Which Roomba is the gentlest to furniture/floors?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Which Roomba is the gentlest to furniture/floors?

Postby CarpetUFO » January 13th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Hi guys and gals I'm new to the forums and need some help picking out a Roomba. So I have two questions:

The problem is I live in an old house with some delicate furniture and interiors, so I need a Roomba that doesn't bang up all the furniture and walls. Which Roomba series is the gentlest?

I originally wanted a Neato since I've heard they are gentler, but reading about all the quality control issues scared me off. Is the Roomba more durable than the Neato or are they about the same?
CarpetUFO

Re: Which Roomba is the gentlest to furniture/floors?

Postby susantx3 » January 13th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Poor Quality Control is your friend, just buy an extended warranty or purchase from a store with easy return policy. I beta tested at least 30 units for free or close to free for years. Unfortunately, Neatos have become more reliable and I have multiple units they may last past the 3 year extended warranty. The newer Roomba models have sensors to stop most hard knocks, but to be safe and a strip of the soft side of Velcro to the bumper

I would not use any robot vacuum in an area with furniture that could not be scuffed and scratched, without taking alot of precautions, and even then the robot will do all it can to go where you do not want it to go.
susantx3
Robot Groupie

Re: Which Roomba is the gentlest to furniture/floors?

Postby poconogal » January 16th, 2018, 5:30 pm

There are special strips that were made specifically to attach to the bottom and the top of the entire bumper of the Roomba. I have been using those strips on my 581 for about five years and it solved the problem of beating up my furniture. Before I got the strips, and you really do need BOTH strips for it to be 100% effective, it was marking my chair legs which was very noticeable because the finish was a dark mahogany. Also marking my baseboard molding. Once I put the strips on, the only mark that I would see on the chair legs was sometimes dust and that’s it. I purchased the strips, and they were not expensive, from a website that sells aftermarket accessories for Roomba etc. The strips are very soft and yet very durable. I am still using the originals that I attached to the Roomba about five years ago. The website is http://www.robotaddons.com

After questioning about iRobot’s top-of-the-line 980, iRobot told me that the 980 will only gentle bump on everything, whether light or dark colored, unlike earlier series (like my 581) which hit darker items harder than light colored, which got the gentle bump. I would still recommend putting the strips on the robot to make sure. They do work extremely well. I plan on getting a 980 sometime during the next few months and the first thing I will be doing is adding a set of strips on it.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat