Short Review of Stubborn i7+

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Postby todo » October 7th, 2018, 11:10 am

I have been lurking in this forum - thanks to the admin and moderators for hosting such a great forum.
Owner of irobot 980 for a couple of years I received my i7 Plus on the 16th of September.
Loving this robot - was able to map out the entire first floor which is mostly wooden floor and tile with some rugs.
My first floor is 4500 square feet plus and from time to time I baby sit my English Golden Retriever so there are hair everywhere when that happens.
Overall a big big improvement from the 980 - the robot is very quiet, for my size home it used to take 6 to 7 hours with a few charges and with no one at the home to empty the garbage bin jobs had to be ended.
Not with the i7.... it keeps going like the energizer bunny.
The whole house (first floor) is mapped and I have divided it into 14 rooms (some small) and get individually clean them with a low noise floor the usability is now off the charts good.
Now for one maybe alarming good/bad quality - I think it is a good quality but others may not like it.
The i7 NEVER gets stuck - I have number of spots where I put the virtual walls for the 980 but the i7 never gets stuck it pushes its way out...
In my training run - the i7 was so stubborn that it it pushed out of under the furniture and every other place so much so that now it has gashes on the top - and scorches on the bumpers.
I called robot and all they did was to ship me a free virtual wall (which I am glad I don't even need with the i7) - I don't care about the cosmetics of the robot as long as usability is good but some may not like this stubborn behavior.
I do plan to buy the extended warranty from Best Buy just in case....

todo

Postby jdong » October 7th, 2018, 11:26 am

Great review!

I totally agree, the i7 has better obstacle escape compared to even the 980. I was planning on skipping the kitchen because the 980 always gets itself stuck under the cabinets. But the i7 conquers that like a boss.

Mine is starting to have some battle scars too but Roombas are tough! My older ones look like they’ve been through a war zone but they still work as well as day one.

Can you identify what’s causing the deep scratches? Is it some metal under furniture that you could address?
jdong
Robot Addict

Re: Short Review of Stubborn i7+

Postby rotorwash » October 7th, 2018, 11:36 am

wow I would worry about battle scars on the camera window. That would be my only worry other than that its just character.
rotorwash

Postby todo » October 7th, 2018, 11:36 am

I cannot - but my guess is that it tried to go under a low long L shaped couch front legs sitting on a rug ...
Do you recommend a extended warranty? I bought one for the 980 but it has worked flawlessly.
todo

Postby jdong » October 7th, 2018, 11:49 am

todo wrote:I cannot - but my guess is that it tried to go under a low long L shaped couch front legs sitting on a rug ...
Do you recommend a extended warranty? I bought one for the 980 but it has worked flawlessly.

I absolutely did when I used Neatos. I’m not trying to be mean about Neatos but they seemed to always break on me in rather unrepairable ways.

But my Roomba 780, 880, and 980 all worked great for me and I would’ve lost money on extended warranties for them. I do all my robot purchases from Bed Bath though because of their generous return policy. My personal policy is I’ll take advantage of it only if one of them break. So far that’s yet to happen.

So I guess my personal stance is no on the extended warranty but I don’t want to lead you to that decision then have something break :D
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby todo » October 7th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Thanks... I will pass on the warranty.
todo

Postby ps0001 » October 7th, 2018, 10:04 pm

jdong wrote:Mine is starting to have some battle scars too but Roombas are tough! My older ones look like they’ve been through a war zone but they still work as well as day one.

It's a downside of these shiny, painted plastics. I could spruce up my 530 with a melamine ("Magic") sponge because there was no coating to scratch through.

jdong wrote:But my Roomba 780, 880, and 980 all worked great for me and I would’ve lost money on extended warranties for them.

So I guess my personal stance is no on the extended warranty but I don’t want to lead you to that decision then have something break :D

I agree. My 530 is over ten years old, but let's say it's effectively four years old because I replaced the battery and upgraded the CHM and bin around 2014. It's still working like a champ. Like anything, these robots require a little maintenance, but as long as you keep their moving parts clean, they'll last a long time.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat