roomba i7 cloud issues

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

roomba i7 cloud issues

Postby wat » September 29th, 2018, 6:40 pm

anyone had issues with the i7 refusing to connect to the irobot cloud? this prevents the robot from updating, and basically doing anything besides acting like a dumb roomba.

i noticed that when registering the roomba w/ the phone application it would use a serial number that's different from the actual serial number that's under the trash bin on the roomba. (it is wifi connected, and the signal is great. i can control it locally via the phone app) i'm not sure if this is preventing a successful cloud registration or not? i attempted to register manually on the irobot website, but it didn't seem to make a difference at all. i've also factory reset, pulled the batter, reinstalled the phone app etc etc.

when calling irobot they informed me this was a known bug/issue that impacts some i7's and they would be pushing out an update in mid october to correct the issue. i'm not sure how they plan on pushing out anything if it won't even connect to the cloud / and download the day 1 update thats already out there.
wat

Re: roomba i7 cloud issues

Postby dpends » October 2nd, 2018, 10:15 am

I haven't checked the serial number issue, but am having the same problem. I too am curious about how they intend to push an update to a machine that won't connect. Maybe they will enable updating via the app.
dpends

Postby dpends » October 2nd, 2018, 10:32 am

Ok - talked with Irobot support - the agent indicated that they have a list of affected roombas (e.g., affected serial numbers) and are able to push the update to machines even if they can't connect to the cloud.

I'm probably just going to exchange mine and hope I get one that isn't affected. Not really a great start.
dpends

Postby markusg » October 2nd, 2018, 11:51 am

I've noticed that my unit never loads the smart maps. It did update, though. I haven't gotten a response from support yet. I'm hoping for a quick fix.
markusg

Postby wat » October 2nd, 2018, 2:44 pm

markusg wrote:I've noticed that my unit never loads the smart maps. It did update, though. I haven't gotten a response from support yet. I'm hoping for a quick fix.

guy in another thread said he had similar issues w/ smart maps on android and that clearing the data for the irobot app and readding the roomba resolved it.
wat

Postby markusg » October 2nd, 2018, 9:19 pm

Hey, that did it! Thank you!
markusg

Postby ctnguye3 » October 3rd, 2018, 8:28 am

Purchased my i7 a couple of days ago and still can't get it to connect to the cloud, I'm having the same issues as you all. I tried everything (reset roomba, delete app, created new account, reset wifi) with no success. I don't want to go through the return process, especially if theres a chance I end up getting another unit with the same issue. Dpends, were you able to exchange yours with a working unit?
ctnguye3

Postby dpends » October 3rd, 2018, 10:17 am

I haven't tried yet - will wait till the weekend. I got it from bed bath and beyond and their return policy should allow for an exchange.

For what its worth, IRobot support has been proactive since I contacted them yesterday. They have called and emailed several times and asked me to send in pictures of the serial number tag. I did verify it is the same number as is showing up in the app, so a little different than Wat's experience.
dpends

Postby ctnguye3 » October 3rd, 2018, 11:45 am

I'll give them a call tonight to let them know I'm having the same issues. Not sure about my serial number matching but I'll check it out tonight. I have 30 days to exchange mine, but I got it online so it would be a pain to return and exchange. if there's indeed a fix by mid-October, I'm willing to wait since it would take about the same time as an online exchange.
ctnguye3

Postby wat » October 3rd, 2018, 6:23 pm

i received my replacement roomba today. i docked it, and it immediately let me register w/ the cloud and is now proceeding to install updates. *fingers crossed*

serial number in the app and under the bin match w/ this one.
wat

Postby ctnguye3 » October 4th, 2018, 7:54 am

I contacted iRobot last night and they basically gave me the same response (wait for mid-Oct update). BTW, the serial number matched on my Roomba with the one on the app. I am going to exchange mine, since I brought it online, I have to ship it back. By the time I get the new unit, it will be mid-Oct, so if the new unit has the same issue, hopefully the update will be release by then.
ctnguye3

Postby justflie » October 5th, 2018, 12:30 pm

+1. Mine worked fine out of the box and then exhibited this issue after an update. My serials do not match. I’ll try the delete data/re add roomba suggestion and see how it goes.

Edit: this didn’t work for me. Deleted the app, reader roomba. Same problem.
justflie
Robot Addict

Postby ctnguye3 » October 5th, 2018, 10:46 pm

Just curious, what firmware are you on?
ctnguye3

Postby wat » October 6th, 2018, 12:01 am

i know you're asking justflie - but for comparison my replacement/working one is running 1.2.7
wat

Postby ctnguye3 » October 6th, 2018, 8:05 am

Thanks wat, my firmware out of the box was 1.0.8, I was prompted to update but couldnt because of the cloud issues. I wonder if firmware 1.2.7 is the fix for these issues. I’ve decided to hold on to my defective unit since it’s such a hassle to ship back and wait for the exchange, but if this doesn’t get fix by mid Oct as promised, then i’ll request a return/exchange.
ctnguye3

Postby wat » October 6th, 2018, 1:08 pm

yeah i'm not sure. my replacement was 1.0.8 out of the box (same as my broken one) and it did two consecutive updates after initially connecting it to the cloud. the 1.2.7 update is dated 10/2/2018.
wat

Postby N1831 » October 7th, 2018, 1:40 pm

$1000 machine that can’t connect. My serials match, unable to register, unable to update, without connectivity I’m unable to see history, reports, unable to see maps. No 2nd chances, sending this brick back and getting a Dyson
N1831

Postby ctnguye3 » October 10th, 2018, 2:58 pm

iRobot just release a new update for the iPhone and Android, in the notes they mention "Roomba e and i Series compatibility", I won't be able to test it out until tonight when I get off work, can someone verify if the new update fixes the cloud issues we're having.
ctnguye3

Postby Lythian » October 10th, 2018, 7:29 pm

No change with app update. Probably not until robot software is updated. Have same issue with two different serial numbers showing up. No history access, no smart maps, no notifications sent to app.
Lythian

Postby ctnguye3 » October 11th, 2018, 8:00 am

I can confirm, the app update did not fix it. It's almost "mid" October so hopefully we get the fix soon, I guess the lesson here is don't buy new release products for the first few months... unless you want to be one of the lucky ones to beta test their products.
ctnguye3

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat