Can’t connect 980 to cloud on Google Wifi

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Can’t connect 980 to cloud on Google Wifi

Postby Artemis68 » August 23rd, 2018, 1:32 am

So my 980 connected to wifi... although the light on the Roomba is white not green, which I don’t think it’s supposed to be. It won’t connect to the cloud... I can’t even check what version it’s firmware is or to update it.

I contacted support three weeks ago!! They send me an email once a week to pretend they’re actually working on it. But they’re no help really.

It’s been reset. I’ve hooked it up on my iPhone, hooked it up on my Android. And it even connects to google home. But won’t communicate with the cloud.

Please help!!
Artemis68

Re: Can’t connect 980 to cloud on Google Wifi

Postby Artemis68 » August 27th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Still no luck here. My Roomba will connect to the wifi, so as long as it’s on its charger and I’m in the house I can use the app to start it. But it won’t connect to the cloud. Because it won’t connect to the cloud it won’t update its firmware.

Please, does anyone have this device on a Google Wfu? I can’t figure out what else it might be and tech support is completely useless.
Artemis68

Postby Artemis68 » September 7th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Well... both iRobot and Google figure that the two are incompatible. So the question... get rid of the google wifi or the roomba??
Artemis68

Postby vic7767 » September 7th, 2018, 4:09 pm

I run two different WiFi router units. They are on different Internet providers but in theory you should be able to run two WiFi routers on one network provider.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Artemis68 » September 7th, 2018, 4:18 pm

I just set up a dlink router I had... still no joy. I do t know what the heck is going on.Seems stupid that turning my vacuum on while away from home and having the maps is such a big deal, but I feel like when something costs so much it should work with no hassle.
Artemis68

Postby RTC » September 7th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Artemis68 wrote:I just set up a dlink router I had... still no joy. I do t know what the heck is going on.Seems stupid that turning my vacuum on while away from home and having the maps is such a big deal, but I feel like when something costs so much it should work with no hassle.

Well, I will NEVER have any of that on my 980. I have a tremor that drives touch devices nuts, so I can't use any apps. All I can do is the manual cleaning. Before I spent the money on it I contacted them to be certain that it could still do everything "necessary" without requiring the app, so I would not waste my money.

The one thing that the app allows that I would like to have available is installation of software updates. But after more than a year and a half of great operation, I contacted them about software updates and they said "As there have been none so far for the 980, it does not affect you."
RTC

Postby RTC » September 7th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Artemis68 wrote:But it won’t connect to the cloud. Because it won’t connect to the cloud it won’t update its firmware.

According to iRobot support, the 980 has no firmware updates to install.
RTC

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat