Interested in i7+

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Interested in i7+

Postby inetjnky » October 26th, 2018, 2:11 pm

I'm interested in purchasing an i7+ and am worried about scratching my new hardwood floors. I am interested in making the mod to the front wheel to prevent any scratches. What was used to create the groove in the wheel for which the o-ring seats into? What size o-ring is needed to make this mod?

Thank you.
inetjnky

Re: Interested in i7+

Postby vic7767 » October 26th, 2018, 3:11 pm

I use an 1/2 inch wood chisel to remove some of the front wheel material and then a 1/4 inch wood chisel to cut into the remaining material enough to allow a 3x20 metric O-ring to be installed and allow clearance of the O-ring so that there is no resistance against the front wheel modular assembly. All cutting is accomplished using a wood lathe.
Attachments
IMG_0639.JPG
cutting down front wheel material prior to making groove for O-ring
IMG_0640.JPG
cutting O-ring groove
IMG_0641.JPG
Front wheel with O-ring installed
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Brett » October 26th, 2018, 9:16 pm

This is a great mod for many reasons.
Protecting a wooden floor from scratches isn't one of them!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby George Jetson » October 26th, 2018, 11:02 pm

For those without a lathe in their workshop....or no workshop period :lol:
I've used a securely-clamped Variable-speed drill with a threaded screw of the appropriate diameter/length for a mandrel as a makeshift lathe for non-critical work in soft materials. The most difficult part of making this work is the lack of a tool rest, but that might not pose a problem here as an appropriately sized, hand-held rat-tail file may be all you need.
Work slowly, be patient, and wear eye protection...or just order one from Vic (if he's making them for the i7) :cheers:
Dave

Rosie (Retired): Trusty 560 with numerous mods and hacks - Adopted 12/2007
Rosie 2.0: Bone stock 960 - Adopted 09/2018
George Jetson

Postby gregj » October 27th, 2018, 9:06 am

this would be terrible on carpets tho.
meep
gregj
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » October 27th, 2018, 10:35 am

It's actually beneficial when running on carpet. The front wheel rolls in the 1mm grove cut by the O-ring while not slipping on the carpet and swivels easier due to the additional traction.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby inetjnky » October 29th, 2018, 9:04 am

Vic are you selling the modded wheels on the i7? If not, if I sent mine to you would you do it for a fee? I don't have the robot yet, but I'm interested in getting one and having it done. Thank you.
inetjnky

Postby vic7767 » October 29th, 2018, 10:12 am

The O-ring mod offered will fit on the i7.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby bytemaster0 » October 29th, 2018, 9:47 pm

So, this may be a moot point, but...

On older Roombas, those which used the optical encoders to read the wheel color, the wheels were super hard and could scratch some softer floors. The i7+ on the other hand may be doing this by magnetic induction, hall effect, or something else, as it's a straight-black wheel. It's nice and rubbery. Absolutely no scratches on my hardwood from it. Is the O-ring hack really needed? It seems to be soft, nice and quiet when operating.
bytemaster0

Postby Brett » October 31st, 2018, 1:25 am

bytemaster0 wrote:... The i7+ on the other hand may be doing this by magnetic induction, hall effect, or something else, as it's a straight-black wheel ...

It has the camera etc for it's navigation so it does not need to see the caster going black-white-black-white etc to confirm that the robot is actually moving as the early ones did. There is no optical sensor under the caster; but at first (eg 980) the caster was still black and white - I guess just to keep it a standard part?

(-B
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby bytemaster0 » October 31st, 2018, 1:04 pm

That's true, but there are definitely scenarios where the camera may not provide sufficient guidance, so I figured it might need it. However, that brings up a different point - it has an optical flow estimation camera *underneath* the bot, so that probably replaced the optical encoder on the wheel. Totally forgot about it during this discussion! Still, the wheel is nice and soft, which was what I was trying to convey in the first place. :)
bytemaster0

Postby marquesalan » November 9th, 2018, 7:47 am

I'm confused,. how soft is your wood? Our hardwood floors look flawless and we use a Roomba 960 and the Braava 380t.Just ordered the i7 so hopefully that will not scratch the floors. The trick may be to just keep your wood treated and protected. We use Quick Shine Hight Traffic Hardwood Floor Luster and Polish!
marquesalan
Robot Addict

Postby rotorwash » November 9th, 2018, 8:37 am

I think the key is to keep that wheel clean. Mine gets tangled up in hair quickly
rotorwash

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat