Any robot that doesn't scratch hardwood floor (Roomba did)

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Any robot that doesn't scratch hardwood floor (Roomba did)

Postby Excalibur3 » September 17th, 2018, 7:54 am

Hi,

I read all the comments warning about Roomba scratching hardwood floors, but I thought an electrical tape on the front wheel can fix it - unfortunately it didn't and after just 2 runs I have scratches all over the floor (https://imgur.com/a/0KyYgMY)

Is there any robot that can vacuum hardwood floors without scratching? I think it is the plastic front wheel that does that - I looked at Neato, but at least from the pictures on the internet it seems it has also 2 plastic wheels that might cause scratches too.

Thank you!
Excalibur3

Re: Any robot that doesn't scratch hardwood floor (Roomba di

Postby Brett » September 17th, 2018, 9:24 pm

It is completely illogical that the plastic wheel could scratch a hardwood floor. If the Roomba is scratching it, there is something else doing it. Post pics of the underside of your Roomba.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby Per L » September 18th, 2018, 7:30 am

I agree!
No problems at all with scratches after 4-5 years of use (Roomba 630) and I have only hardwood floors
Per L
Robot Groupie

Postby RTC » September 19th, 2018, 11:15 pm

Excalibur3 wrote:Hi,

I read all the comments warning about Roomba scratching hardwood floors, but I thought an electrical tape on the front wheel can fix it - unfortunately it didn't and after just 2 runs I have scratches all over the floor (https://imgur.com/a/0KyYgMY)

Is there any robot that can vacuum hardwood floors without scratching? I think it is the plastic front wheel that does that - I looked at Neato, but at least from the pictures on the internet it seems it has also 2 plastic wheels that might cause scratches too.

Thank you!

Are they scratches in the wood itself (unlikely) or just in the finish? If the finish is a floor wax, that could scratch but buffing or rewaxing should solve it. You might also try switching the type of finish to one more resistant to scratching.
RTC

Postby George Jetson » September 29th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Excalibur3,
Your scratches appear to be continuous and describing an arc. The only way the front wheel could form them in that manner is if something abrasive were embedded in the wheel and the wheel wasn't turning.
I don't think this can be the case however because the sensor that determines whether or not the robot is moving does so by monitoring the alternating patterns of white and black from a rotating front wheel. If your front wheel isn't turning, the robot would think it was stuck and should go into an "extraction" routine where it spins rapidly and attempts to drive out of the stuck condition in different directions until successful.

You don't say what model you have, but I'd look in a couple of places that are common to many Roombas:

1) All models (that I'm aware of) have two small "rub strips" on either side of the CHM (Cleaning Head Module - where the brushes mount). These rub strips are made from a softer material than the CHM and are glued into a recess on the CHM. It's possible something abrasive has either become embedded in the rub strip itself, or in the small space between the rub strip and the CHM. It should be easily felt with your finger (just be cautious in case it's a piece of glass).

2) The CHM's on Roomba 5XX/6XX/7XX series robots have metal "bails" that help prevent larger items from getting tangled in Roomba's brushes. It's possible a hair/lint ball has wrapped itself around one of the bails and managed to snag whatever is causing your scratches.

CHM.jpg

#2 would be pretty obvious, so my money's on #1. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Dave

Rosie (Retired): Trusty 560 with numerous mods and hacks - Adopted 12/2007
Rosie 2.0: Bone stock 960 - Adopted 09/2018
George Jetson

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat