Long-Time Lurker, Not Quite First-Time Poster

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Long-Time Lurker, Not Quite First-Time Poster

Postby George Jetson » September 5th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Hi All,
It’s been a minute or two since I was last on the Board... back in the day, Vic, Mike, Chris, and other long-time members were so good at helping get my trusty 560 dialed-in that I ran out of things to ask/hack and became just another occasional lurker.
That changed when my LPI battery died the other day. I figured after 11 years, 4 new generations, and numerous new manufacturers in the space that maybe something better had come along. Ironically, I'm perfectly happy with the 560's cleaning performance (I’m on a single level with 100% solid surfaces) and the only thing that even has me writing this post is the way the bronze bushings/bearings love to eat (and hoard) hair.
It is the single biggest driver for contemplating an upgrade, so I have a couple of questions for those that have direct experience with the 5XX/6XX, 7XX, and 8XX/9XX series robots:

1) Have the bushings/bearings on 7XX or 8XX/9XX series brushes finally solved (or at least dramatically mitigated) the hair-clogging problem?

2) Does the Gen 3 dust bin motor on the 8XX/9XX series truly provide a revolutionary step forward in terms of cleaning performance compared to previous gen robots?

3) What about the 9XX series’ camera/grid navigation? I’m perfectly comfortable with the old foraging strategy, but what Roomba owner doesn’t think they could improve their robot’s navigation scheme? Did Roomba get it right with the 900’s?

Anyway, appreciate the feedback in advance; it’s nice to be back and see some familiar avi’s. :cheers:
Dave
George Jetson

Re: Long-Time Lurker, Not Quite First-Time Poster

Postby vic7767 » September 6th, 2018, 12:52 am

Hey George, great to see a post from you. I've got both the 960 & 980 WiFi map making Roombas. iRobot has started lowering the prices on these two machines and suspicion is that a newer model is just around the corner. The extractor style brushes are great for those with pet hair as well as human hair. The vacuum motor on the 980 has two speeds one for flat floors and a higher almost screaming speed for carpet. Like you I don't mind the random pattern of the earlier Roombas but the 900s are unique in straight line cleaning.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby RTC » September 6th, 2018, 8:07 am

1) Have the bushings/bearings on 7XX or 8XX/9XX series brushes finally solved (or at least dramatically mitigated) the hair-clogging problem?
The new extractors have "pockets" at both ends that collect hair, preventing well over 90% of it from wrapping around shafts or otherwise clogging the machine. Simply remove the endcaps of the extractors and pull out the rolls of hair in one piece to discard.

2) Does the Gen 3 dust bin motor on the 8XX/9XX series truly provide a revolutionary step forward in terms of cleaning performance compared to previous gen robots?
Having only had the 980 that is the only fan motor I have seen. I have encountered "stuck vacuum fan error" a few times when the dust bin may not have been solidly latched and came loose in cleaning, allowing the power contacts on the dust bin to slip off the contacts on the 980 that supply power and stopping the fan. Other than that it has worked great.

3) What about the 9XX series’ camera/grid navigation? I’m perfectly comfortable with the old foraging strategy, but what Roomba owner doesn’t think they could improve their robot’s navigation scheme? Did Roomba get it right with the 900’s?
Make sure there are lights on in all rooms it will be cleaning if you run the 980 at night or it rapidly gets disoriented and lost.

From my observations navigation has 3 modes.
  • area coverage - back and forth in long straight sections, seems to do twice perpendicular to each other
  • edge cleaning - "right hand" wall following in a slightly rocking motion (the side brush is on the right side of the 980)
  • traveling - rapid movement in mostly straight lines attempting to avoid mapped obsticals to go between areas, or return home at end of cleaning
RTC

Postby George Jetson » September 7th, 2018, 12:08 am

Thanks Guys,
OK, so WWVD (What Would Vic Do :lol: ): drop $180.00 on a new, modded 7XX series CHM and Li-ion battery and still have an 11 yo bot with all original electrics/electronics, or apply that $180.00 to a new 8XX/9XX series machine with the more powerful vacuum motor? :think:
Dave
George Jetson

Postby vic7767 » September 7th, 2018, 9:02 am

Upgrade to one of the 900 models. They are way cheaper now that the i7 is coming.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby George Jetson » September 8th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Thanks for your input Vic; always appreciated.
Dave
George Jetson

Postby vic7767 » September 8th, 2018, 11:08 pm

:cheers:
vic7767
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat