Roomba 980 Temporarily Not Moving

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 980 Temporarily Not Moving

Postby JeffDElia » August 11th, 2018, 2:41 pm

We usually run our Roomba 980 at night, while we are sleeping. If all goes well, it usually takes about 90 minutes for the Roomba to complete the job (about 665 square feet). Last night, I woke up and checked the Roomba's status on my iPhone. It indicated that our Roomba was still cleaning after 114 minutes. I got up to check on the Roomba and found it sitting in the middle of the floor. The motor and vacuum was running, the lights were on and the side brush was spinning but the Roomba was not moving. I waited several minutes, but it did not move from that spot. It was in the middle of the floor, nothing was near it or blocking its path.

I checked the drive wheels, front caster and debris extractors to see if anything was jamming the mechanism, but everything seemed to move freely. The battery indicator was showing red, so I picked it up and placed it in front of the docking station. I pressed the Home button to have the Roomba return to the docking station but the same thing happened (the motor and vacuum started running, the lights were on and the side brush was spinning but the Roomba was not moving). I canceled and tried the Home button again, but the same thing happened. I turned it over again, and rechecked all the moving parts (everything seemed fine) but this time, when I tried the Home button, nothing happened (no lights and no motor). None of the 3 buttons would light up or cause the Roomba to do anything. At this point, I decided to try removing the battery for a minute or two to see if that might reset it. I put the battery back in, placed the Roomba in front of the docking station and pressed the Home button. This time, it behaved normally and moved toward and docked with the charging station.

When I check the cleaning report, the job shows as canceled and there is no map available, however it does indicate that the Roomba was running for 114 minutes but had only cleaned 344 square feet (typically it cleans 665 square feet in 90 minutes). This morning, I ran a new cleaning job and the Roomba seems to be behaving normally. Has anyone else encountered anything like this?
JeffDElia

Re: Roomba 980 Temporarily Not Moving

Postby vic7767 » August 11th, 2018, 11:46 pm

No one has posted a similar issue with their 980s. If it continues you might consider a warranty replacement if possible.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby JeffDElia » August 12th, 2018, 8:14 am

vic7767 wrote:No one has posted a similar issue with their 980s. If it continues you might consider a warranty replacement if possible.

Thanks, if it happens again, I definitely will (the Roomba is only 3 months old). We ran another cleaning job yesterday and the issue did not reoccur. I've reported the incident to iRobot, still waiting for a response from them.

Thannks

Jeff
JeffDElia

Postby Matien » Today, 6:25 am

I use a Roomba and it works great. I have a one bedroom condo and it cleans my entire place. I have lots of cords and furniture in the way...the Roomba does a good job in cleaning all spots and not getting stuck on the cords. I'm not sure what they mean by "deep cleaning" but it seems to do a pretty thorough job; you can definitely tell the place has been vacuumed. It also has no problems going from carpet to bathroom/kitchen tile or vice versa. I understand the earlier versions had more trouble.

It is much slower than vacuuming the place yourself, but that should be obvious. I just turn it on and leave or do something else for an hour.
Matien

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat