The 980's Successor is Finally Announced: the i7

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: The 980's Successor is Finally Announced: the i7

Postby rotorwash » September 16th, 2018, 4:41 pm

ps0001 wrote:
rotorwash wrote:The bin on the i7 is like 40% smaller doesn't look good even if it empties itself. The Bot will be spending a lot of its time and energy going to dump. One thing I read over and over from reviews was make the bin larger, and they didn't.

Are you sure about that? The i7's bin does appear smaller, but it doesn't incorporate the vacuum motor anymore, so the capacity is very likely the same as the 980's.

rotorwash wrote:I'm curious to see real world reviews compared to the 980. The only thing I see as better is the Navigation and room learning. The battery is smaller the bin is smaller and it doesn't have the Power Boost mode. I do wonder if the 3300 mAh from the 980 will fit in the i7.

I'm curious where you heard the battery is smaller. I can't find anything about battery life published on iRobot's website or any of the reputable gadget review sites. Somebody on Reddit got about an hour and a half of run time before stopping their i7 manually. He said it still had roughly 25% left in the battery too, so I'm not so sure the i7's battery is significantly smaller than previous models'.

rotorwash wrote:Also will the new extractors fit on the 980 for a possible upgrade.

I wish I knew the answer to this, but I think we'll have to wait until someone who already owns a 980 who feels like experimenting gets an i7 too. The two styles appear compatible to me, but that doesn't mean much.

yes Irobot website is very anemic when it comes to information.
I came across the best buy site which had better specs
the bin is 0.1 gal compared to the 980 which was 0.158 gal
battery is a 1830 mAh 980 is a 3300 mAh
i7 is one pound lighter and 0.1 inch higher but 0.3 inches small in diameter
rotorwash

Postby jdong » September 16th, 2018, 4:44 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=crwgdGWocig

Hot off the presses, the first extensive unboxing video. The debris extractors do look different — the front roller seems to have much taller blades.

Not a lot of info on how it runs yet.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » September 16th, 2018, 4:58 pm

jdong wrote:The debris extractors do look different — the front roller seems to have much taller blades.

Yes, and not only that, it appears that the non-drive side has hex-shaped bearings, unlike the earlier models' round bearings. Maybe they could be interchangeable with some modification, but they're definitely not compatible right out of the box.

I find it interesting that they reverted to the older style battery cover. On my 530, I had to remove the entire bottom cover to get to the battery. On my 980, there's a separate door just for the battery compartment. It looks like you have to remove the whole bottom cover on the i7 to get to the battery again. Now I'm really curious what kind of battery they put in there...
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » September 16th, 2018, 5:05 pm

rotorwash wrote:the bin is 0.1 gal compared to the 980 which was 0.158 gal

I wonder if they got those specs from iRobot, or if they calculated them themselves. 0.058 gallons (roughly 0.9 cups or 200 mL) is about the size I'd expect the vacuum motor to occupy...
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby rotorwash » September 16th, 2018, 5:18 pm

If you compare the pictures (unscientific) looks like the area when the motor was in the 980 is chopped off. Add that deeper filter and also factor in the self dumping door area. I would have to say that volume looks about right, really smaller. People like me with pet hair this is a big concern.

I hope someone will post pictures of them side by side.
rotorwash

Postby justflie » September 19th, 2018, 6:28 am

Hey, all. Got in late last night (flight was delayed four hours, ugh) but roomba is up and running. Got it charged and through one mission. So much quieter than my neato xv11, at least until it goes to home base for emptying. Then it’s as others have described, like a full sized upright vacuum cleaner for 10 or so seconds.

It did a pretty good job on its first time through the house. Never got stuck or lost. It claimed to be about 50% complete for learning the map of th floor after the one run, that’s pretty good! It also gives you the opportunity to do a “training run” which is faster than a regular clean cycle.

Any questions? I’d be happy to answer what I have learned thus far.
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby fufu » September 22nd, 2018, 4:31 am

Hey justflie,

could you tell how the roomba behaves now in terms it completed it's training? My old Roomba 980 went five times into my kitchen and always changed rooms because it didn't know the perimeters upfront. So is this changed now? Is more structed now like a Neato for instance?

Is it a problem to move some chairs or other stuff that stands around, after training is completed?

Some article about the i7 mentioned that it uses it's camera to avoid crushing into objects. Is this true? The roomba 980 just relied on the bumper an the IR sensors.

How satisfied are you in total with your i7+?
fufu

Postby justflie » September 22nd, 2018, 1:00 pm

fufu, so far so good. Yes, the run is pretty well structured when training is complete. It's not as predictable as Neato (which always did perimeter followed by interior grid) but I'm pleased with it.

It's handled variations well. I always pull a couple chairs out from the dining room table and deposit them in parts of the room that are relatively clean (which changes day to day). No issues with those. I've also been pleased with how well it navigates to a specific room to clean when requested through a smart home assistant. For example, when I ask roomba to clean the mud room (through Alexa), it pops off the base and trucks off to do its business. Doesn't get lost on the way and takes the shortest route.

I didn't have a 980 so i can't speak to that, but you can edit your maps (once trained) in the app to set up dividers for rooms as you see fit. It takes its best guess but at least in my case, i had to add several dividers to logically break up the house.

I haven't seen it try to crush an object (lol) but I'll keep an eye out. It did get tangled up with a heavy duty string, mangling one leg of the side brush. It still works but I'm worried about premature failure for that part. Just sent a notice to irobot support and they'll see what they want to do.

In total, I'm very pleased! I've been away from iRobot for quite some time so I missed that side brush. My evolution was an old 560 in grad school (~2006), then a Neato XV-11 as soon as it came out. Now this. Very pleased with the navigation, cleaning performance, as well as the app functionality (this is my first connected bot). I haven't had it for a week so we'll see how things progress, but so far, so good.

Oh, and if a video of something specific would help, let me know. There are some surfacing on youtube but i'd be happy to chase it around with my iPhone if you had a specific question.

Edit: Also, I was surprised at how well it handled a "threshold" in my son's closet. The threshold ramps in the front (no problem there) but is just a drop off after that with no ramp on the return journey. It's just the flat edge of the board. I couldn't believe it got back over, had to be .75" at least. Very impressed with that. If my Neato went into the closet, it never came back out.
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby fufu » September 22nd, 2018, 5:47 pm

Justflie, thank you so much for your detailed answer! What you describe sounds really good. I would really appreciate if you could make a short video. Nothing specific. Just the i7 running around. There're mostly advertising videos from iRobot on Youtube, at the moment. A video on how the i7 behaves in the real world would be more than enough. :)

I'm really looking forward to the i7+. In Germany, it won't be available before 2019. :/ But I'm really hooked on this model. I had my first robots in 2011 (Roomba and XV11) and since then hoped that Neato would bring an automatic dirt disposal.
fufu

Postby justflie » September 23rd, 2018, 8:20 pm

I made a quick video and threw it up on YouTube. Let me know if you have more questions.

https://youtu.be/QrXabHotS5o
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby fufu » September 24th, 2018, 6:29 pm

xD thanks for the detailed video. This was very helpful!
fufu

Postby jdong » September 24th, 2018, 7:01 pm

justflie wrote:Edit: Also, I was surprised at how well it handled a "threshold" in my son's closet. The threshold ramps in the front (no problem there) but is just a drop off after that with no ramp on the return journey. It's just the flat edge of the board. I couldn't believe it got back over, had to be .75" at least. Very impressed with that. If my Neato went into the closet, it never came back out.

Yeah this has been iRobot's forte ever since the 770, and it's improved in both the 800, 900, and i series. They are rock stars at not getting trapped or wedged.

Heck even comparing the 980 to the i7, in my place my memory foam mats could jam the 980 into a cabinet door if it approached at just the right angle.

It seems like the i7 has better "escape behavior" and though it can get wedged, it's been able to free itself by turning while reversing, which seemed to be a maneuver the 980 refused to make.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby fufu » September 25th, 2018, 5:09 pm

I have one further question, justflie. The i7 is bumping into your chair and table legs. Does this change once it learned your flat's layout? It seems like it completed the training. Otherwise you couldn't send it by voice commands into the kitchen, right?
fufu

Postby jdong » September 25th, 2018, 5:54 pm

fufu wrote:I have one further question, justflie. The i7 is bumping into your chair and table legs. Does this change once it learned your flat's layout? It seems like it completed the training. Otherwise you couldn't send it by voice commands into the kitchen, right?

I’m not justflie, even if it hits an unfamiliar obstacle trying to get to a specific room, it will find its way around it.

Even once it learns the layout, while cleaning a given room it will still nudge items in the room. I think this is to deal with subtle rearranging of furniture. It spends less time bumping into items though compared to the 980. The 980 during “edge clean” seems to try to nudge basically every 2 feet of wall hoping to find a doorway, and when it doesn’t it pauses for a few seconds to update its internal map.

The i7 spends much less time doing this and the map calibrations generally happen without stopping or just stopping for a split second.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby justflie » September 25th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Bingo, jdong. Thanks for the assist! Agreed on the edge clean, it tends to do a straight, fast run along known walls.
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby justflie » September 26th, 2018, 7:04 am

I sometimes get some docking issues with the i7+, anyone else seeing this? It will seemingly dock properly, driving up the little ramp on the vacuum dock and stopping where it looks like it should, but it’s juuuusssst off its proper parking spot. It doesn’t charge, doesn’t empty the bin, and show a “returning to dock” message in the app. Doesn’t happen every time, but enough to be annoying. Anyone else seeing this or know how to fix it? I’m assuming it takes a firmware update, but figured I would ask.
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby jdong » September 26th, 2018, 11:14 am

justflie wrote:I sometimes get some docking issues with the i7+, anyone else seeing this? It will seemingly dock properly, driving up the little ramp on the vacuum dock and stopping where it looks like it should, but it’s juuuusssst off its proper parking spot. It doesn’t charge, doesn’t empty the bin, and show a “returning to dock” message in the app. Doesn’t happen every time, but enough to be annoying. Anyone else seeing this or know how to fix it? I’m assuming it takes a firmware update, but figured I would ask.

Mine has done about 15 jobs and docked successfully each time.... yeah this sounds like it’s a firmware issue with docking. You probably want to make a video of it and reach out to iRobot support. They actually seem pretty decent at looking at videos and diagnosing problems or getting engineers involved with early launch problems.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby justflie » September 26th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Good idea. I’ll keep an eye on it tonight
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby TerrenceBlack » September 27th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Justflie, do you know what the battery voltage and capacity are?
TerrenceBlack

Postby vic7767 » September 27th, 2018, 3:31 pm

The pack in the i7 is marked 1800 mAH and 14.4vdc
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat