Roomba 880 - long run time?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 880 - long run time?

Postby Botty » November 19th, 2018, 4:39 am

Having owned only Neatos I recently picked up a Roomba 880, just to try it out.

It took 55 minutes to clean a room that My Neato D7 or D5 does in around 15 minutes.
When cleaning the whole floor level it took 103 minutes which either of my Neatos finish in 22-24 minutes.

The level of cleaning after it finished was good but I was pretty surprised how long it took. Is that sort of run time normal for a Roomba?
Botty
Robot Addict

Re: Roomba 880 - long run time?

Postby RTC » November 19th, 2018, 8:55 am

Have you only run it once? The first time I ran my 980 it took about 3 hours and had to return home to charge after less than 2 hours, I also had to stop it manually to empty the bin 3 times. Since the 2nd run it has never taken more than a little more than 1 hour, usually I only have to empty the bin when it finishes now. That first run removed lots of dirt I was not getting the regular way. It always does lots of "detail cleaning", going forward and backward with the magnifying glass light lit the first time it cleans an area it has never done before (or has been prevented from reaching for a month or so).

That is cleaning 3 rooms: living room, kitchen, and bathroom. This year I moved the base from the living room to the small bedroom/library and am doing 3 rooms: living room, bathroom, and small bedroom/library. I hope to add the kitchen back soon making it 4 rooms. Eventually I'll add the large bedroom.
RTC

Postby Botty » November 19th, 2018, 8:58 am

i actually bought it for my parents, but they were baffled by how long it took and how tricky it was to get it to go from room to room, so i bought them a neato D7 instead and took the 880 home to try out.

So yeah it does generally seem to take a long time, wherever it is

Edit: I must say, as a relatively new user of robot vacs, the difference in early user experience between roombas and neatos is night and day.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » November 19th, 2018, 9:18 am

I bought my 980 almost 3 years after my mother died, she would have been completely baffled by it.

She was so baffled when I tried showing her how to use a computer that I had to explain why the printer and keyboard were not attached together as they are in a typewriter, why the inkjet printer did not need and could not use carbon paper, and to introduce her to using the mouse I asked her to play solitaire on the computer once or twice a day (which seemed waste of time to her so she resisted initially). But then she got sick......
RTC

Postby Brett » November 20th, 2018, 12:54 am

An 880 is not really a fair comparison with a Neato as it does not "navigate". The 980 would be a much fairer comparison.

Having said that most people should run the thing when they are out so they don't sit trying to analyse why it did this or that... walk in on your return, check that it made it back to the dock as you empty the bin, and admire your clear floor.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » November 20th, 2018, 4:36 am

hah yes indeed. Like I say the cleaning result was good, i was just interested rather than concerned.
Although I imagine that the wear & tear on the unit / battery will be three times heavier if it takes three times as long to clean.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » November 20th, 2018, 5:24 am

Brett wrote:Having said that most people should run the thing when they are out so they don't sit trying to analyse why it did this or that... walk in on your return, check that it made it back to the dock as you empty the bin, and admire your clear floor.

I watch my 980 the first time or two after relocating the base or making a major temporary change in "blocked off" areas, to make sure it isn't getting any unexpected problems. After that if I am home I ignore it, only checking on it if I hear "error"; if I go out I check where it is when I get back (once I found it trapped under the sofa held down by a spring that had broken!!! It got a "battle scar" from that spring).
RTC

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat