Does Roomba 960 Bump furniture

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Does Roomba 960 Bump furniture

Postby poconogal » January 5th, 2018, 7:09 pm

I’ve been trying to find an answer to this question but have had no success. I’ve contacted iRobot and had no response. Does the 960 bump furniture and baseboards and whatever else may be in its path the same way my 581 does, or does it avoid hitting things the way a Neato does?
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Re: Does Roomba 960 Bump furniture

Postby vic7767 » January 5th, 2018, 8:42 pm

It will only revert to earlier type movements if there is not minimum light to create visual images.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby poconogal » January 5th, 2018, 9:26 pm

OK thank you! That’s what I thought and was hoping but wanted confirmation. Almost decided to get neato but I guess I’m so used to roomba that I would rather stick with roomba. Will be getting a 960 hopefully in the near future!
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » January 5th, 2018, 11:31 pm

:cheers:
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Brett » January 5th, 2018, 11:51 pm

I'm no expert, but I think Ed's answer is to a different question?

The 9xx Roombas will still "bump" furniture, boards etc. It uses the camera based nav system for SLAM (Simultaneous Location And Mapping:- building and following a map as it goes) but as it approaches a wall/leg/object it will (should) slow down using the "light touch sensors" (as per all the other Roombas) so that it "bumps" gently. Lots of YouTube clips showing it in action.

But if this makes you want to buy a Neato, you might consider that the Neato generally pushes the bumper up against objects to get in close, and sometimes while manoeuvring in tight spaces will reverse and push up against things - even riding up till the unit is tilted somewhat.

Not sure that I'm helping, but I guess I'm saying there is no silver bullet - ya pays ya money....

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby poconogal » January 6th, 2018, 9:04 am

OK thanks! I don’t mind the light touching by Roomba on lighter colored objects. What I do mind to some extent is the slam bumping into darker furniture legs etc. Roomba still sounds like a better bet as far as that goes from what you have described about Neato in your response to me.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby Brett » January 7th, 2018, 10:45 am

If a Roomba is bumping "hard" into furniture try a BiT to see if the light touch sensors are working. Possibly the "window lenses" in the bumper are dusty and not enough UV light is getting through (twice)?

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby poconogal » January 7th, 2018, 12:46 pm

The harder bumping has always happened with every robot I have had. Even brand new. On dark colored furniture it just bumps harder. I’m talking about the older Roombas, i.e., my 581 and my 560 and even the 535 that was my mom’s. I don’t know how hard one would say the bump is but it is definitely harder than the light touch that it does on a light colored baseboard or piece of furniture. Upon approaching light colored wood I can see the Roomba visibly slow when it approaches but on espresso colored furniture which is dark, it does not really slow. I have had dining room chair legs damaged from that. I do use the bumper strips from robot add-ons and that has eliminated 99% of the problem however, some things I have which the Roomba hits forcefully enough to move include a 30 pound end table. Probably because it is on new, smooth tile flooring. I would like to not have to be re-positioning the end tables after each Roomba use which is daily in my house due to numerous dogs. But if it can’t be helped, it’s still better than hand vacuuming every day.

So now iRobot says it does bump but it is light touch. I want them to clarify for me whether it is the light touch all the time, or is it light touch only on the lighter colored objects and harder on dark colored objects just like the older Roombas. It can sometimes be like pulling teeth getting information from them. Although I must say they have been very good to me with providing new service robots when one of my robots goes on the fritz and can’t be fixed and is out of warranty. I don’t get them for free of course, but I’ve paid a greatly reduced price.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » January 7th, 2018, 6:38 pm

As answered in another post, the Light touch sensors will not operate correctly with dark material.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby poconogal » January 8th, 2018, 11:37 am

Now this is interesting. Below is the email response I received from iRobot on the question of gentle or harder bumping. Hmmm...

“We appreciate the time taken to respond. Concetta the robot will always be gentle when it bumps into furniture or base board regardless of the color.

If any additional assistance is needed please let us know. We are only an email or phone call away and ready to assist.

Have a wonderful day!

Regards,
Rayshad J.
iRobot Technical Support.”
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » January 8th, 2018, 1:17 pm

Any Roomba owner that has experience using their robot ( I'm logging 12 years) know there are improvements since the R3 (500 and up) models were introduced to the public. Most furniture and baseboards will not be damaged by direct bumps by the Roomba even if the Light Touch feature does not work due to dust build-up or dark colors. Continuous bumping on the same area over time may cause visible indications of the impacted area. This would also be true if an upright machine were used the same way.

Selection of a particular cleaning robot becomes a personal choice based either on experience or user feedback from other owners of the different models.
Last edited by vic7767 on January 8th, 2018, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby poconogal » January 8th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Yes, after eight years of almost daily use, I suspect that is why I have had some marking on furniture legs etc. But with a household full of dogs every day use was necessary. For some reason here in Florida, and probably also because I do not have area rugs here, I don’t need to use as often and when I do, the bin is not jam packed full like it used to be. I’m sure that will make a difference on things that get bumped. As for the response that I received from the company, I’m not sure I will place 100% faith in what I was told from them.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat