New Roomba within a few weeks?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

New Roomba within a few weeks?

Postby mofan » July 24th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Today's irobot press release said this:

"I know you are all as excited about our second-half product launches as we are! Although
I can’t give you any specifics, what I can tell you is that we are planning multiple launch
activities. The first, which will be happening in a few weeks, will be a soft launch, for
limited stores initially, where we will introduce our next offering of high end innovation at
lower price points. Our next launch event will take place later in Q3. Stay tuned!"

Sounds like either a new Roomba with higher end features at a lower price point, or perhaps a new Braava that will still be relatively cheap. It is also pretty well known that a new flagship Roomba is coming this year, so my guess is the launches will go in this order:

1. New Braava
2. New top of the line Roomba
3. New lower priced Roomba
mofan
Robot Groupie

Re: New Roomba within a few weeks?

Postby ps0001 » July 25th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Here are the highlights and approximate timestamps from the Q&A part of the Q2 earnings conference call this morning:

• 21:00, The next release will be in August. It will be a limited release through selected retailers, but a wider release will follow. It will also be a soft launch, so there will be no press releases.
  • 30:00, Braava growth in the US market was in the single digits in Q2.
  • 33:00, Upcoming products will likely see high end features introduced to low end models. Colin Angle gave wi-fi and Dirt Detect as examples of features that are currently found in iRobot's whole lineup, but were originally only in the high end models.
  • 38:00, iRobot recently filed a trademark application for the term "Imprint".
It appears that "Imprint" is the only trademark iRobot Corporation received this year. Several new patents owned by iRobot have been published in 2018, including patents for navigation techniques, robotic lawn mowing techniques, and a home base that could automatically empty a robotic vacuum's bin.

My guess is that they'll introduce a new Braava and they'll bring iAdapt 2.0 to the 800 series. I'm not as confident they'll introduce a new flagship Roomba this year.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » August 28th, 2018, 4:55 am

ps0001 wrote:My guess is that they'll introduce a new Braava

did you hear anything further on this?
Botty
Robot Groupie

Postby ps0001 » August 28th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Botty wrote:did you hear anything further on this?

No new Braava, as far as I know, but they did just release the Roomba e5 and e6. These are like successors to the 600 line, but with some upgraded features, such as rubber brushes (previously exclusive to the 800 and 900 lines) and washable filters (completely new to the entire lineup).
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby mofan » August 30th, 2018, 9:36 am

Irobot noted there would be smaller launches first this quarter without press releases (likely the roomba 675, the 985 at Costco, and the e series) and insinuated a larger product launch later in quarter 3, which would mean sometime in September. I still think it will be the next generation roomba. The 900 series is now 3 years old, has many competitors nipping at its heels, and is now available at a discount price at Costco.
mofan
Robot Groupie

Postby ps0001 » August 30th, 2018, 2:25 pm

I wonder why they're choosing not to announce any of this to the public. It seems like a peculiar strategy to me, but what do I know?
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby c_mart » September 2nd, 2018, 9:38 pm

e5 manual for the curious
c_mart

Postby mofan » September 3rd, 2018, 1:54 pm

Thanks for posting the e5 manual. In looking at the pictures, the brushes/extractors look a bit different on the e series than the 800 and 900 series. One of the two rollers looks the same as on the prior models, but the other looks different. They still appear to be rubber. Also for the 900 series user manual it says that you only need to maintain those rollers every 3 to 4 months but in the E-Series manual it says every 2 to 4 weeks. At first I thought it might mean the newer rubber extractors are not as good, but I suspect that the change was actually made because it was never realistic to say that the debris extractors only needed maintenance every four months. Don't get me wrong- they are far better than the 600 series bristle brushes, but I have to pull hair off my 800 series extractors monthly.
mofan
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat