Hair issues with the I7

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby ps0001 » November 24th, 2018, 12:39 pm

It's weird how we had such opposite experiences with both the 980 and i7. I didn't have any complaints about the 980's cleaning power, but its inability to clean a single room on its own was a huge factor in pushing me to get an i7.

I only have a few rugs--no carpets--but it seems like the i7 cleans them better than the 980. It's definitely better at extracting fine dust and dirt, but I have a golden retriever, and I think it's equally good at picking up fur. Sometimes it leaves balls of fur on the first pass, but it usually gets them on the second pass. And that's less likely to happen if I'm sure to run the Roomba every single day.

In my experience, the i7's extractors are far less likely to get fur tangled in the ends. I got into a habit of removing the bearings every time I cleaned the 980's extractors, but it's not really necessary with the i7. On a similar note, the front caster's axle doesn't seem to be removable, but it also doesn't seem to collect debris between the axle and the wheel.

I'm not sure what accounts for the difference in our experiences, but I'm happy with the i7.
ps0001
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 145
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby jdong » November 24th, 2018, 12:50 pm

I guess that is the world of design trade offs.

I’ve got a mix of carpet, hardwood, but don’t have pets (I do have family members with long hair though)

For me, the i7 is also a slam dunk improvement. It’s so much quieter even compared to the 980 in Eco Mode. It seems to clean carpets about the same as the 980 but on hardwood the new brushes seem much better at picking up small debris that the 980 wouldn’t be able to get.

On the navigation front, it gets cleaning jobs done maybe 30% faster. It is much much less likely to get itself stuck on common obstacles for the 980 — it’s on its 50th consecutive cleaning job without getting stuck!


It’s good to hear they were willing to take it back. Hopefully they can figure out what the weakness of the i7 is for your particular use case.
jdong
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 317
Joined: April 10th, 2015, 11:24 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby rotorwash » November 24th, 2018, 1:17 pm

ps0001 wrote:It's weird how we had such opposite experiences with both the 980 and i7. I didn't have any complaints about the 980's cleaning power, but its inability to clean a single room on its own was a huge factor in pushing me to get an i7.

I only have a few rugs--no carpets--but it seems like the i7 cleans them better than the 980. It's definitely better at extracting fine dust and dirt, but I have a golden retriever, and I think it's equally good at picking up fur. Sometimes it leaves balls of fur on the first pass, but it usually gets them on the second pass. And that's less likely to happen if I'm sure to run the Roomba every single day.

In my experience, the i7's extractors are far less likely to get fur tangled in the ends. I got into a habit of removing the bearings every time I cleaned the 980's extractors, but it's not really necessary with the i7. On a similar note, the front caster's axle doesn't seem to be removable, but it also doesn't seem to collect debris between the axle and the wheel.

I'm not sure what accounts for the difference in our experiences, but I'm happy with the i7.


Yes the i7 I would get way more hair stuck to the extractor and the ends would be crazy filled. It was like the extractors picked the hair up and like a taffy machine would handle the hair till it wrapped around the ends or got spit out.
Having two Goldens I knew I would be cleaning the bot with every run thats why I didn't get the plus. But watching it spit out the hairballs even after a second run was too much. The 980 just did a better job even over our waffle patterned waterHog runners. The i7 would clean the waterhog runners and they would look the same as before the vacuuming. The 980 did a better job but usually I need to run the old Kirby over them. I think the waffle pattern really effects the suction. Anyways I will be watching for any improvements and asked them to check out my bot if its faulty.
rotorwash
 
Posts: 47
Joined: September 16th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby ps0001 » November 24th, 2018, 4:23 pm

rotorwash wrote:Having two Goldens I knew I would be cleaning the bot with every run thats why I didn't get the plus.

That's exactly why I didn't get the plus either. Maybe they'll come up with a better way to keep fur off the rollers in the future. The Samsung Powerbots have some sort of blade that's supposed to automatically cut hair/fibers that get wrapped around its brush, but I don't know how well it works.

rotorwash wrote:The 980 did a better job but usually I need to run the old Kirby over them.

I run a cordless Dyson over our area rugs once or twice a week just to get any stubborn bits of fur, but the i7 does a good job overall--as did the 980.

I'm curious what iRobot says when they get your i7.
ps0001
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 145
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby ps0001 » November 24th, 2018, 6:18 pm

jdong wrote:On the navigation front, it gets cleaning jobs done maybe 30% faster. It is much much less likely to get itself stuck on common obstacles for the 980 — it’s on its 50th consecutive cleaning job without getting stuck!

Oddly, mine consistently gets stuck in the same spot as my 980. It's hard to explain, but the sides of my couch have a small taper that opens to the rear of the furniture. The largest point is just taller than the Roomba, and both models tend to force themselves into the gap until they get stuck.

I can get around it by opening the foot rests, which changes the shape of the sides and almost eliminates the gap, but I plan on making a few hidden bumpers. I'm avoiding cleaning on a schedule until then because I don't want to forget to open the foot rests.

Interestingly, my 530--which got stuck in other places--never had a problem here.
ps0001
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 145
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby rotorwash » November 25th, 2018, 12:51 pm

ps0001 wrote:
jdong wrote:On the navigation front, it gets cleaning jobs done maybe 30% faster. It is much much less likely to get itself stuck on common obstacles for the 980 — it’s on its 50th consecutive cleaning job without getting stuck!

Oddly, mine consistently gets stuck in the same spot as my 980. It's hard to explain, but the sides of my couch have a small taper that opens to the rear of the furniture. The largest point is just taller than the Roomba, and both models tend to force themselves into the gap until they get stuck.

I can get around it by opening the foot rests, which changes the shape of the sides and almost eliminates the gap, but I plan on making a few hidden bumpers. I'm avoiding cleaning on a schedule until then because I don't want to forget to open the foot rests.

Interestingly, my 530--which got stuck in other places--never had a problem here.


Both my 980 and i7 had issues with a chair that had the same problems the bottom sloped just enough to trap the poor bot. I actually made small wood blocks to lift the chair up a 1/4 inch that solved my problem. Might want to try something like that.
rotorwash
 
Posts: 47
Joined: September 16th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby ps0001 » November 25th, 2018, 6:58 pm

rotorwash wrote:Both my 980 and i7 had issues with a chair that had the same problems the bottom sloped just enough to trap the poor bot. I actually made small wood blocks to lift the chair up a 1/4 inch that solved my problem. Might want to try something like that.

It's hard to explain, but that wouldn't work unless I lifted the whole couch 3-4"+. I'm going to make a post about the few fixes and hacks I've had to do to Roomba-proof my home after I get around to dealing with the couch issue.
ps0001
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 145
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby leonicholson » November 27th, 2018, 10:21 am

My brush model requires frequent air filter cleaning. (I switch every time I empty).
How does this work with the i7?
leonicholson
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 129
Joined: November 3rd, 2017, 5:25 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby rotorwash » November 27th, 2018, 10:25 am

leonicholson wrote:My brush model requires frequent air filter cleaning. (I switch every time I empty).
How does this work with the i7?

Both the 980 and the i7 the filter would get a good coat of fine dust on. I have a hand held dyson so I would vacuum the dust bin and filter with every job. I usually need to inspect the extractors and center wheel for tangled hair so it just became a routine takes less than two minutes.
rotorwash
 
Posts: 47
Joined: September 16th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby ps0001 » November 27th, 2018, 10:54 am

rotorwash wrote:Both the 980 and the i7 the filter would get a good coat of fine dust on. I have a hand held dyson so I would vacuum the dust bin and filter with every job. I usually need to inspect the extractors and center wheel for tangled hair so it just became a routine takes less than two minutes.

I do the exact same thing! I even have a cordless Dyson too. :cheers:
ps0001
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 145
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby leonicholson » November 27th, 2018, 11:11 am

rotorwash wrote:Both the 980 and the i7 the filter would get a good coat of fine dust on. I have a hand held dyson so I would vacuum the dust bin and filter with every job. I usually need to inspect the extractors and center wheel for tangled hair so it just became a routine takes less than two minutes.

So the self emptying feature (rather than manually dumping the bin) isn't a major time saver?

I also clean my filter every time I empty and check the wheel, etc.
I use older models with bin combs and have never had a real hair problem.
leonicholson
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 129
Joined: November 3rd, 2017, 5:25 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby jdong » November 27th, 2018, 2:30 pm

leonicholson wrote:
rotorwash wrote:Both the 980 and the i7 the filter would get a good coat of fine dust on. I have a hand held dyson so I would vacuum the dust bin and filter with every job. I usually need to inspect the extractors and center wheel for tangled hair so it just became a routine takes less than two minutes.

So the self emptying feature (rather than manually dumping the bin) isn't a major time saver?

I also clean my filter every time I empty and check the wheel, etc.
I use older models with bin combs and have never had a real hair problem.


I don’t find filter cleaning necessary with every cleaning cycle. Maybe once every few weeks. The fine dust doesn’t seem to have an appreciable impact on performance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jdong
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 317
Joined: April 10th, 2015, 11:24 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby ps0001 » November 27th, 2018, 3:56 pm

leonicholson wrote:So the self emptying feature (rather than manually dumping the bin) isn't a major time saver?

It's not for me because I have pets with long hair that clog the rollers after 3-5 runs. If I lived in a house with just adults and no pets, I probably would've gotten the i7+.

Also, I should clarify: I clean my filter the same way as rotorwash, but I don't clean it as often. I clean it with my Dyson maybe every one to two weeks, then I blow it out with compressed air every one to two months.
ps0001
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 145
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 4:25 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby rotorwash » November 27th, 2018, 7:47 pm

ps0001 wrote:
leonicholson wrote:So the self emptying feature (rather than manually dumping the bin) isn't a major time saver?

It's not for me because I have pets with long hair that clog the rollers after 3-5 runs. If I lived in a house with just adults and no pets, I probably would've gotten the i7+.

Also, I should clarify: I clean my filter the same way as rotorwash, but I don't clean it as often. I clean it with my Dyson maybe every one to two weeks, then I blow it out with compressed air every one to two months.


Yes having two dogs that are very active outside, the filter gets a nice coat of fine dirt after one run.
I agree with ps0001 if I didn't have dogs or active kids an i7+ would work fine. It might be why I feel the new smaller filter is a bad design making it more restricting especially if not serviced regularly.

I will say that the carpets have looked cleaner and less dust on furniture.


Dyson hand held vac is a must!!!!!! and I do the same and use my compressor in the garage to really clean the filter every week or so. ha ha :agree:
rotorwash
 
Posts: 47
Joined: September 16th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby leonicholson » November 27th, 2018, 8:01 pm

rotorwash wrote:I will say that the carpets have looked cleaner and less dust on furniture.

We've also noticed the reduction in furniture and shelf dust with daily Roomba use and cleaned filters.
Very important with my wife's allergies.
leonicholson
Robot Addict
 
Posts: 129
Joined: November 3rd, 2017, 5:25 pm

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby rotorwash » December 6th, 2018, 10:01 am

So after countless conversations with iRobot about my i7 that was not cleaning well I sent it back and asked if they found anything wrong with it.
I'm not sure if they actually tested it or not but they came back with " Based on his behavior he was not providing the correct function to power his cleaning head and bin motor as expected"
First I find it funny they talk about these machines as him or he second they really want me to try it again and tell me that the i7 is way better a vac than the 980 was.

I have run my 980 now for two weeks and not once has it spit a hair ball and I have skipped a day which with my two dogs is huge amounts of hair!

I am really torn to try again only because I loved the new mapping. Since now I have to drop the 980 in a room close the door and let it eat. I rather have it more autonomous
rotorwash
 
Posts: 47
Joined: September 16th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Previous

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: im1kissfan, jdong, johnnyh, leonicholson, Miles267, RockinRay, Serge_ISA, sondejmarek and 504 guests