T'shooting a Charging Base

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

T'shooting a Charging Base

Postby lothian » November 18th, 2018, 5:19 pm

My "integrated charging base" does not seem to be working.

I noticed that the roomba stopped returning to the charging base, nor charge when set on to the contacts. The vac checks out as OK, so I suspect the charging base might be the problem.

I believe the green LED on the the charging base is supposed to flash intermittently, probably to indicate power. But this one isn't. When I plug it in, the LED glows steady for 5 seconds, then goes dark and never flashes afterwards.

Do the charging bases go bad..? Is there some better t'shooting procedure I can perform on the charging base to determine if the thing is genuinely facocta?
lothian

Re: T'shooting a Charging Base

Postby RTC » November 18th, 2018, 7:05 pm

One question. Is it plugged into a UPS?

If so unplug it and either plug it directly into the wall or a surge suppressor.
I have a 980 and my base got totally confused when I accidentally plugged it into the UPS in the room (e.g. Roomba could not find home). There is a sentence in the battery section of the manual that operating on a "power converter" can damage the unit. A UPS is one type of "power converter".

Note: iRobot's customer support people are not aware of this! I tried to explain it to them, finally gave up and told them to consult their own engineers.
RTC

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat