What kind of Scooba to seek on eBay?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Re: What kind of Scooba to seek on eBay?

Postby Botty » November 24th, 2018, 7:49 pm

not scientifically, but the dirty tank is pretty full at the end of a clean now. I did buy a new brush and squeegees but i haven't put them in yet. I only got them because vic advised picking up spares while they're still out there.

Do the 3xx parts fit the 5xx? Perhaps they do. iRobot still has a scooba accessories page live on their site and things are priced cheaper than everywhere else - https://store.irobot.com/default/parts- ... cessories/
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby NoJimForHome » November 24th, 2018, 10:59 pm

Yes I think they do, but there are no brushes available for the 3xx series either. Dunno.

So I set him up to run while we went off to run errands. As I feared, when I got home he was just hanging out on the edge of the stairs. I pulled him back and hit Clean again. He drove right up to the stairs and "I'm Stuck." I pulled him back farther. Same thing. Stupid little guy apparently likes nothing better than to get stuck at the stairs. Although this seems to only be a problem if he's in "Room Crossing" or "Spiral" mode. Watching him, if he approaches the stairs from the side in "wall follow" mode, he has no problem with the transition and follows the step and keeps going on the other side without complaint. So I dunno.

Additionally, the continuing vigorous shaking with hot water keeps improving the suction... or so it seems. But I keep getting (reducing amounts of) crap out with each cycle. Remains to be seen how much comes out here at the end of this cleaning cycle, which is, of course, now going pretty smoothly after I am home.
NoJimForHome

Postby Botty » November 24th, 2018, 11:09 pm

you can get whole kits relatively cheaply that ship worldwide, e.g. - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replenishmen ... rk:11:pf:0

If you want to keep it away from an area you could pick up a virtual wall very cheaply - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iRobot-Scoob ... ctupt=true

Regarding the crap buildup inside, i found the shaking was helpful but taking the shower head of and blasting hot water at high pressure through the tank really did the trick. Have you maybe got a hose or something else that could do the same? Otherwise you could try a new tank - https://store.irobot.com/default/parts- ... ml#start=2

Absurd really, to basically build a whole new robot, but there you go.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby NoJimForHome » November 24th, 2018, 11:17 pm

LOL indeed. I haven't tried the high-pressure blast yet, but it's on my list. Thanks for the input! :)

I measured the clean tank (and dirty tank) capacity as about 4 cups each. I don't really get why the dirty tank would be as big as the clean since obviously SOME would be left behind, but whatever. After this run in the ~350sqft living room area I had about 7/8 cup of dirty water; which means ~3 cups were left behind. On one hand that means SOME dirty water is coming up, which is great, but could be better I suppose! That means I'm averaging about 25% pickup rate. TBD if I can improve that without spending more money.
NoJimForHome

Postby vic7767 » November 25th, 2018, 12:17 am

Heads up on the Scooba 3XX tanks on the iRobot site. Although there is a picture of the tank, when you click on it, there are none in stock.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Botty » November 25th, 2018, 12:32 am

What happened to the 230? Did you get it working?
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby NoJimForHome » November 25th, 2018, 11:50 am

No progress with the 230. The longest it went without giving me the Tank Empty error was about 90 seconds. Usually it comes on in less than 10s.

If we go on the assumption that there is a problem with the electronics, either the "tank empty" sensor or the mobo, I suspect I will have to tear into the thing, unless someone else has a better idea. I haven't been able to find a 230 service manual or any diagrams of the internals, so presumably it's going to be a slow, deliberate cutting open in such a way that hopefully I can reassemble it with screws. Shame, because this thing literally looks brand new. Presumably the previous owner had the same problem and therefore it never had any high-speed smacks into walls or cabinets. I might use some other bits of plastic and epoxy to make screw-tabs for reassembly or something.

Tangentially-related: are all Virtual Walls interchangeable? All work on all Scoobas and Roombas?
NoJimForHome

Postby leonicholson » November 25th, 2018, 12:03 pm

NoJimForHome wrote:I suspect I will have to tear into the thing, unless someone else has a better idea.

It is strange that iRobot went the "disposable" route with the 230, given their modular repair philosophy.
You will be very popular if you can gain access and reverse engineer the thing.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby NoJimForHome » November 25th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Well, some small improvement with the 5800. Ran it in the kitchen; pulled up about 1¼ cup of dirty water. That's better than the 7/8 cup yesterday! We also got 90 fizzy denture cleaners at Aldy's for like, $3. I threw a few in the tank and let 'em fizz; more crap came out but now I don't know if it's from my house or the previous owner's.
NoJimForHome

Postby NoJimForHome » November 30th, 2018, 11:28 pm

SO. Funny story. Apparently, being new to Scooba, I cannot tell the difference between the "empty tank" warning and "low battery" warning. I got a funny feeling the other day, though, and plugged the 230 in for about 20 minutes, then noted he was easily able to start cleaning the floor (I let him go ~30 seconds.)

SO. Plugged back in, charged at 7.5v while I was away at work. Came home, he cleaned the whole master bath! w00t!

This is an excellent development. No autopsy required!
NoJimForHome

Postby Botty » December 1st, 2018, 4:16 pm

lol so the issue was the battery wasn't charged?
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby NoJimForHome » December 1st, 2018, 6:27 pm

That SEEMS to be the issue. Currently at the in-laws' house. I brought the Roomba 650 and Scooba 5800 to do main floor. Half because it's helpful and half because we love watching the 2-year-old run around going "ROBOT! ROBOT"!
NoJimForHome

Previous

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat