Black electrical contacts on Roomba 980 and Homebase

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Black electrical contacts on Roomba 980 and Homebase

Postby gianx80 » December 21st, 2017, 11:06 am

Hi,
I have been using a Roomba 980 since the last year without any problem.

Yesterday the robot wasn't charging. He returned on its base after a complete clean cycle, but it wasn't charging. The green led on the base was flashing intermittently. The battery was completely out of power.
I tried to reposition the robot on the homebase, without any result or change. I flipped it and I noted a black substance (oxide?) on one of the contacts on the robot and on the equivalent contact on the homebase. I cleaned them both with alcohol.
Now, if I manually put the roomba on the homebase, after a copule of tries it begings charging and the grren led stops blinking. I have still to try a complete clean cycle.

What could be the problem? How can I fix it? I think I'm still in warranty (2 years here), but I don't want to remain without my roomba for a couple of weeks.
gianx80

Re: Black electrical contacts on Roomba 980 and Homebase

Postby vic7767 » December 21st, 2017, 12:08 pm

Check the bottom of the homebase, make sure it sits level. Check that the homebase contacts are both spring loaded equally. Use an abrasive like 6000 grit sandpaper and clean the Roomba and homebase contacts.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat