Roomba 980 randomly shuts off

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 980 randomly shuts off

Postby abeasom » February 9th, 2018, 7:24 am

I've had my 980 for close to 2 weeks (software 2.4-4) and for the past week or so it began randomly just stopping. If I'm home, I hear it just stop cleaning and it's powered off. Other times if I'm not home I have to look for where it died. I have to press the clean button 3 or 4 times to get it to turn back on and start running again. Of course, it has no clue where it left off so it never docks back home to charge. Sometimes it will die on the first clean round and go back and dock and charge, then go for the second half of upstairs. Other times it will just die on the first round 40-50 minutes in. But it's completely dead when I find it shut off; no wi-fi connectivity off of my network. The thing is too the battery still has at least 1/4 or 1/2 power left when it dies.
I called iRobot and they had run some tests and what not and clean things (which I do anyways) had me start a clean cycle from my dock and then return it a few minutes later to make sure it went home and it did. Anyways, they sending me a new dock which I don't believe will help. I went ahead and purchased a new battery from their site because to me this seems like a battery issue.
Has anyone else ever experienced this and if so was it ever resolved? Thanks!
abeasom

Re: Roomba 980 randomly shuts off

Postby vic7767 » February 9th, 2018, 10:11 am

Flip your 980 over and remove the battery. Pull up on all 4 battery tangs and then install the pack and test your Roomba.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby abeasom » February 9th, 2018, 10:15 am

Thanks I'll try that. Are all 4 battery tangs in the battery well on the robot, or is there something on the battery itself too? I'm at work otherwise I'd look myself right now.
abeasom

Postby vic7767 » February 9th, 2018, 10:18 am

Nothing on the battery. The 4 tangs are in the battery well on the Roomba itself. You might want to wipe off the 4 contact plates on the battery itself.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby abeasom » February 12th, 2018, 8:50 am

vic7767 wrote:Nothing on the battery. The 4 tangs are in the battery well on the Roomba itself. You might want to wipe off the 4 contact plates on the battery itself.

Happy to report that after pulling up on all the battery tangs my Roomba ran flawlessly and for the first time ever, cleaned all 1100 sq.ft of my upstairs. It made it back to charge 2 times and on the third trip out finished cleaning. Thanks for the help.
abeasom

Postby McStagger » March 19th, 2018, 10:40 am

vic7767 wrote:Flip your 980 over and remove the battery. Pull up on all 4 battery tangs and then install the pack and test your Roomba.

I'm also having the issue the OP mentions. I will try your solution and report back.

My issue:
When docked and told to clean, the Roomba undocks, moves a few feet and then just shuts down. If I redock and tell it to clean, it goes on its way and seems to function just fine and even goes as far as redocking to charge back up.

In other instances, it would start to clean and go about 15 or so minutes and then it would shut down.
McStagger

Postby a1robotrepair » March 19th, 2018, 10:56 am

The latest update can track Wi-Fi signal strength. What does yours look like?
Move bot to problem area. In app, More soft key, Settings, Wi-Fi Settings, Robot Wi-Fi details.
Signal Strength = ?
I don't know if this will/could cause problems. I do know I have been asked about this problem after 2.4.4-4.
Roses are red Violets are blue Poems are hard Flowers and Chocolate
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby McStagger » March 19th, 2018, 11:03 am

a1robotrepair wrote:The latest update can track Wi-Fi signal strength. What does yours look like?
Move bot to problem area. In app, More soft key, Settings, Wi-Fi Settings, Robot Wi-Fi details.
Signal Strength = ?
I don't know if this will/could cause problems. I do know I have been asked about this problem after 2.4.4-4.

My Roomba wont update. Out of the box the version number was and is v2.2.10-1

About the update issue, the chat rep said that the updates and doled out in some virtual line of order. If that is true, God only knows when the update will actually come through. In any case, I really don't think it is a signal strength issue given how well everything else in my apartment runs off the same network.
McStagger

Postby a1robotrepair » March 19th, 2018, 11:20 am

My internet is &$@£ bad. I have a sniffer program set up direct to a desktop from the modem. I can see mini outages ranging in the 1/2 second range, multiple for days, then will clear up for days. Most people will not notice them. A slow page load every now and then, a freeze up for a second or two while streaming, if I were a gamer, I'd probably notice it more.

BTW -65dBm Wi-Fi signal is the minimum for good packet transfer.

How I resolved my update problems.
My problem is the cable company's plant, wiring, amplifiers and power supplies.
Multiple short duration outages on a consistent basis made updating the firmware difficult.
I think the bot software get confused by these blips.
Having these outages made the bot not accept automatic updates.
Here was my solution.
Factory reset bot using app.
Set up bot as new.
Request update using app.
Fail, rinse and repeat.
I was able to get bestbuydemo firmware to update. I didn't think it would ever update. It's been over a year without any luck. Any interruptions during the update and it will fail. I believe most of the problems people are experiencing with the updates are with their internet provider or their wireless network.
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby a1robotrepair » March 19th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Previously in a post, someone reported their 980 was stopped in the middle of a run. When they checked it out, it had updated. Search 980 update, a lot of reading before you find it.
Again, don't know if this could be your problem.
a1robotrepair
Robot Master

Postby McStagger » March 19th, 2018, 1:19 pm

a1robotrepair wrote:Previously in a post, someone reported their 980 was stopped in the middle of a run. When they checked it out, it had updated. Search 980 update, a lot of reading before you find it.
Again, don't know if this could be your problem.

I absolutely appreciate the suggestions but unfortunately the random stops are 100% not due to an update being distributed and my wireless signal going to the device is a ~-10 and with all the work and gaming I do that utilizes both my network and internet connections, it is not due to signal drop outs or a weak signal.
McStagger

Postby kerberos » April 11th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Same problem second day using my new 980. Also using version 2.4.4-4. Once I returned 980 to charger, it immediately started up and showed half charge. WiFi at point of failure is 33MB down / 5.7MB up.
kerberos

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat