Roomba 980 anyone able to update?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 980 anyone able to update?

Postby Darbos » January 14th, 2018, 6:05 am

I see a lot of topics about people just having to rma here 980s because they can’t update. I’m wondering if anyone has actually been able to upgrade without an rma. I just got mine and it’s at 1.2.9 it just sits at requested update for days. I have great WiFi, I run enterprise gear. I created a network that only used 2.4 and have my Roomba and phone on it factory reset still nothing.

I call support they just have me do a factory reset and said they’ll call me back in 2 to 3 days....:/

Pay almost a grand for this thing you think you would get a little better support.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, I’m getting pretty upset about this.
Darbos

Re: Roomba 980 anyone able to update?

Postby DeanR181 » January 14th, 2018, 6:12 am

Darbos wrote:I see a lot of topics about people just having to rma here 980s because they can’t update. I’m wondering if anyone has actually been able to upgrade without an rma. I just got mine and it’s at 1.2.9 it just sits at requested update for days. I have great WiFi, I run enterprise gear. I created a network that only used 2.4 and have my Roomba and phone on it factory reset still nothing.

I call support they just have me do a factory reset and said they’ll call me back in 2 to 3 days....:/

Pay almost a grand for this thing you think you would get a little better support.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, I’m getting pretty upset about this.
what is “rma”? I can’t update mine and still working with the agent to work out the problem. This is my second unit as the first would not update either. If I find a solution, I will update everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeanR181

Postby Darbos » January 14th, 2018, 6:21 am

Rma is return merchandise authorization. Sounds you already got a replacement and have the same issue. That’s crazy. I can’t believe they just said will call u n a few days. Good luck and thank you, I’ll keep this thread updated...
Darbos

Postby DeanR181 » January 14th, 2018, 6:25 am

Darbos wrote:Rma is return merchandise authorization. Sounds you already got a replacement and have the same issue. That’s crazy. I can’t believe they just said will call u n a few days. Good luck and thank you, I’ll keep this thread updated...
i just looked at the firmware version and notice it has changed. I was waiting for 2.2.11 but it has jumped to 2.4.4-4. This tells me that they have fixed something as I was stuck on version 2.2.10 as were other people. I sent iRobot all my network settings last week so sounds like they have pushed a newer unreleased firmware version through to me. I will find out tomorrow when I call them again. Will let you know what happens

DeanR181

Postby DeanR181 » January 14th, 2018, 6:30 am

Actually, I just googled v2.4.4-4 and it has shown up a lot of people that could not update have now been updated to v2.4.4-4 on Friday 11th Jan 2018. It would seem iRobot has finally fixed this problem. Maybe you should try and reset your bot and try again. Leave it on the charger for a good 24 hours just to make sure.

DeanR181

Postby Darbos » January 14th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Thanks for the info. I have done a factory reset twice letting it sit for 24 hours and nothing unfortunately
Darbos

Postby Darbos » January 14th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Thanks for the info. I have done a factory reset twice letting it sit for 24 hours and nothing unfortunately
Darbos

Postby Darbos » January 14th, 2018, 3:10 pm

I just talked to them again. Now they said they will escalate it and call me 4-7 business days. I feel like thats really bad service. How do you get to talk to the engineers?? Id d like to get this resolved sooner than that...there killing me
Darbos

Postby mfortuna » January 14th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Not many high tech companies will let customers talk directly to design engineers, they tend to be too truthful.

Is there a reason the upgrade is so important? If the robot works OK then don't worry. Just my opinion.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby DeanR181 » January 14th, 2018, 11:24 pm

mfortuna wrote:Not many high tech companies will let customers talk directly to design engineers, they tend to be too truthful.

Is there a reason the upgrade is so important? If the robot works OK then don't worry. Just my opinion.
i understand why he wants the update, the same as anyone else. If You were to buy a $1000 computer, wouldn’t you expect the software (Windows) would be able to update? I would. Updates are also for improvements to the function of the product. I suggest he keeps hounding customer service until he gets what he paid for.

DeanR181

Postby Darbos » January 15th, 2018, 12:14 am

I understand not talking directly to the engineers. But I dont expect 4-7 days for a resolution.

What he said, I want the update because there is an update. Im sure theres a reason for it. Im sure as far back as mine is enhancements have been made. I want the maps also.
Darbos

Postby dcgall » January 16th, 2018, 11:32 am

I'm having the same issue. I'm stuck at v2.2.10-1. Every time I try to update, it states that I don't have an internet connection. The first one went back to BB&B because the techs said there was a hardware issue, but 2nd one has same problem. I guess I was luckier because I was given 1-2 days for a response. We'll see. They've got a good 5-7 days for resolution and then it's back to BB&B and I'll by a $10 broom.
dcgall

Postby eee7 » January 30th, 2018, 11:39 pm

I had the same exact problem being stuck on my new roomba that came with 10-1 . I did a factory reset through the app, immediately set it up and requested an update. Sure enough I was surprised to see it update an hour later.
eee7

Postby paparola1 » January 31st, 2018, 2:56 am

Our 980 updated with no problem at all. iRobot home app also updated. We now have the beta Wi-Fi strength map along with our usual cleaning map.
paparola1

Postby a1robotrepair » March 16th, 2018, 5:58 pm

How I resolved my update problems.
My problem is the cable company's plant, wiring, amplifiers and power supplies.
Multiple short duration outages on a consistent basis made updating the firmware difficult.
I think the bot software get confused by these blips.
Having these outages made the bot not accept automatic updates.
Here was my solution.
Factory reset bot using app.
Set up bot as new.
Request update using app.
Fail, rinse and repeat.
I was able to get bestbuydemo firmware to update. I didn't think it would ever update. It's been over a year without any luck. Any interruptions during the update and it will fail. I believe most of the problems people are experiencing with the updates are with their internet provider or their wireless network.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat