Roomba 989 Questions

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 989 Questions

Postby Dfm1011 » October 20th, 2018, 9:22 am

Hello, after having my Roomba 985 replaced with a Roomba 989 for almost a week now, I have a few questions about usage and behavior. I’ve been comparing the 989 to the 985 because I haven’t returned the 985 yet. (The vacuum motor in the 985 failed the first day I got it. Thus, I’ve been using the 989’s dustbin in each robot to test them out).

1) On my tile floor (which is uneven) the extractors tend to make a loud buzzing or grinding sound. It is louder in the 989 than it is in the 985. I used the same extractor set and removed the side brush in each and tested them. Is this normal? Video links:

985: https://youtu.be/JAMnGHZ92HQ

989: https://youtu.be/jIVvqsWUxMc

2) On my carpet, I can hear the extractors struggle a bit. It has NOT thrown the extractor error, but frequently I can hear the extractors completely stop to enter anti-tangle mode, and then resume spinning.

3) Is carpet boost worth the extra battery? It took my bot almost 5 hours to clean 500 square feet with it on “automatic” because it had to recharge I think three times, maybe two. My upstairs is mainly carpet, and I previously had a Xiaomi Vacuum and it only took it about an hour. I spent $530 on this device, so if it takes almost 5 hours to clean 500 square feet, which I can do in 30 minutes with an upright, then it’s definitely not worth the price. Anyway, should I just keep in it Eco Mode, or will there be a big performance drop on my carpet?

4) Perhaps im just delusional, but when I received the 989 after having the vacuum motor fail in the 985, it seems as if the motor in the new dustbin is less powerful? It just feels as if the force of air coming out of the vent is less (though it sounds exactly like the 985 did). Pairing with question 1, could there be slight differences in these roombas?

5) When I put the dock on carpet, and start the 989, after it turns around the paths it takes are slightly diagonal instead of perfectly straight. Is this normal?
Dfm1011

Re: Roomba 989 Questions

Postby ps0001 » October 20th, 2018, 9:47 pm

Are you sure you have a 989 and not a 980? I've never heard of a 989 before...
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby Dfm1011 » October 20th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Here’s a picture.
Attachments
D70DBEC9-BE29-4A05-8FE6-AF0605FE59F9.jpeg
Dfm1011

Postby ps0001 » October 20th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Wow, that's interesting. Did you get it directly from iRobot after having trouble with the 985? The 989 must have superceded the 980.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » October 20th, 2018, 11:35 pm

I don't know much about the 989, but I have a strong suspicion that it's almost identical to the 985 and 980 (much like other Roomba series before them). I can try to answer your questions based on my knowledge of the 980.

Dfm1011 wrote:1) On my tile floor (which is uneven) the extractors tend to make a loud buzzing or grinding sound. It is louder in the 989 than it is in the 985. I used the same extractor set and removed the side brush in each and tested them. Is this normal? Video links:

985: https://youtu.be/JAMnGHZ92HQ

989: https://youtu.be/jIVvqsWUxMc

That sound can be alarming if you're new to AeroForce Roomba's, but I don't hear anything abnormal in either video.

Dfm1011 wrote:2) On my carpet, I can hear the extractors struggle a bit. It has NOT thrown the extractor error, but frequently I can hear the extractors completely stop to enter anti-tangle mode, and then resume spinning.

Do you have pets? If you haven't already, I'd inspect the extractors and clear any fur/hair from the ends.

Dfm1011 wrote:3) Is carpet boost worth the extra battery? It took my bot almost 5 hours to clean 500 square feet with it on “automatic” because it had to recharge I think three times, maybe two. My upstairs is mainly carpet, and I previously had a Xiaomi Vacuum and it only took it about an hour. I spent $530 on this device, so if it takes almost 5 hours to clean 500 square feet, which I can do in 30 minutes with an upright, then it’s definitely not worth the price. Anyway, should I just keep in it Eco Mode, or will there be a big performance drop on my carpet?

I think it depends on what kind of dirt you typically find in your carpets. If you have pets and/or kids, it might be worth leaving it on. Something else you might consider is setting the "two pass" and "edge cleaning" settings to automatic; the Roomba should finish its missions much faster that way.

Dfm1011 wrote:4) Perhaps im just delusional, but when I received the 989 after having the vacuum motor fail in the 985, it seems as if the motor in the new dustbin is less powerful? It just feels as if the force of air coming out of the vent is less (though it sounds exactly like the 985 did). Pairing with question 1, could there be slight differences in these roombas?

It's possible, but I think it's unlikely.

Dfm1011 wrote:5) When I put the dock on carpet, and start the 989, after it turns around the paths it takes are slightly diagonal instead of perfectly straight. Is this normal?

If I'm understanding the problem correctly: yes, that's normal. 900 series Roomba's navigate using the dock as their reference, so they don't know if their paths aren't perfectly orthogonal to the walls.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby Dfm1011 » October 20th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Yea I received the 989 directly from iRobot (it’s exactly the same as the 980 it’s just a different number, presumably to signify its a service bot). They saw the video of it grinding on the tile and now they are asking for it back. This is ridiculous. Both my 985 and 989 have had problems. Not leaving a good impression on me, iRobot!
Though it would be cool to keep the 989 for the novelty of having such a unique series number, I don’t want to have to purchase a new extractor set every three weeks. So what I’m gonna do is just stick the 989 bin in the 985 (because as I said before the 985’s vacuum failed the first day I got it) and send back the 989.

EDIT: Also, it almost feels as if I have to choose which bot is less worse! The 985 might break the new bin, and the 989 might damage the extractors! And, today I downloaded the factory default language pack for the 985, and now it has a UK accent! I can’t switch it back to the USA English! AND, the icon that shows the roomba in the menu section of the app is missing for the 985! I’ve tried factory resetting the roomba, uninstalling the app, nothing works. So the 985 has had 1) Vacuum motor issues, and 2) App issues. The 989 has 1) Extractor issues and 2) I can never return it back to Costco if I ever want a refund!

PS. The roomba does not always make paths perpentdicular to the dock. Today, I set the roomba in my room and it went north to south. But when it reached the hallway it started going east to west (it went lengthwise up and down the hallway when it should have gone width wise) So perhaps it’s adjusts its paths to the room shape and length
Attachments
A4893A0E-BEB2-490A-A620-54B949A38AF6.jpeg
Dfm1011

Postby Dfm1011 » October 22nd, 2018, 5:54 pm

I ended up returning the 985 to Costco and getting a replacement. I will eventually send back the 989 to iRobot. This is my third Roomba 980. I haven't noticed anything too terrible, however I have noticed that the extractor module doesn't even touch hard floors at all. (I put the roomba on top of table and looked horizontally at it) Should I be worried?

Also, ive noticed when it finishes charging to resume its cycle, after it turns around it starts going down the paths it originally took in front of the dock, and after around 15 seconds it starts to go back to where it left off. Is this normal?
Dfm1011

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat