with the disco, like turn it into a mobile beer caddy or something.
smithb

Postby mfortuna » December 20th, 2017, 7:47 am

You could try using the rubber beater brush if you can't find the small brush.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby smithb » December 20th, 2017, 11:14 am

The rubber beater is what I'm currently using. It seems to do a fine job picking up sawdust and dirt but gets jammed up by the occasional oak leaf. My guess is that the brushes wouldn't be able to pass those types of things either, so it's probably just me thinking too hard about a problem that doesn't really need to be solved.

I've read elsewhere that folks have not seen a significant difference between the function of the beater vs the mini bristle brush so I'm probably going to just let it go and get a DD anyway. Thanks.
smithb

Postby mfortuna » December 20th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Leaves get caught up in my dirt dog using the small brush.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby smithb » December 20th, 2017, 10:59 pm

Yup. I didn't mean to insinuate that the Dirt Dog would be any more effective. I just want one... or three.
smithb

Postby mfortuna » December 21st, 2017, 7:37 am

One advantage of the dirt dog is the larger bin since there is no vacuum motor. Mine gets used a few times to clean the garage and after the first run the bin is full. Note the leaves getting caught doesn't completely kill cleaning ability. The brushes still turn and the leaves are just stuck.
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby smithb » December 22nd, 2017, 3:09 pm

Yeah, I was quite impressed with the amount of sawdust that was picked up without any vacuum. It obviously couldn't clean the joints in the concrete slab but the rest of the floor looked pretty darn good and the bin was filled to capacity. I'm in the process of redesigning the dust bin to increase the capacity while maintaining the functionality of the latch mechanism with the existing spring. I may end up scrapping the spring and doing something completely different like a latch, hasp, or retention strap. That would free up even more internal space.

My new DD is supposed to arrive this afternoon so I'm excited to get him on the workbench and see what needs to be done. I've got a bunch of TO-220 MOSFETS on the way and a couple other project bots that need attention so I should be able to keep busy this Christmas. I really like your Security Dawg project so I'll definitely be reading through that thread for tips, tricks, and lessons learned.
smithb

Postby vic7767 » December 22nd, 2017, 4:06 pm

Here's a source for a Dirt Dog bin: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roomba-Dirt-Do ... SwLsBZSWmR
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/

http://www.Robot-Doc.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby smithb » December 23rd, 2017, 1:57 am

Thanks, I saw that one. I don’t buy parts, though... unless they’re attached to a robot. It’s just not economical for my interests. Maybe if I had just one or two robots I’d consider it but I just get such a kick out of bringing these things back to life and putting them to work again. I’m working on my seventh right now. I think I’m averaging around $25 per unit, so I’m not doing too bad. We’ll see what happens when I start putting servos and cameras on them.
smithb

Postby mfortuna » December 23rd, 2017, 10:17 am

Great bot for experiments!
Mike
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat