Roomba 985 Error 11

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 985 Error 11

Postby Dfm1011 » October 15th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Hello,

After vacuuming the bin out of my BRAND new 985, I think I heard a "click" or something while doing it. But now, the vacuum motor does not turn on AT ALL and it keeps saying "Error 11". I've factory reset the Roomba, took the battery out for a long period of time, etc. Nothing works.

Beforehand, the robot was doing this while it was going back to the dock to recharge. I think it's just a minor bug, and I don't know if it had to do anything with the motor not working anymore, but take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRO-BMmjYIU

Afterwards, I resumed it and the vacuum worked perfectly fine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_bcwgoHMtg

I contacted iRobot. They are sending me a replacement robot. In the mean time, however, of course I want to play with my new toy and have my floors clean. But as I said, the vacuum motor doesn't work after I sucked the dustbin clean with another vacuum. I know I should be patient and wait for the new one. But does anyone have a quick fix that doesn't involve me completely disassembling the robot?

Another concern I have; should I just never vacuum the dang bin out again? I thought you were supposed to clean it every now and then...?
Dfm1011

Re: Roomba 985 Error 11

Postby Dfm1011 » October 17th, 2018, 6:52 am

Sorry for posting twice if that is not allowed. I received my replacement unit. It is not a Roomba 985 or a 980, but instead a Roomba 989. Yes, you read that right. A Roomba 989. It’s probably some kind of special service robot.
Dfm1011

Postby RTC » October 31st, 2018, 1:26 am

Last edited by RTC on November 1st, 2018, 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
RTC

Postby Brett » October 31st, 2018, 5:12 am

That leaf spring prevents you from closing the bin lid if there is no filter in place. If the lid isn't closed the bin cannot be fitted to the robot, so preventing operation without a filter in place. There is no electrical (dis)connection involved.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby Dfm1011 » October 31st, 2018, 6:50 am

Okay I returned the original 985 to Costco and the 989 to iRobot and went ahead and purchased a new 985. That one, like I’ve been saying, is having issues picking up debris because the extractors do not come in contact with hard floors. So, I will be returning my third 980 series robot and iRobot is giving me a discount on the i7.

Anywho, no the filter spring did not break I was still able to insert the bin into the robot completely.
Dfm1011

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat