N O I S E

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

N O I S E

Postby Rivertender » January 17th, 2018, 8:51 am

I just bought a Roomba 890 2 weeks ago.

Used it 1 1/2 times.

Seemed to work pretty good........however..............the folks living below us in our FL condo very graciously allowed as to how whatever we were doing (it was the Roomba) was making a bunch of noise that sounded like an out of balance clothes dryer. Condo construction criticism notwithstanding and our neighbor's assurance that now that they know what the noise is-it's OK, I can't continue to use my Roomba (which we already named Vicki Vacuum or just Vicki) because I wouldn't want to have that kind of a noise intrusion twice a week or more in my life either.

It never occurred to me that the machine could make that much noise.

So, my hope and question is........... is there a robot machine (any brand at all - any brand) that is measurably quieter? Vicki seemed to bang into things a bunch as part of her DNA/programming, our floors are tile everywhere, and I think this is where most of the objectionable noise comes from. Maybe there is another machine that operates differently?

Thanks for all your thoughts, for I am a real robot vacuum enthusiast.
Rivertender

Re: N O I S E

Postby vic7767 » January 17th, 2018, 11:17 am

The Roomba 890 has about the quietest extractor style cleaning head module in use today. There (may) be some mechanical issue with your 890 or the thinnest flooring ever constructed in a condo. Try removing the two extractors from your CHM and then run it to test for noise.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Rivertender » January 17th, 2018, 11:20 am

My apologies for the 3 listings of my post. I clicked submit and there was no response, so I clicked again thinking I hadn't clicked correctly, still no response.
Again, my apologies.
Rivertender

Postby mfortuna » January 17th, 2018, 12:56 pm

No problem. Sometimes RR is slow to respond. I cleaned up the extra posts.
Mike
Reds x 3, Dirt Dog, Disco (now a parts bot), Create, Scooba 350, and Security Dawg
Evolution Mint
Neato XV-11
Shark Ion 750
mfortuna
Robot Master

Postby Brett » January 18th, 2018, 12:12 am

No way any Roomba should be detectable through a floor?!!

Anyway, in an attempt to answer the question, Samsung and LG* machines are much quieter then the iRobot/Neato brigade.

* are these even available in the USofTrump?
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby susantx3 » January 18th, 2018, 3:46 am

Return the 890 and buy the 960 (I purchased mine for 399.99 on Black Friday
Schedule the 960 to do one pass and turn off edge clean.
This will be quiet and quick.

Roombas do play a song when they start and finish, that is noisy, and can not be disable easily. However, that will be the only noticeable noise to your neighbor.

On both the 890 and 960 make sure the spinning side brush is bent away from the robot. The side brush can get bent inward when shipped, and cause an irritating thump, thump, thump noise.

You would be a great neighbor to have.
susantx3
Robot Groupie

Postby poconogal » January 22nd, 2018, 10:29 am

Is your Roomba running on tile? You said your condo is in Florida and tile is the predominant flooring down here. When my Roomba runs on my tile floors there are areas that it thumps on due to grout lines and the tile being a little uneven. Actually a lot uneven which we will probably be going to court with the tile guy over. Notwithstanding the bad tile job, there are areas where it will thump as it rolls across the floor. If that is the case, you may want to pay attention while Roomba is running and see if you have areas like that. You will clearly hear it as it goes across each grout line. Perhaps it will be in an area where you can put an area rug. Which of course Roomba will clean without a problem. If it’s not something from grout lines, it may just be Roomba as it bumps furniture and baseboard moldings and from downstairs it can sound like thumping also. Then perhaps you may want to look into a robot that does not bump furniture and moldings like a Roomba. Perhaps you can very graciously ask to hear what it sounds like from their condo below you while your robot is running upstairs to help isolate the cause. Or to see if it really sounds that bad. But honestly, when I used my Roomba in Pennsylvania, it was running on bare wood floors and while I was downstairs in the basement, I did not hear any sort of disturbing noises. Perhaps they are extremely picky people.
Connie

The robot did it...
poconogal
Robot Addict

Postby sabrina » July 2nd, 2018, 4:59 pm

Roomba is much more noisy on tiles than carpet. I have a small area of tiles in the entrance hall. Each time my roomba gets there it's more noisy and the noise pitch is also different.
sabrina

Postby Loshki » July 3rd, 2018, 2:19 pm

As someone who spent 20 years living in a Condo with paper thin walls, I understand the problem, particularly with the older, bounce-around Roombas which rely on banging into things for 'navigation'. But the thing I think that makes any noise unbearable is never knowing when it will start, and when it will stop.

Try arranging with your neighbors that you will run your Roomba at a particular time, hopefully one that suits both of you, so they will know when they hear it that it will only last 90 minutes and then be done. The predictability makes the whole thing much easier to bear, and shouldn't be all that different to the sounds a person would make if they were cleaning with a regular vacuum cleaner.

No reasonable neighbor should object to a normal, twice a week cleaning. Maybe you can arrange for it to run when they aren't even at home? Do they even do any cleaning themselves?
Loshki

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat