Hair issues with the I7

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Hair issues with the I7

Postby rotorwash » October 7th, 2018, 11:30 am

So I came across a Youtube video of a guy with both the 980 and a I7. The video shows that the i7 doesn't pick up the hair but just clumps it together and spits it out. He then goes and runs the 980 which vacuums up the hair that the i7 left behind.
He has already sent one I7 back for issues. Anyone else have issues like this?

My first impression was the extractors are not getting the job done or not enough suction. My other thought was that the bin gets clogged up and can't handle large amounts of hair at one time.

Any thoughts?
rotorwash

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby todo » October 7th, 2018, 12:11 pm

I just posted on my Stubborn i7... have both he 980 and the i7...
Both remove dog hair the same - I believe i7 is doing a better job of cleaning.
todo

Postby jdong » October 7th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Yeah even the 980 I’ve seen generate clumps of hair on first pass then pick it up on the second or third. I would say valid observation, maybe not the right conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jdong
Robot Addict

Postby rotorwash » October 7th, 2018, 7:04 pm

rotorwash

Postby ps0001 » October 7th, 2018, 9:49 pm

jdong wrote:Yeah even the 980 I’ve seen generate clumps of hair on first pass then pick it up on the second or third. I would say valid observation, maybe not the right conclusion.

I agree. Occasionally it leaves a clump of hair after the first pass, but it'll pick it up eventually. Overall, I think the i7 does a better job cleaning the area rugs in my house. With the 980, I used to have to touch up the rugs with my Dyson maybe once or twice a week; but with the i7, I haven't needed to do it more than once every two weeks.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby rotorwash » November 7th, 2018, 10:00 am

So I traded my 980 in on an i7 and my impression after my first run isn't that great.
First off it did puke out some hair balls as stated earlier. I'm going to give it an excuse for filled dust bin which leads me to my next issue. Having two dogs that shed long hair the bin fills quickly. I'm hoping after the mapping is finished I can break it down to single rooms so I can empty the bin before it is filled. I really wish it was as big or bigger than the 980.
I didn't get the self empty "plus" only because I have to untangle the wheel and extractors after every run like the 980 because of the long hair.

It also has trouble getting back on the dock compared to the 980. Ok fixed this issue Prof Grif hitting the dock like a champ now.

I do like that it is quieter now I can hear the drive motors and extractors even though it sounds like its dying or straining. Plus, I can run it during work hours and since I work at home this is a bonus.
Anyways I am banking on the mapping to turn my neg opinion around. Still open minded
rotorwash

Postby Stingfello » November 8th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Similar issues here. My problem is that the i7+ will work fine, and then will start leaving hairballs after (I assume) the bin fills up. It seems to me that the full-bin sensors are not sensitive enough, and allow the bin to get overfilled (and puke hair) before it realizes it and heads back for an empty. This is my second i7+, as the first would not recognize it was full AT ALL. It would vacuum the entire house dropping hair all the time, even though it was set top pause (aka empty) when full. The second bot does empty periodically, but only after it's been 'full' for too long.

I am working out some remedies. First of which is breaking up the house into rooms and scheduling single rooms at a time to force an empty in between. Also, I may try swapping in my 980 extractors (if possible), as it would not drop near as much hair even ion very full. Guessing the extractor differences my be part of the problem.

Thoughts?
Stingfello

Postby bytemaster0 » November 8th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Extractors cannot be switched. New design for i7+, especially as the adjusting cleaning head is different. Have you tried calling iRobot? They are generally pretty responsive to try to troubleshoot things - although they are frustrating in other aspects. Might be worth a shot. Worst-case, you could always semi-obscure the bin's full detection sensors so that smaller amounts of hair trigger it.
bytemaster0

Postby bytemaster0 » November 8th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Extractors cannot be switched. New design for i7+, especially as the adjusting cleaning head is different. Have you tried calling iRobot? They are generally pretty responsive to try to troubleshoot things - although they are frustrating in other aspects. Might be worth a shot. Worst-case, you could always semi-obscure the bin's full detection sensors so that smaller amounts of hair trigger it.
bytemaster0

Postby rotorwash » November 8th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Funny I have mine set to keep running with a filled bin mostly because I was mapping. I had a better day today no puking of hair that I noticed but the bin was filled. I did notice that this bot like the 980 packs the bin with hair tightly just smaller bin.

This bot attracts more hair to tangle up at the ends of the extractors compared to the 980. Not a big deal because I do clean and empty after every run. It might be because the dogs are blowing their coats or the extractors are more efficient.

I do love the mapping and now break up the rooms and clean one or two rooms bring it back empty, de-fur and charge before finishing the house. If I had the self empty I would be poor buying bags, that's for sure.
Last edited by rotorwash on November 10th, 2018, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rotorwash

Postby Stingfello » November 9th, 2018, 10:29 am

Hmmm... intrigued by the idea to partially obscure the full-bin sensors so they trigger earlier. I wonder if it would work to partially cover one of the sensors with electrical tape, or better to entirely obscure a sensor with something shaded but translucent? Don't know well-enough how the sensors work..may need to experiment a bit.
Stingfello

Postby bytemaster0 » November 9th, 2018, 11:38 am

I'd actually try a tape that is translucent, but reduces the amount of light. I haven't taken apart a sensor, so I don't know how they're built - whether or not they use multiple IR tx/rx pairs, or just one, or if they can detect amount of light drop off, or whether it's purely binary (obstructed, not obstructed). If it measures the drop in light amplitude, it might be best to "dim" the amount of light it receives with some tape that is darker in the red/IR region, but doesn't completely block it.
bytemaster0

Postby Stingfello » November 9th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Was thinking along the same lines byte. Thanks for the thoughts.
Stingfello

Postby vic7767 » November 9th, 2018, 12:25 pm

The sad thing with the new i7 is that there does not seem to be a way to access any possible Built in Tests to evaluate any sensor tweeking ideas or hardware reports of any kind.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby rotorwash » November 10th, 2018, 1:51 pm

So Saturday is here its cold and snowy and I don't want to do much. So fired up the i7 let it do just our living room. After it was done I emptied the bin and let it charge. I did notice some hair but figured the dogs where running around during the job.
So this afternoon ran the roomba again in the living room and watched as it puked hair after its third line of vacuuming. This didn't happen with the 980 and the i7 was just emptied.
Something is not right with this one. It seems to gather the hair up until it gets a glob and then just spits it out.
rotorwash

Postby NoJimForHome » November 10th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Not having either model, my only thought (as a German Shepherd owner) would be this: if the bin is full but it's leaving hairballs, that still makes my life easier because the Roomba is taking a bunch of spread-out hairs and putting them in one spot for easy pick-up.

Mine come back with packed bins every time; I'm sure they're leaving some hair on the ground; they have to be. Always happy to pick up a random hairball after it's done. :)
NoJimForHome

Postby rotorwash » November 11th, 2018, 8:52 am

NoJimForHome wrote:Not having either model, my only thought (as a German Shepherd owner) would be this: if the bin is full but it's leaving hairballs, that still makes my life easier because the Roomba is taking a bunch of spread-out hairs and putting them in one spot for easy pick-up.

Mine come back with packed bins every time; I'm sure they're leaving some hair on the ground; they have to be. Always happy to pick up a random hairball after it's done. :)

Thats true I do go around with a hand held dyson. But the point is the bin is empty and it's still puking hair balls. It defeats the purpose of having a vac
rotorwash

Postby Stingfello » November 11th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Well.... Not having had time to experiment with translucent tape or other measures, I've come to find that my original hairball problem has been largely remedied. I believe the fix to be a combination of the single-room-schedule strategy and, oddly enough, allowing the full-bin sensors to become dirty! I guess it make sense for them to be calibrated to resist false-positives when partially dirty, which consequently means they may not trigger as easily when clean. I've found that the auto-empty feature appears to happen earlier, and don't plan to clean the sensors anytime soon.
Stingfello

Postby NoJimForHome » November 11th, 2018, 4:38 pm

rotorwash wrote:Thats true I do go around with a hand held dyson. But the point is the bin is empty and it's still puking hair balls. It defeats the purpose of having a vac
Oh. I must have missed the part about "bin is empty." Yes... that'd be annoying.
NoJimForHome

Postby rotorwash » November 12th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Here is an example of the puking hair. Picture taken after second run and clean bin

(I have no idea why the image turned)

If I could get a 980 with the brains of an i7 that would be a home run (imo)
Attachments
IMG_6029.jpg
puking hair
rotorwash

Next

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat