The 980's Successor is Finally Announced: the i7

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: The 980's Successor is Finally Announced: the i7

Postby vic7767 » September 9th, 2018, 1:55 pm

i preordered one. iRobot starts shipping on 9/12. Not worried about local returns. iRobot usually pays for return shipping if necessary. It's a 40 mile roundtrip for me to do a local return, easier to just mail.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby jdong » September 9th, 2018, 3:07 pm

vic7767 wrote:i preordered one. iRobot starts shipping on 9/12. Not worried about local returns. iRobot usually pays for return shipping if necessary. It's a 40 mile roundtrip for me to do a local return, easier to just mail.

Sweet! Yeah I'm right on the fence. Looking forward to hearing your initial thoughts on it! The persistent mapping is definitely going to be nice (I wonder if it could replace the use of barriers to keep it out of my bathrooms and kitchen).

The 980 works so well for me that forgetting to empty it is pretty much the biggest (first world) problem I have with it :D.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » September 9th, 2018, 4:39 pm

jdong wrote: Looking forward to hearing your initial thoughts on it!

Just as soon as I can get the 960 & 980 moved from the evaluation room (living room) I'll be hooking up the i7 next week.

Strange,the new Electrolux is referred to as the Pure i9 however it was released early this year.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby ps0001 » September 9th, 2018, 7:41 pm

jdong wrote:Sweet! Yeah I'm right on the fence. Looking forward to hearing your initial thoughts on it! The persistent mapping is definitely going to be nice (I wonder if it could replace the use of barriers to keep it out of my bathrooms and kitchen).

Ditto, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Vic! I'm already sold (I've been wanting this persistent mapping feature for so long), but it's just a matter of getting rid of these 960's and 980's I accumulated before I can pull the trigger on the i7.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby jdong » September 10th, 2018, 5:26 pm

One thing I noticed is that "Carpet boost" doesn't seem to be a mentioned feature any more. But the same 10x suction numbers are quoted.

Could the new dustbin fan design not require a separate carpet boost mode anymore?
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby aeromed » September 10th, 2018, 5:29 pm

What I got from iRobot regarding my new 985...

“As for now for the Roomba 985 there isn't any upgrade on the robot.

We're not able to provide any information about future reference regarding the robot since we have just launched newly built robot like the Roomba 985.

We do look forward to your continued support.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aeromed

Postby marquesalan » September 10th, 2018, 6:52 pm

It does have a downside. I called iRobot to ask questions about the unit since there is very little online and no complete reviews yet. They told me it's quieter than the 900 series, it has the same motor as the 980. The downside is the battery only last 75 minutes and it takes it 85 minutes to recharge before completing it's mission! Wonder why they can't make a 2 hour battery like the 980? Everything else about it sounds great.
marquesalan
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » September 10th, 2018, 9:30 pm

jdong wrote:One thing I noticed is that "Carpet boost" doesn't seem to be a mentioned feature any more. But the same 10x suction numbers are quoted.

Could the new dustbin fan design not require a separate carpet boost mode anymore?

marquesalan wrote:It does have a downside. I called iRobot to ask questions about the unit since there is very little online and no complete reviews yet. They told me it's quieter than the 900 series, it has the same motor as the 980. The downside is the battery only last 75 minutes and it takes it 85 minutes to recharge before completing it's mission! Wonder why they can't make a 2 hour battery like the 980? Everything else about it sounds great.

That would explain a lot... no separate carpet boost feature: now carpet boost is on all the time, at the expense of battery life.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » September 10th, 2018, 9:32 pm

aeromed wrote:What I got from iRobot regarding my new 985...

“As for now for the Roomba 985 there isn't any upgrade on the robot.

We're not able to provide any information about future reference regarding the robot since we have just launched newly built robot like the Roomba 985.

We do look forward to your continued support.”

I've gotten similar responses from them, which is really disappointing, to say the least. I strongly urge all 900 series owners to reach out to iRobot and tell them you'd like a firmware update to enable Imprint mapping on your robots. Tell them you're more likely to buy iRobot products in the future if they can show you they won't abandon former top-of-the-line models.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby waorb » September 11th, 2018, 10:24 am

ps0001 wrote:I've gotten similar responses from them, which is really disappointing, to say the least. I strongly urge all 900 series owners to reach out to iRobot and tell them you'd like a firmware update to enable Imprint mapping on your robots. Tell them you're more likely to buy iRobot products in the future if they can show you they won't abandon former top-of-the-line models.

:agree: :agree: :agree:
waorb

Postby jdong » September 11th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Would definitely be cool if they can add more functionality to the 980, but as someone who bought the 980 on launch day, I’m actually pretty appreciative of how much iRobot has supported the product over the last almost 3 years....

Alexa/Google integration, Clean Maps, and push notifications were all new features added to the 980 via updates.

The non feature updates also dramatically improved navigation, especially in low light environments and as the lighting changes over the course of a run (for example, the sun setting between a charging cycle)

To be honest, this is a lot more compared to what I was expecting (the Neato was my previous experience with software updatable bots)

I mean I would appreciate them delivering more.... but I’ve been very happy with the value of my investment and don’t look back at all on the 980. I really think it’s a game changer in this market, rivaling how amazing the original Neato was.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby justflie » September 11th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Preordered, will report back once I have some impressions post delivery.
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » September 12th, 2018, 12:03 am

As someone else predicted, it's now 9/12 and you can order just the i7 (instead of the i7+) on iRobot's website. They also added the e5, in addition to the existing 675, 690, and 960. It looks like the 980 has been removed altogether.

e and i series parts and accessories (filters, replenishment kits, etc.) are now available on iRobot's website as well. It looks like the costs are comparable to the parts and accessories for previous models. One of the news outlets reported that bags for the i7's base will cost $15 for three bags, and that appears to be accurate. The base is also available to purchase separate for $299.99, as advertised.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » September 12th, 2018, 12:12 am

The i7 has 72 reviews on iRobot's website as of 9/12/2018--the day the robot is supposed to start shipping--all 4 or 5 stars, and all submitted on 8/14/2018. Did someone forget to delete the test data? :lol:
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby jdong » September 12th, 2018, 12:14 am

ps0001 wrote:The i7 has 72 reviews on iRobot's website as of 9/12/2018--the day the robot is supposed to start shipping--all 4 or 5 stars, and all submitted on 8/14/2018. Did someone forget to delete the test data? :lol:

Nah this is their beta program.... they did this with every new product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » September 12th, 2018, 12:32 am

jdong wrote:Would definitely be cool if they can add more functionality to the 980, but as someone who bought the 980 on launch day, I’m actually pretty appreciative of how much iRobot has supported the product over the last almost 3 years....

Alexa/Google integration, Clean Maps, and push notifications were all new features added to the 980 via updates.

The non feature updates also dramatically improved navigation, especially in low light environments and as the lighting changes over the course of a run (for example, the sun setting between a charging cycle)

To be honest, this is a lot more compared to what I was expecting (the Neato was my previous experience with software updatable bots)

I mean I would appreciate them delivering more.... but I’ve been very happy with the value of my investment and don’t look back at all on the 980. I really think it’s a game changer in this market, rivaling how amazing the original Neato was.

I understand, we just have different perspectives. I was a late adopter of the 980 because it was prohibitively expensive. I was also reluctant to bite the bullet because I couldn't figure out why it didn't already have room-to-room cleaning. I'm not that familiar with iRobot's competitors, but I kept seeing people mention that other robotic vacuums could already do it and for a lot less money.

I finally got my 980 after I found one I could afford on eBay and because iRobot had an unusually long period of inactivity after the 980's release. There was speculation, but no real buzz about forthcoming models until very recently. It almost seemed like iRobot just didn't care about this sort of feature. "We know what the customer wants, and it's not this" á la Apple.

I suppose what's actually bothering me is that it feels like the 980 is being abandoned when it still has so much potential. It'll never have an automatically emptying bin, washable filter, or a built-in fix for the black rug problem, but I'm certain the hardware can support Imprint mapping. It'd be great if iRobot releases a firmware update to enable the feature, but assuming they won't, the next best thing is an open API so I could piece this together myself. Otherwise, the 980 is destined to quickly fade away into obsolescence.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » September 12th, 2018, 12:33 am

jdong wrote:Nah this is their beta program.... they did this with every new product.

Gee, I'd like to be involved with that. Sounds like a nice gig.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby jdong » September 12th, 2018, 1:23 am

ps0001 wrote:
jdong wrote:Nah this is their beta program.... they did this with every new product.

Gee, I'd like to be involved with that. Sounds like a nice gig.

Tell me about it :(. I religiously fill out my iRobot Insiders surveys hoping that was a factor in getting picked. So far, nothing!

As my history on here shows, I find it pretty fun to test out these things and give informal reviews.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » September 12th, 2018, 2:15 am

ps0001 wrote:I'm certain the hardware can support Imprint mapping. It'd be great if iRobot releases a firmware update to enable the feature

When I asked about firmware updates on the 980, they said "firmware updates will only be used for bug fixes, never for adding features not already present"
RTC

Postby ps0001 » September 12th, 2018, 2:22 am

RTC wrote:When I asked about firmware updates on the 980, they said "firmware updates will only be used for bug fixes, never for adding features not already present"

Like jdong said, that doesn't really mesh with what has actually happened: they've released more than one firmware update that added features. Maybe they meant there will be no more updates with added features going forward? I can see why they'd want to do that, but this is the same company that offered an upgrade path to add the AeroVac system to old 500 and 600 series Roombas. It's just very hard to anticipate what they may or may not do, and their customer service reps are either kept in the dark or exceptionally disciplined.
ps0001
Robot Addict

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat