Roomba vs thick rug

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba vs thick rug

Postby drunkpenguin » November 10th, 2018, 7:30 pm

I have hard wood floors and my roombas are amazing. If I add a large thick rug to my living room will they impress me? Thinking of something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Safavieh-Hudson- ... =11x15+rug
drunkpenguin

Re: Roomba vs thick rug

Postby NoJimForHome » November 10th, 2018, 9:12 pm

We have a sheepskin rug and Roomba gets bogged down. Occasionally he'll make it across, but usually he slows to a stop and I get "Error, move Roomba to a different spot..."
NoJimForHome

Postby Brett » November 13th, 2018, 1:52 am

I think you'll be okay on that rug you show - it will slow down a lot though.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby Griffin » November 19th, 2018, 6:15 am

I noticed on our Roomba, it only cleans good on hardwood floors. We have thick carpet and it gets stuck, there's this one time that the robot felt a little hot, after it tried to pass through the carpet. I'm probably going to take a look at black friday/cyber monday deals this year and see if I can get good deals on high end Roombas, I heard they do better in thick carpets. What I don't like much about our Roomba is its noise. I find it too loud every time it runs. I definitely can't let it run early in the morning.
Griffin

Postby RTC » November 19th, 2018, 9:06 am

I bought my 980 almost 2 years ago because it was designed for carpet and hard flooring changing the vacuum power automatically. Unfortunately because I have a tremor I cannot operate a smartphone, so I cannot use the app to control my 980, but other than that it is great.

However the carpet in this apartment is not "thick" and has some very worn areas in the living room near the front door.
RTC

Postby George Jetson » December 3rd, 2018, 3:48 am

One way to find out.... Hahahaha
2-inch pile might be a bit much, but my previous home featured a room with deep shag carpeting (probably 1.25" - 1.5") that I'd let the Roomba clean, but that one room (approx. 300 ft/sq) would sap an entire charge.
Dave

Rosie (Retired): Trusty 560 with numerous mods and hacks - Adopted 12/2007
Rosie 2.0: Bone stock 960 - Adopted 09/2018
George Jetson

Postby leonicholson » December 3rd, 2018, 1:17 pm

Ours do balk at sheepskin rugs, but handle our others.
Last edited by leonicholson on December 5th, 2018, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby drunkpenguin » December 4th, 2018, 4:45 pm

I suppose I should update this thread. Success! It's handling it fine. The first couple of days it would get stuck and shut down, but after the rug finally evened out and started laying flat on the floor its been fine.

One caveat tho for anyone that finds this in the future. Dark colored rugs will make a roomba think its falling off of a cliff and turn around. I have 2 roombas, one of them has the cliff sensors covered up with reflective tape because otherwise it would go around the black parts of other rugs. This roomba climbs onto the new very thick rug and vaccuums it fine. My other roomba that does not have the sensors covered wont drive up onto it at all.
drunkpenguin

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat