Roomba 4170 Sage quick panic spin

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 4170 Sage quick panic spin

Postby I'mNotARobot » January 3rd, 2018, 6:58 pm

Got a secondhand 4170 2 years ago from my uncle. Has been running fine until now. Now, occasionally it will abruptly interrupt its cleaning path with a quick left then right turn in place. (turns around left, travels 3 feet or so, and then turns back around to the right). This is not related to a circle dance issue that seems to be the most common in the 4xxx community. This will repeat itself a few more times. If I tap the bumper, the navigation sometimes returns to normal. iRobot told me that this might be a front wheel stasis issue, but I checked the wheel and it turns, but there is some hair around the axle. Unfortunately, I can't get the front wheel out to clean it like on the 5xx bots and newer. Are there any solutions to this random spin problem?
I'mNotARobot

Re: Roomba 4170 Sage quick panic spin

Postby vic7767 » January 3rd, 2018, 8:14 pm

Head over here and have a read: viewtopic.php?t=2080

The axle and wheel can be pressed out of the front wheel support plastic using the flat blade of a screwdriver.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby TechGuy » January 3rd, 2018, 9:34 pm

That behavior is due to front wheel is not turning freely.
Use a box cutter to cut the hair out. I know it is a pain to get the hair out.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby I'mNotARobot » January 4th, 2018, 7:28 pm

I knew it had something to do with the front wheel since that is how the bot measures distance between objects/ VWU's. I'll clean the hair out and see if it works!
Thanks a lot!
- I'm Not a Robot!
I'mNotARobot

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat