5 year old 650 not charging

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

5 year old 650 not charging

Postby JiminSTLouis » January 1st, 2018, 12:03 am

Hello

My daughter borrowed our 650 for a couple of years and I just took it back today. It looked liked it was never cleaned or the bin emptied. After a thorough cleaning, I tried charging it and after about a half an hour, I received a charging error 5. All charging contacts are clean including the battery compartment contacts. I did a reboot by holding down the spot/dock buttons but still get the error. Is the battery ready to be replaced or is there something else I can try?

Thanks
JiminSTLouis
 
Posts: 13
Joined: December 27th, 2012, 1:56 pm

5 year old 650 not charging

Postby DeanR181 » January 1st, 2018, 12:12 am

JiminSTLouis wrote:Hello

My daughter borrowed our 650 for a couple of years and I just took it back today. It looked liked it was never cleaned or the bin emptied. After a thorough cleaning, I tried charging it and after about a half an hour, I received a charging error 5. All charging contacts are clean including the battery compartment contacts. I did a reboot by holding down the spot/dock buttons but still get the error. Is the battery ready to be replaced or is there something else I can try?

Thanks


Hi Jim, 6 years for a battery is good going. If the charger is still putting out power, it certainly sounds like a new battery is needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DeanR181
 
Posts: 11
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Re: 5 year old 650 not charging

Postby JiminSTLouis » January 1st, 2018, 1:01 am

DeanR181 wrote:
JiminSTLouis wrote:Hello

My daughter borrowed our 650 for a couple of years and I just took it back today. It looked liked it was never cleaned or the bin emptied. After a thorough cleaning, I tried charging it and after about a half an hour, I received a charging error 5. All charging contacts are clean including the battery compartment contacts. I did a reboot by holding down the spot/dock buttons but still get the error. Is the battery ready to be replaced or is there something else I can try?

Thanks


Hi Jim, 6 years for a battery is good going. If the charger is still putting out power, it certainly sounds like a new battery is needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


I’m afraid you may be right Dean. I have the power cable plugged directly into the bot and get the pulsing amber charging light for about a half hour until the error. I’ve tried about 5 times tonight.

Thanks
JiminSTLouis
 
Posts: 13
Joined: December 27th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Re: 5 year old 650 not charging

Postby JiminSTLouis » January 1st, 2018, 11:17 am

I ordered a new (oem) battery from Amazon Prime. Hopfully the bot will be back up and running again in a couple of days.
JiminSTLouis
 
Posts: 13
Joined: December 27th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Re: 5 year old 650 not charging

Postby DeanR181 » January 1st, 2018, 4:32 pm

JiminSTLouis wrote:I ordered a new (oem) battery from Amazon Prime. Hopfully the bot will be back up and running again in a couple of days.
fingers crossed that it will resuscitate little bot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeanR181
 
Posts: 11
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Re: 5 year old 650 not charging

Postby JiminSTLouis » January 5th, 2018, 5:56 pm

New battery is installed, charged and the bot is back to work!

Image
JiminSTLouis
 
Posts: 13
Joined: December 27th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Re: 5 year old 650 not charging

Postby DeanR181 » January 5th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Excellent, glad to hear it..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeanR181
 
Posts: 11
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Re: 5 year old 650 not charging

Postby JiminSTLouis » January 5th, 2018, 10:04 pm

DeanR181 wrote:Excellent, glad to hear it..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


It’s funny... it never used to go up onto my rugs now it plows right over the edge and vacuums all of them.
JiminSTLouis
 
Posts: 13
Joined: December 27th, 2012, 1:56 pm


Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: drude1, jamesburlander, Rar9 and 111 guests