6 Arm Side Brush?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

6 Arm Side Brush?

Postby leonicholson » December 2nd, 2018, 10:14 am

Some 6 arm side brushes came with a main brush I ordered on eBay. The main brush is great, but the 6 arm brush goes under rugs when transitioning from concrete.

I switched back to a 3 arm brush. Do others use the 6 arm one?
Attachments
6armbrush.jpg
6armbrush.jpg (4.88 KiB) Viewed 240 times
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Re: 6 Arm Side Brush?

Postby vic7767 » December 2nd, 2018, 11:19 am

When first introduced, the 6 arm brush created early side brush motor failures due to the additional friction (load) presented to the motor. This failure occurred mainly in environments that had all carpeted areas.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby leonicholson » December 2nd, 2018, 12:03 pm

Yeah, I can see that now.
Maybe would work by removing three of the arms, but not worth the trouble.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby George Jetson » December 3rd, 2018, 2:59 am

Exactly. When I had no choice but to reorder the six-arm version, I hacked three of the arms off. Not that much trouble really with a sharp blade. In fact, didn't the 500 Series originally come with a five-arm brush? I seem to remember super gluing the arms right at the hub when the inevitable cracks developed - worked surprisingly well actually. But then the arm would get to the point of no return, and I'd hack it off. Think I ran with some custom two-arm brushes there for a while....Hahahahaha
That's interesting about the motor failures Vic, I hadn't heard that. I reduced the arm count because I found with twice as many arms, the brush was eternally batting debris completely across the bot's path and seldom got picked up.
Dave

Rosie (Retired): Trusty 560 with numerous mods and hacks - Adopted 12/2007
Rosie 2.0: Bone stock 960 - Adopted 09/2018
George Jetson

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat