Rebel:smarter roomba

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Rebel:smarter roomba

Postby rotorwash » December 1st, 2018, 9:56 am

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ro ... er-roomba#

Anyone see this? I wish it was a reality because this is what the 980 needs. Maybe iRobote will see this and finally make the perfect robot vac
rotorwash

Re: Rebel:smarter roomba

Postby NoJimForHome » December 1st, 2018, 11:47 am

Pretty cool!
NoJimForHome

Postby leonicholson » December 1st, 2018, 11:55 am

Kinda like how an SSD drive revitalized my 8 year old Thinkpad.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » December 1st, 2018, 1:05 pm

rotorwash wrote:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robolem/rebel-for-a-smarter-roomba#

Anyone see this? I wish it was a reality because this is what the 980 needs. Maybe iRobote will see this and finally make the perfect robot vac

I think the i7 is well on its way, but these guys have it right: its limitations are mainly software-based. It could really be a spectacular product with better firmware.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » December 1st, 2018, 2:39 pm

leonicholson wrote:Kinda like how an SSD drive revitalized my 8 year old Thinkpad.

An SSD or HD is hardware! They are talking about software upgrades, not hardware upgrades.

A Software upgrade for your Thinkpad would be like: discarding Windows and installing Linux! :)
RTC

Postby leonicholson » December 1st, 2018, 4:21 pm

Watch the video a little closer. They are adding a hardware ring module (even an optional camera) plus software to enhance an older 770.
I assume the module contains a processor, additional memory and an interface to the existing motherboard.
Outstanding project!
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby drunkpenguin » December 4th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Wouldnt they ultimately get sued by iRobot tho?

A product we used recently had hacked software put out by another company to make the 2 devices compatible with each other and now there is a lawsuit going on between them.

If these guys are that on the ball and this is not a scam like half of kickstarter campaigns, why don't they just build their own robot? Seems like they are half way there anyways.
drunkpenguin

Postby vic7767 » December 4th, 2018, 5:58 pm

This unit communicates with the Roomba via the SCI channel only. It uses the Open Interface commands. All the bells and whistles are within the additional hardware installed in the faceplate.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby drunkpenguin » December 4th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Have you guys seen the movie Passengers? I want the Roombas they had! Every time you drop something on the floor they come flying outta somewhere and clean it up.
drunkpenguin

Postby RTC » December 4th, 2018, 10:59 pm

drunkpenguin wrote:Have you guys seen the movie Passengers? I want the Roombas they had! Every time you drop something on the floor they come flying outta somewhere and clean it up.

No, but in the movie "The Fifth Element" there is a scene where the bad guy in a "debate" with one of the good guys demonstrate how evil is more productive than good knocks his glass of liquor off his desk and about 20 cleaning robots appear to pick up the shards and mop up the mess, then equally quickly dissapear. Then he expounds on how many people are employed and get fed because of his action and that good actions never produce similar results.
RTC

Postby ps0001 » December 7th, 2018, 11:20 pm

drunkpenguin wrote:Have you guys seen the movie Passengers? I want the Roombas they had! Every time you drop something on the floor they come flying outta somewhere and clean it up.

Yes! You must be the only other person on earth who noticed that and wants it too! :cheers:
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby Robolem » Yesterday, 1:02 pm

Just seen your comments! We are very pleased that you like the idea and we are definitely not a scam. Finding the right structure of the map has cost us a lot of time. Because we do not earn any money with it, we can only work on it during our free time. Hopefully that will change soon. We still have so many features we want to implement. It's
just crazy how much would be possible!
Robolem

Postby leonicholson » Yesterday, 1:07 pm

Robolem wrote: It's just crazy how much would be possible!

Keep us updated on this thread! There's a lot of used 770's out there. :cheers:
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat