Roombo i7 - virtual "no-go" lines?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roombo i7 - virtual "no-go" lines?

Postby shatain00 » November 25th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Do we know if there is any roadmap for iRobot to add the virtual "no-go" lines to the roomba line? I for sure see this as a huge differentiator with the NEATO D7 and I find it odd that iRobot has not address this yet - I would assume this is mostly software related so it could be an i7 roadmap feature?
Thanks,
shatain00

Re: Roombo i7 - virtual "no-go" lines?

Postby vic7767 » November 25th, 2018, 6:41 pm

iRobot likes to keep their accessory line active so they offer a Virtual Wall accessory for the i7.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby shatain00 » November 25th, 2018, 7:13 pm

I understand that - but it just seems to be such an inferior and expensive (hardware) solution when competition have an easy SW solution that the i7 could do also now with the latest tech on it (already mapping rooms) - seems to me they are catching up on this one and really wondered if they had published a roadmap item around it yet.

I cannot imagine how their hardware virtual wall accessory could in anyway be superior to the "no-go" software lines - or am I missing something?
shatain00

Postby ps0001 » November 25th, 2018, 7:18 pm

shatain00 wrote:Do we know if there is any roadmap for iRobot to add the virtual "no-go" lines to the roomba line? I for sure see this as a huge differentiator with the NEATO D7 and I find it odd that iRobot has not address this yet - I would assume this is mostly software related so it could be an i7 roadmap feature?
Thanks,

I think it's something they'll probably add in the future, but I have no idea when. FYI: you can sort of fake this feature by adding three or more room dividers in a box around your no-go area. When one room divider intersects another, the app splits the intersected divider in two, so you can go back and delete any segments that extend beyond your no-go area. There should definitely be an option to just draw a rectangle or irregular polygon, but this will do in the meantime.

shatain00 wrote:I cannot imagine how their hardware virtual wall accessory could in anyway be superior to the "no-go" software lines - or am I missing something?

The one way I've noticed a hardware VW is superior is in the granularity of control. The i7 seems to respect room boundaries as if they're half a meter wide, but the second it hits a VW beam, it won't go another centimeter forward.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby shatain00 » November 25th, 2018, 7:44 pm

Interesting response ... what do you mean exactly by delete a segment? I know the virtual wall was only a HW solution so what would you be deleting? Can you use them to build a SW map that it remembers? I thought they had to stay in-place all the time?
shatain00

Postby ps0001 » November 25th, 2018, 9:49 pm

shatain00 wrote:Interesting response ... what do you mean exactly by delete a segment? I know the virtual wall was only a HW solution so what would you be deleting? Can you use them to build a SW map that it remembers? I thought they had to stay in-place all the time?

I'm talking about room dividers as used in the app--not the virtual walls you physically position in your home. The i7 builds and remembers a map of your home. In the app, you can add dividers to split the map into rooms. You can also add the dividers in such a way that you effectively make a box around an area you want to designate as a no-go zone.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby shatain00 » November 25th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Well that is amazing news!
Not as awesome but I can work with that.
shatain00

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat