Roomba 980 will not update firmware to v2.2.11

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 980 will not update firmware to v2.2.11

Postby DeanR181 » December 30th, 2017, 6:13 am

New 980 would not update firmware to the latest v2.2.11. Distributer asked to send it back. They tested it and couldn’t get it to update either. They sent me a new one but again, it will not update. Just states update failed, try again? Anyone else had this problem and able to fix it? Looks like it will be going back again next week if I can get it to update.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DeanR181
 
Posts: 17
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Re: Roomba 980 will not update firmware to v2.2.11

Postby svobod3 » January 2nd, 2018, 5:04 am

Yes, I had exactly the same problem. Root cause is original FW in the robot. If it is 2.2.10, it will not update.
svobod3
 
Posts: 12
Joined: December 18th, 2017, 4:10 am

Re: Roomba 980 will not update firmware to v2.2.11

Postby DeanR181 » January 2nd, 2018, 5:10 am

svobod3 wrote:Yes, I had exactly the same problem. Root cause is original FW in the robot. If it is 2.2.10, it will not update.
thanks for the reply. Yes it is version 2.2.10. I was onto customer service today and they said they had not heard of this before and tried to blame me again for being stupid. I told them that they have a batch problem and that they need to check their stock to find one that will update and then I will exchange again. They offered to take the unit back and update it manually but I refused at it should do it automatically as advertised. They said they will get back to me when they find a unit that will update automatically. I think I may be waiting a while.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DeanR181
 
Posts: 17
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Re: Roomba 980 will not update firmware to v2.2.11

Postby svobod3 » January 2nd, 2018, 5:16 am

This is quite common issue now. It is discussed also on other forums, for example here: http://www.roboter-forum.com/showthread ... post308686
I also discussed this issue with Roomba live chat support, but the only advice I got was to replace the robot. I had to do it 3x to finally get one with older FW (2.2.9). With this FW it took about 10 minutes to get updated to 2.2.11 (with the same router setting etc). So I am happy now but I had to spend several hours to get there and official support did not help me at all.
svobod3
 
Posts: 12
Joined: December 18th, 2017, 4:10 am

Re: Roomba 980 will not update firmware to v2.2.11

Postby DeanR181 » January 2nd, 2018, 5:31 am

svobod3 wrote:This is quite common issue now. It is discussed also on other forums, for example here: http://www.roboter-forum.com/showthread ... post308686
I also discussed this issue with Roomba live chat support, but the only advice I got was to replace the robot. I had to do it 3x to finally get one with older FW (2.2.9). With this FW it took about 10 minutes to get updated to 2.2.11 (with the same router setting etc). So I am happy now but I had to spend several hours to get there and official support did not help me at all.
thanks for that. I will call them again tomorrow and suggest what you mention and see what they say. Their engineer will return to work tomorrow so I will try and talk to him direct. They call him Engineer” but I think he is just a repair man and not actually an engineer that knows the ins and outs of the FW. I’ll let you know how I go.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeanR181
 
Posts: 17
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Re: Roomba 980 will not update firmware to v2.2.11

Postby svobod3 » January 2nd, 2018, 5:34 am

ok, let me know the result, thanks
svobod3
 
Posts: 12
Joined: December 18th, 2017, 4:10 am

Re: Roomba 980 will not update firmware to v2.2.11

Postby northern ivy » January 7th, 2018, 2:36 am

I ordered a 980 from amazon and it had a hard time finding its charging station it would just randomly stop cleaning and never attempt to go home....it also never produced cleaning maps they were always unavailable. After contacting support, Roomba sent me a new robot. But now this one is on Firmware 1.6.4 and when I try to get the update it states that it is not connected to the internet but I can clearly see it attached to my router and I can monitor the RX/TX on the 2.4ghz band.

Any ideas, it seems that 980 has firmware issues, I was surprised that this robot that was sent had such an old firmware to start with....
northern ivy
 
Posts: 1
Joined: January 7th, 2018, 2:29 am

Re: Roomba 980 will not update firmware to v2.2.11

Postby DeanR181 » January 7th, 2018, 2:43 am

northern ivy wrote:I ordered a 980 from amazon and it had a hard time finding its charging station it would just randomly stop cleaning and never attempt to go home....it also never produced cleaning maps they were always unavailable. After contacting support, Roomba sent me a new robot. But now this one is on Firmware 1.6.4 and when I try to get the update it states that it is not connected to the internet but I can clearly see it attached to my router and I can monitor the RX/TX on the 2.4ghz band.

Any ideas, it seems that 980 has firmware issues, I was surprised that this robot that was sent had such an old firmware to start with....
sounds like a very old production model. I would be asking for the the newest produced model without firmware 2.2.10 as this version won’t allow any update. I am finding Roomba customer service to be useless. It has been a week since I reported a problem with my second unit they sent under warranty which makes me believe they have no idea, or, they know they have a major issue and don’t want to admit it hoping we ( the customer) gives up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeanR181
 
Posts: 17
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 10:58 pm


Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joyride76, lanchez and 299 guests