Roomba marking furniture

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba marking furniture

Postby hazelb » January 1st, 2018, 6:06 am

I have a couple of roomba 560's that I run in the house.

It is getting noticeable that marks are appearing on some items of furniture and skirting boards ( American - base boards? ) around the house. They don't seemed to be caused by the roomba hitting them at speed or not seeing then, more a case of the roomba nudging up against them when it has a change of direction and is aligning to get the side brush up against the wall. The roomba is now banned from the dining room ( marking chair legs and a black gloss piano! ) and I'm about to repaint all the skirting boards in the house with white gloss paint!!!!

I've tried various fixes mentioned on the forum: helicopter tape, foam strips on bumper but it still seems to do it.

Any other tips?

I might compare the two roombas i have ( both 560's) and see if one is more prone to doing it than the other.

I also wondered if this was a problem with all the 'bumping bots' and maybe I need to upgrade to a 960 with visual navigation? - I would be interested to hear if this helps reduce the problem.
hazelb

Re: Roomba marking furniture

Postby JiminSTLouis » January 1st, 2018, 10:18 am

What about attaching a row of felt pads to the periphery of the Roomba? You know the ones used for under chair legs?
JiminSTLouis

Postby poconogal » January 3rd, 2018, 8:20 am

There are special strips that were made specifically to attach to the bottom and the top of the entire bumper of the Roomba. I have been using those strips on my 581 for about five years and it solved the problem. Before I got the strips, and you really do need BOTH strips for it to be 100% effective, it was marking my chair legs which was very noticeable because the finish was a dark mahogany. Also marking my molding or baseboard as you refer to it. Once I put the strips on, the only mark that I could see on the chair legs was sometimes dust and that’s it. I purchased the strips, and they were not expensive, from a website that sells aftermarket accessories for Roomba etc. The strips are very soft and yet very durable. I am still using the originals that I attached to the Roomba about five years ago.
Last edited by poconogal on January 3rd, 2018, 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby poconogal » January 3rd, 2018, 8:26 am

I’ve been trying to post pictures of the package but it keeps telling me my photo is invalid. I guess it won’t take a photo from an iPhone. Anyway the website is http://www.robotaddons.com.
Last edited by poconogal on January 6th, 2018, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby JiminSTLouis » January 5th, 2018, 9:57 pm

JiminSTLouis

Postby poconogal » January 6th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Yes! That’s it! Those strips are fantastic!
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat