Roomba 770 - robot moves the docking station

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 770 - robot moves the docking station

Postby dbenyakar » February 8th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Hi
Its been a while now that I have noticed the docking station is not in its position after cleaning which prevents the irobot to return and recharge itself.
After close inspection I noticed that the irobot fails to recognize the docking station is there and while cleaning, it moves the docking station.

Has anyone experienced that issue?
dbenyakar
 
Posts: 4
Joined: February 8th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Re: Roomba 770 - robot moves the docking station

Postby vic7767 » February 8th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Consider inspecting the three wires that are connected between the 770 main circuit board and the IR receiver mounted in the front bumper by disassembling the front bumper. Look for a possible broken wire.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
User avatar
vic7767
Robot Master
 
Posts: 14781
Joined: January 14th, 2006, 8:31 pm
Location: Haughton Louisiana - USA

Re: Roomba 770 - robot moves the docking station

Postby DeanR181 » February 8th, 2018, 7:00 pm

dbenyakar wrote:Hi
Its been a while now that I have noticed the docking station is not in its position after cleaning which prevents the irobot to return and recharge itself.
After close inspection I noticed that the irobot fails to recognize the docking station is there and while cleaning, it moves the docking station.

Has anyone experienced that issue?
i have noticed this problem since the last update on my 980. Others are also having the same problem. It has been reported so now waiting for a fix


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeanR181
 
Posts: 17
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Re: Roomba 770 - robot moves the docking station

Postby vic7767 » February 9th, 2018, 1:07 am

DeanR181 wrote:i have noticed this problem since the last update on my 980. Others are also having the same problem. It has been reported so now waiting for a fix
I have both a 960 and 980 flashed to version 2.4.4-4 and neither unit is having any difficulty with the home base. What version is your 980 running?
Last edited by vic7767 on February 9th, 2018, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
User avatar
vic7767
Robot Master
 
Posts: 14781
Joined: January 14th, 2006, 8:31 pm
Location: Haughton Louisiana - USA

Re: Roomba 770 - robot moves the docking station

Postby dbenyakar » February 9th, 2018, 1:08 am

I understand but mine is the 770 which does not receive any updates and it does that.
dbenyakar
 
Posts: 4
Joined: February 8th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Re: Roomba 770 - robot moves the docking station

Postby vic7767 » February 9th, 2018, 1:16 am

dbenyakar wrote:mine is the 770 which does not receive any updates and it does that.
Yes, your post was answered with the issue possibly being a broken wire on the IR receiver mounted in the front bumper. Then this thread went into another direction. I'm attempting to just deal with your 770 home base issue. You can also download the iRobot 500 model Service Manual and perform the built in tests to help you determine if the IR receiver can operate correctly.

Go here to download the pdf manual: http://choisirsonaspirateur.info/wp-con ... Manual.pdf
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
User avatar
vic7767
Robot Master
 
Posts: 14781
Joined: January 14th, 2006, 8:31 pm
Location: Haughton Louisiana - USA

Re: Roomba 770 - robot moves the docking station

Postby DeanR181 » February 9th, 2018, 1:52 am

vic7767 wrote:
DeanR181 wrote:i have noticed this problem since the last update on my 980. Others are also having the same problem. It has been reported so now waiting for a fix
I have both a 960 and 980 flashed to version 2.4.4-4 and neither unit is having any difficulty with the home base. What version is your 980 running?
mine is the same 2.4.4.4. Only started this strange behaviour immediately after updating


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DeanR181
 
Posts: 17
Joined: December 12th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Re: Roomba 770 - robot moves the docking station

Postby dbenyakar » February 10th, 2018, 7:19 am

vic7767 wrote:
dbenyakar wrote:mine is the 770 which does not receive any updates and it does that.
Yes, your post was answered with the issue possibly being a broken wire on the IR receiver mounted in the front bumper. Then this thread went into another direction. I'm attempting to just deal with your 770 home base issue. You can also download the iRobot 500 model Service Manual and perform the built in tests to help you determine if the IR receiver can operate correctly.

Go here to download the pdf manual: http://choisirsonaspirateur.info/wp-con ... Manual.pdf

Im trying to diagnose the IR sensors first using the built in test. How different is the 500-600 built in test described in the linked series service manual to the 700 series built in test?
If I understand it correctly I need to go into the manual test by holding the CLEAN+DOCK simultaneously and then hit the SPOT button 6 times. Now, from what I could figure out the tests numbers are different. Is this correct?

More info on this problem. The roomba docks properly once it is in dock mode and it finds it. It also spots the virtual wall proprely.

How close should it get to the docking station before it recognizes it and turns around away from it.
dbenyakar
 
Posts: 4
Joined: February 8th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Re: Roomba 770 - robot moves the docking station

Postby vic7767 » February 10th, 2018, 12:14 pm

If your Roomba reacts to a virtual wall then the IR sensor on the front bumper is working. You might suspect the emitter in the home base is either defective or dust is blocking the signal.

Manual test mode is recommended when checking your Roomba. There are a few more tests within the 770 BiTs and the best method for testing is to run the BiTs in manual mode while monitoring the output test results via the SCI port.

Normally the VW signal should be detected at about 3 feet from the home base from any direction since the avoidance IR signal is sent in a 360 degree circle.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
User avatar
vic7767
Robot Master
 
Posts: 14781
Joined: January 14th, 2006, 8:31 pm
Location: Haughton Louisiana - USA

Re: Roomba 770 - robot moves the docking station

Postby dbenyakar » February 24th, 2018, 5:37 am

Purchased a new docking station and problem solved!
dbenyakar
 
Posts: 4
Joined: February 8th, 2018, 4:25 pm


Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: im1kissfan, johnnyh, jramer, mfortuna, Miles267, Serge_ISA and 310 guests