Next flagship product update

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Next flagship product update

Postby justflie » March 29th, 2018, 10:46 pm

Any idea when they're updating the 9xx series? I've been out of Roomba world for years so I don't know if they have a predictable announcement/upgrade cycle. Can anyone chime in please?
justflie
Robot Addict

Re: Next flagship product update

Postby gregj » April 26th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Dunno, but on that subject - I had my 980 for a while now - and thinking about an upgrade. What should I get? Miele one? Dyson?
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby justflie » April 26th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Greg, just looking for something different or have you identified some deficiencies with the 980?
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby gregj » April 27th, 2018, 5:09 am

Technology has improved in the last 3 years. So either iRobot is trying to milk customers, or they are too lazy to move the technology forward. Either way, I think its time to look around - unless they come up with something this year.
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby scorp888 » April 30th, 2018, 6:14 am

gregj wrote:Dunno, but on that subject - I had my 980 for a while now - and thinking about an upgrade. What should I get? Miele one? Dyson?

Having had a 770 for many years. Just bought a 960.

Nothing compared on price.

Dyson, more money, less battery, less functions, smaller dust bin.
Miele. I don't want to buy a version 1.... Although comparible on Price to the 960, (£110 more) it seemed more like the functions of the 770 I had. I'm also not convinced they are all into robot vaccums. 4 years, one model, no new ones?

Final thing that nailed it for me, was simply this. Every problem I've had with the 770 there has been a fix, or a tutorial, or a video showing how to fix it and parts available to buy or print.

Plus it's still going strong after 6 years.

Why would I NOT reward Irobot with some loyalty?

PS I have had 3 dyson hoovers, 2 broke, one still going...so mixed feelings about them.
scorp888

Postby gregj » May 2nd, 2018, 6:19 am

I have handheld Dysons. Marvellous machines.
As someone who does software and hardware development myself, I'd expect them to at least improve current designs every 6 months - and release those.
But it has been so long since 980 was out, I'm sure battery technology got better, they have learned new things about the robots that are out there, and were able to improve it, camera technology got better, CPUs got faster, etc, etc. There is a lot of room for small improvements.
They used to release new vacuum model every two years or so, so this gap is odd.
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby justflie » May 2nd, 2018, 6:30 am

Yah. On another thread, someone mentioned something from a shareholder call/letter. I think iRobot said they are aiming to release new bots in Q3/4 2018.
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby gregj » May 2nd, 2018, 3:22 pm

as long as its not another budget version of 980..
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat