Hair issues with the I7

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: Hair issues with the I7

Postby ps0001 » November 12th, 2018, 3:49 pm

rotorwash wrote:If I could get a 980 with the brains of an i7 that would be a home run (imo)

I found that the rollers are interchangeable between the 980 and i7. Maybe the older style will work better with your carpet?
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby rotorwash » November 12th, 2018, 3:59 pm

I am tempted to try the rear looks the same its the larger paddled one thats different
rotorwash

Postby Stingfello » November 12th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Thanks for this discussion guys. I'm looking for real confirmation if the extractors are interchangeable, and if they do fit, if installing 980 extractors into the I7 otherwise compromises cleaning ability. Agree with the hopes that a 980-like clean can be had from an i7 with the old rollers. Thanks!
Stingfello

Postby ps0001 » November 12th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Stingfello wrote:Thanks for this discussion guys. I'm looking for real confirmation if the extractors are interchangeable, and if they do fit, if installing 980 extractors into the I7 otherwise compromises cleaning ability. Agree with the hopes that a 980-like clean can be had from an i7 with the old rollers. Thanks!

I'm not sure how I'd quantitatively measure cleaning ability, but I personally tried installing the rollers from my 980 into my i7 and I can confirm the fit.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby rotorwash » November 13th, 2018, 8:57 am

Irobot contacted me about this issue and had me go through some things to actually make sure the vacuum part was working. I have been skeptical about that for a while since the vac is so much more quite than the 980.
Another thing I noticed was that the 980 would pack the hair into the bin. I wish I had a picture of it. It would amaze me how tightly packed. The i7 spitting hair the bin would be half full and very loose.

Anyways I did the tests and I can hear the motor spool down so it is working. I wish I could test how much suction it was doing.

I traded my 980 in for the i7 so I can't do a back to back comparison but like the video I linked earlier in this thread I have the exact same issues.
rotorwash

Postby rotorwash » November 15th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Today I called iRobot ready to send the i7 back. The guy seems to think that the cleaning module is not working. so they are sending me one. I'm not sure but I don't think the suction is not as great as the 980 was. I don't feel exhaust like the 980.

I really do like the mapping update but the 980 was so much better at handling dog hair IMO
rotorwash

Postby Stingfello » November 15th, 2018, 10:19 pm

Well I'm pretty close to calling this one 'solved'. I swapped in the faithful 980 extractors into i7+, and have (for the first time) experienced cleaning runs with no hairballs whatsoever. Going to keep testing, but these were the first runs to leave clean floors with the i7+. Extractor fit is perfect, and makes the same ground-contact as 980 did/does. In fact, the i7 extractors fit just fine in the 980 as well. Perfect fit, just change out the bearing caps.

I'll repost if things go bad from here, but I'm thinking this is the solution. I don't know if its the larger fins on the i7 extractors, or some other reason that the hair gets balled/spit (like my style of carpet, or the rugs in the linked video earlier). I bet if that guy in the video ran the i7 with the 980 rollers, his results would improve greatly.

Anyway, if you don't hear from me in this thread again, it's cause all is going well with the new setup. Thx all.
Stingfello

Postby Stingfello » November 15th, 2018, 10:23 pm

rotorwash wrote:Today I called iRobot ready to send the i7 back. The guy seems to think that the cleaning module is not working. so they are sending me one. I'm not sure but I don't think the suction is not as great as the 980 was. I don't feel exhaust like the 980.

I really do like the mapping update but the 980 was so much better at handling dog hair IMO

By the way rotor... I believe the i7 exhausts downward, not out the back like 980. That's why you can't really feel it from behind. Good luck.
Stingfello

Postby rotorwash » November 16th, 2018, 8:09 am

I actually took it apart last night and the exhaust for the fan goes past the wheel inside the bot towards the front of the bot. I'm not sure thats a great design very restrictive. When I get the new module I will post pictures.
rotorwash

Postby rotorwash » November 17th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Here is proof one can exchange extractors. We purchased a 985 from Costco so I can compare cleaning from the i7 to this one. If I find that the 985 is better I will be sending back the i7. But first I want to experiment with extractors.

I hope this is the answer. Unfortunately I vacuumed everything with the Kirby today so I need to wait for the dogs to load up the carpets again

I really like the brain of the i7 just hate the way it cleans
Attachments
IMG_6042.jpg
rollers
rotorwash

Postby Stingfello » November 17th, 2018, 6:11 pm

980 extractors are the absolute solution for me.
Stingfello

Postby rotorwash » November 17th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Stingfello wrote:980 extractors are the absolute solution for me.

did the extractors work for you?
I just ran mine in the living room. I'm a little impatient but the i7 still left hair balls behind. Not a great test since the carpet was cleaned earlier. But still seeing three clumps of hair on a clean carpet makes me feel it failed.

Tomorrow will run the 985 stock and see if it leaves any clumps behind. I really don't recall my old 980 leaving anything behind.
rotorwash

Postby Stingfello » November 17th, 2018, 8:21 pm

The i7 hasn't dropped a clump since I changed to the 980 extractors. Also, since I've let the full-bin sensors get 'dirty', it empties itself more often. I'm convinced the problem, for me at least, was a combination of a full bin and the large-paddle extractor balling up the hair. I'm betting carpet type has a lot to do with it as well.
Stingfello

Postby rotorwash » November 19th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Replace the cleaner module and same issues. Here is a picture of the fan note the exhaust shoots forward towards the wheel of the bot
Attachments
IMG_6044.jpg
bottom
rotorwash

Postby rotorwash » November 19th, 2018, 8:24 pm

connectors of battery
Attachments
IMG_6045.jpg
bottom
rotorwash

Postby rotorwash » November 19th, 2018, 8:28 pm

As you can see hair just hangs in the tunnel between the rollers and the bin. The Bin wasn't even half full. I tried to post two other photo's but they won't go. The hair gathers on the extractors and on the ends way more than the 980 even when I switched the 980 extractors. That makes me think that the suction isn't as strong or I should say air velocity into the bin
Attachments
IMG_6041.jpg
rotorwash

Postby Stingfello » November 19th, 2018, 11:50 pm

Beginning to suspect yours may actually suffer from a decreased suction. Since I've made the roller switch, I haven't had one deposit of hair in normal use. Also, the lack of others with this apparent problem lends me to think it's a rare issue that depends on suction, carpet type, and extractor type. Good luck with your continued diagnosis!
Stingfello

Postby Brett » November 20th, 2018, 12:57 am

Is the impeller clear of debris?
Is there an issue with the filter that might mean or cause it to pass less air?
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby rotorwash » November 20th, 2018, 9:29 am

Sting,
I do wonder about the carpet. It is a thicker weave. Unfortunately the 980 had no issue with it. The suction seems like the issue. I wonder if iRobot tries to get a better seal for better suction with a weaker motor. It might be grinding the hair into the carpet and not actually picking it up.

I replaced the cleaner module so thats a new vacuum motor and the same results.

Brett,
I clean up everything filter rollers debris bin. Its like new every run.

I am really thinking its time to send it back and enjoy the louder dumber 985
rotorwash

Postby rotorwash » November 23rd, 2018, 7:24 pm

Sadly I'm shipping the i7 back. I tried everything but the 980 cleans so much better. I told them to put me on your waiting list when iRobot comes out with a better vac. So I'm back to rocking a 985 from Costco.

I feel the vac lacks the suction. Hair gets tangled up on the extractors and at the ends of the extractors. The vac doesn't seems to be able to handle the hair once lifted by the extractors. Countless times I have cleaned out hair stuck in the little tunnel between the debris bin and the extractors.

The 980 rarely would have hair tangled around the extractors and when cleaning have less hair wrapped around the ends. I spent two weeks doing back to back tests comparing the two bots.

The i7 was awesome with mapping and room focusing but the quiet motor was very suspect and now I know why.

If your house is mostly dust and light dirt the i7 is a great fit. If you have pets with long hair not good at all.

The iRobot company was great with me trying to figure this out.I had no problems when I said this is the wrong fit for my needs and sent me a return shipping label hassle free.
rotorwash

PreviousNext

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat