Upgrading Roomba 581

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Upgrading Roomba 581

Postby poconogal » January 2nd, 2018, 7:18 pm

Thinking of upgrading from my 581 which is now seven years old and actually still works like a charm, to a 960 or 980. It seems there are several advancements over my 581 LOL! However I wonder if these new advanced models still have issues with failing CHMs and having to have mods done or in my case, I’ve been cleaning my CHMs every three months and I am still using my originals. Just wondering if it’s worth upgrading to a new Roomba or the other robot in the running is a Neato. I don’t know if I want another Roomba where I will have the hassle of constantly dealing with clogged CHM‘s. If the new ones even have the same type of CHM as my 581??

Also, do the new Roombas, like the 960 or 980, still bang into furniture like my good old 581? I really would like to do without that! Thoughts?
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Re: Upgrading Roomba 581

Postby Brett » January 2nd, 2018, 10:06 pm

The 900s navigate (a la Neato) so you are comparing chalk and cheese.
They also have a new CHM which is much less (not at all?) susceptible to debris ingress, with what at first appear to be odd looking rubbery tubes instead of brush/flappy thing. Looks odd, but the tech is sound and they work well. The "brushes" (now called extractors) have a sizeable cavity each end for accumulating hair etc till you clean them out. Works well.
Is it "worth" the upgrade? I'm inclined to say no, but it's up to you.

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby poconogal » January 3rd, 2018, 8:40 am

Thanks for the info. Not having to take apart a CHM every three months to clean, not having to use light houses and all of the batteries needed, and an orderly cleaning pattern are all pluses to me. So I gather that the 960 or 980 does not bump into furniture either like My 581 does? Then I do think it would be worth it for me to upgrade to at least the 960 since I have only tile in my home with no rugs.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby poconogal » January 7th, 2018, 9:12 am

I heard back from iRobot on the furniture bumping question for the 960 and 980. Apparently they still bump the furniture but the explanation said the gentle bump. Now I’m waiting for them to clarify whether it’s gentle bump all the time or gentle bump on light colored furniture and a harder bump on dark furniture like past Roombas.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » January 7th, 2018, 10:20 am

The Roomba 900 models still use the IR light touch sensor arrangement that was introduced with the 500 models. They still have the same issue with dark colors that absorb the IR signal instead of reflecting it.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby poconogal » January 7th, 2018, 12:52 pm

vic7767 wrote:The Roomba 900 models still use the IR light touch sensor arrangement that was introduced with the 500 models. They still have the same issue with dark colors that absorb the IR signal instead of reflecting it.

OK, that is the information I was looking for. So do you feel Neato is better in this respect as far as bumping, or will it bump less often? I’m just trying to decide between the two actually.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » January 7th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Other than the Neato Lidar is less dependable your trade-off will be possible Neato damage to areas where it can become trapped and cause damage during escape attempts or possible Roomba bumps upon dark furniture.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby poconogal » January 8th, 2018, 11:40 am

Here is the response I received from iRobot on the question of the force of bumping. Hmmmm

“We appreciate the time taken to respond. Concetta the robot will always be gentle when it bumps into furniture or base board regardless of the color.

If any additional assistance is needed please let us know. We are only an email or phone call away and ready to assist.

Have a wonderful day!

Regards,
Rayshad J.
iRobot Technical Support.”
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat