Roomba i7+ and Roomba e5

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba i7+ and Roomba e5

Postby piokrza » September 6th, 2018, 1:46 pm

Roomba i7+ (room selection, self-emptying, WiFi)
$949 with self-empty station
$699 without self-empty station
$299 self-empty station sold separately
$14.99 for 3 bags

sold Q1 2019

Roomba e5 (no mapping, no self-empty, only rubber rollers and WiFi)
$449

sold next Tue.

https://medium.com/@LanceUlanoff/lazy-p ... fc53ea400c

piokrza
Robot Master

Re: Roomba i7+ and Roomba e5

Postby mofan » September 6th, 2018, 2:39 pm

One correction- according to the Irobot online store, the i7+ actually ships on September 12.
mofan
Robot Groupie

Postby justflie » September 7th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Not super interested in the self-emptying base, but want to buy the i7. Is there a way to preorder just the i7 without the base or am I missing something? All is see is the $949 version.
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby robotreviews » September 8th, 2018, 7:14 am

Doesn't appear to be, but with the release date only 4 days away I would imagine that the base model will probably be available on that date.
robotreviews
Chief Robot

Postby justflie » September 8th, 2018, 8:06 am

Ok, I’ll hold fire until next week to see. Thanks!
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby jdong » September 9th, 2018, 12:43 pm

The E5 appears to be at Costco already. It’s an iAdapt 1.0 style bounce robot except it has a li-ion battery and the new green rubber rollers, priced at $369. Not bad overall though I think the 985 is the real value winner.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby marquesalan » September 12th, 2018, 6:55 am

Too bad the battery life of the i7 is only 75 minutes, not 120 like the 980 which is discontinued. Everything else sounds great.
marquesalan
Robot Addict

Postby householdme » September 16th, 2018, 6:44 am

Anyone had a chance to check out the new iRobot Roomba i7? We are open for guest post opportunities at https://www.householdme.com/. Thanks!
householdme

Postby ps0001 » September 16th, 2018, 1:35 pm

householdme wrote:Anyone had a chance to check out the new iRobot Roomba i7? We are open for guest post opportunities at https://www.householdme.com/. Thanks!

If you sponsor me to buy one, I'll be happy to write you a thorough review. :D
ps0001
Robot Groupie

Postby rotorwash » September 16th, 2018, 2:29 pm

householdme wrote:Anyone had a chance to check out the new iRobot Roomba i7? We are open for guest post opportunities at https://www.householdme.com/. Thanks!

Send me an i7 and I will give you a great review... Your review on the 980 is vastly lacking on real world running with pet hair. Example not one place did I read that the extractors will collect hair on the ends and, in my case owning two Golden retrievers, needs to be cleaned every cleaning session. The front caster wheel also needs to be taken apart and cleaned.
I also know that the new i7 has a 0.1 gal bin compared to the 980 0.158 gal sure it can empty itself but wastes time and energy doing so. I fill the bin easily every day with my pups!

i7 does not have the PowerBoost mode for carpet like the 980. They claim the i7 has 10x suctions just like the 980. That truly needs testing.

The battery on the i7 is a 1830 compared to the 980 3300 (possible swap to upgrade the i7) irobot does not list a battery yet for the i7. not sure if its the same as the 980

Also the rumor is that the 980 will be replaced with the 985 which is only a name change.

I personally would like to see a 980 software upgrade with the i7 Navigation room mapping.
rotorwash

Postby vic7767 » September 16th, 2018, 2:44 pm

rotorwash wrote:not one place did I read that the extractors will collect hair on the ends
This was mentioned with the introduction of the extractor style brush deck on the 8XX model Roomba. That same brush deck was used in the 9XX models as well.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby rotorwash » September 16th, 2018, 3:31 pm

vic7767 wrote:
rotorwash wrote:not one place did I read that the extractors will collect hair on the ends
This was mentioned with the introduction of the extractor style brush deck on the 8XX model Roomba. That same brush deck was used in the 9XX models as well.

Wish I knew that. I read a lot of reviews and watched a bunch of youTube before buying. I never heard about it. I found out after I think it was the third use of the vac. I had so much hair on the swivel wheel I couldn't turn it or get the axle to push out. The ends of the extractors were solid hair.
I should say both dogs are blowing their coats and its a lot of hair... daily vacuuming
rotorwash

Postby ps0001 » September 16th, 2018, 3:48 pm

rotorwash wrote:Wish I knew that. I read a lot of reviews and watched a bunch of youTube before buying. I never heard about it. I found out after I think it was the third use of the vac. I had so much hair on the swivel wheel I couldn't turn it or get the axle to push out. The ends of the extractors were solid hair.
I should say both dogs are blowing their coats and its a lot of hair... daily vacuuming

Is this your first Roomba? Even with fur collecting on the ends, the AeroForce rollers represent a vast improvement over previous designs. Older styles with brushes, including AeroVac models, were a real pain to clean--I would know, I have a Golden too. I used a tool iRobot sells to pick fur off the brushes and little cuticle scissors to cut it off the ends. Cleaning the robot took at least five minutes once I got a good routine.

The rollers are so much easier to clean. The fur just slides off--even what accumulates on the ends. I can clean the whole thing in 1-2 minutes. Yes, I'd prefer not to clean it at all, but I only have to do it after every couple of runs (every two or three days, in my case). If you run your Roomba daily, the floors will become cleaner overall and the robot will require somewhat less cleaning itself.

I agree that the front caster design could be better. Other robotic vacuums have the brush deck in front of all the wheels, so dirt and hair get sucked into the bin before it has a chance to get tangled on the caster. Even so, this problem isn't unique to vacuum cleaners. There has been a need for casters that don't get tangled with hair and fibers in commercial and industrial settings for decades. One solution is a simple mechanical device called a "thread guard", which prevents fur from getting near the axle. I'm surprised iRobot hasn't incorporated something like that anywhere in their lineup to date.
ps0001
Robot Groupie

Postby rotorwash » September 16th, 2018, 4:34 pm

ps0001 wrote:
rotorwash wrote:Wish I knew that. I read a lot of reviews and watched a bunch of youTube before buying. I never heard about it. I found out after I think it was the third use of the vac. I had so much hair on the swivel wheel I couldn't turn it or get the axle to push out. The ends of the extractors were solid hair.

Is this your first Roomba? Even with fur collecting on the ends, the AeroForce rollers represent a vast improvement over previous designs. Older styles with brushes, including AeroVac models, were a real pain to clean--I would know, I have a Golden too. I used a tool iRobot sells to pick fur off the brushes and little cuticle scissors to cut it off the ends. Cleaning the robot took at least five minutes once I got a good routine.

The rollers are so much easier to clean. The fur just slides off--even what accumulates on the ends. I can clean the whole thing in 1-2 minutes. Yes, I'd prefer not to clean it at all, but I only have to do it after every couple of runs (every two or three days, in my case). If you run your Roomba daily, the floors will become cleaner overall and the robot will require somewhat less cleaning itself.

I agree that the front caster design could be better. Other robotic vacuums have the brush deck in front of all the wheels, so dirt and hair get sucked into the bin before it has a chance to get tangled on the caster. Even so, this problem isn't unique to vacuum cleaners. There has been a need for casters that don't get tangled with hair and fibers in commercial and industrial settings for decades. One solution is a simple mechanical device called a "thread guard", which prevents fur from getting near the axle. I'm surprised iRobot hasn't incorporated something like that anywhere in their lineup to date.

Yes I'm a roomba virgin ha but I did look into these extensively. I agree about the brushes and tangled hair. Before the bot I used a Kirby that I needed to clean the brush before every vacuum job. I used an X-acto knife to cut the fur off which would look like rope. I was excited about these extractors and they do a great job. After every clean or during a charge I clean the bin and the rollers takes me less than a minutes so I do like that. I guess I'm just pointing out that iRobot plays off that pet hair isn't a problem. Its much less of a problem but still need to monitor and clean.

My wife and I are shocked at how much hair that 980 picks up every day!!! Something we really didn't see with the Kirby which we would Vacuum three times a week. I swear these dogs should be bald.
rotorwash

Postby ps0001 » September 16th, 2018, 4:39 pm

rotorwash wrote:My wife and I are shocked at how much hair that 980 picks up every day!!! Something we really didn't see with the Kirby which we would Vacuum three times a week. I swear these dogs should be bald.

I know the feeling... :lol:
ps0001
Robot Groupie

Postby gregj » September 17th, 2018, 4:57 am

one thing that is enraging me, how dare they in 2018 introduce a vacuum that requires bags - if you want the "self-emptying" thing? What an actual F iRobot?
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby jdong » September 17th, 2018, 10:36 am

gregj wrote:one thing that is enraging me, how dare they in 2018 introduce a vacuum that requires bags - if you want the "self-emptying" thing? What an actual F iRobot?

I wish they weren’t 14.99 for 3, but I actually prefer bag based mechanisms, as someone with pretty bad allergies. Can’t tell you the number of times I’ve emptied the Roomba or a bagless Dyson and the ensuing dust cloud ruins a pair of contact lenses for me.

But these prices are kind of too profit greedy, like the Braava Jet pads. I hope they actually last as long as they claim.
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby gregj » September 17th, 2018, 10:45 am

In this day and age, creating more garbage in the name of cleaning your house is the wrong way to go.
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » September 18th, 2018, 6:57 am

where is hidden the exhaust port ?
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby ps0001 » September 18th, 2018, 10:01 am

piokrza wrote:where is hidden the exhaust port ?

To empty the bin? It's on the bottom of the bin. You can see it in this picture you posted, right under the words "Automatic Dirt Disposal":

https://spectrum.ieee.org/image/MzEyNTA2OQ.jpeg
ps0001
Robot Groupie

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat