Roomba 891 - No lighthouse?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 891 - No lighthouse?

Postby rupe » May 24th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Hi,

I'm the owner of a Roomba 891. It came with only 1 Virtual Wall in the packaging (as opposed to the Roomba 880 that I know has 2 Virtual Wall/Lighthouses included in the packaging).

My question is this: If I want the Roomba 891 to clean two adjoining rooms - how do I "tell" it where the boundary is (since the Virtual Wall that came with the unit does not have the Lighthouse feature)?
rupe

Re: Roomba 891 - No lighthouse?

Postby Brett » May 24th, 2018, 9:22 pm

My question is this: Why would you want to? Two adjoining rooms will be a doddle for any Roomba in good order.

Relinquish control! Push/schedule clean, and go put the kettle on, grab a beer, mow the lawn, go to work, etc.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby rupe » May 30th, 2018, 11:59 am

So what you are saying is that the firmware on the Roomba 891 is much better than the Roomba 880 at distinguishing between separate rooms (since the 880 came with 2 Lighthouses included I'm assuming they were needed for this purpose)?
rupe

Postby Brett » May 31st, 2018, 1:29 am

No. I'm saying that this whole "lighthouse" thing is all-but useless - a knee-jerk reaction by iRobot to the fact (back then) that there was a competitor in the market (Neato) that navigated, so they wanted to be able to put hyped up blurb in the marketing and promotion campaigns to say it "does one room then goes to the next" which may, to the ill-informed, sound just the same as what a navigating unit does.

When somebody says "This is my floorplan, where shall I put the lighthouse?" my standard response is: "More info needed on the floorplan - please mark where the dustbin is!"

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby rupe » June 8th, 2018, 4:57 am

OK, thanks again for your reply. And thank you for taking the time to help me answer my question.

I will close this thread. Have a good day. :-)
rupe

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat