Whats the ideal combination for the iRobot Replacement Kit?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Whats the ideal combination for the iRobot Replacement Kit?

Postby DannyJ » December 5th, 2018, 5:28 pm

Have been browsing online and looking for a replacement kit for my 700 and 800 series. Those kits are different in number of parts. Whats the most reasonable combination in your mind?
x set of Brush?
x of filter?
x of side brush?

Thanks
DannyJ

Re: Whats the ideal combination for the iRobot Replacement K

Postby drunkpenguin » December 5th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Well, my oldest roomba, 800 series, just over 2 years old, Ive replaced the 2 rollers once and that was very recently. They didnt really need to be replaced but the kit came with some. The filter a couple times a year, but I blow it out about once a month. The side brush, not sure Ive ever replaced that one. If I did it was only because a kit came with one.

Edit, I just remembered what happened. The only reason anything got replaced was because the front wheel wore out and needed to be replaced, the kit came with everything so I replaced them all, but everything except the filter lasted close to 2 years easy.
drunkpenguin

Postby RTC » December 5th, 2018, 10:35 pm

drunkpenguin wrote:Well, my oldest roomba, 800 series, just over 2 years old, Ive replaced the 2 rollers once and that was very recently. They didnt really need to be replaced but the kit came with some. The filter a couple times a year, but I blow it out about once a month. The side brush, not sure Ive ever replaced that one. If I did it was only because a kit came with one.

On my 980 I have replaced the extractor rollers once (per schedule in the manual) and the side brush twice (first with the extractor rollers because customer support recommended doing both at the same time, second when the side brush lost an arm during a cleaning cycle - still haven't found the missing arm).

I kept the original extractor rollers as "emergency spares" as they still looked OK to me, but the first side brush was turning black and was a bit "greasy" so I threw it out.

I have had my 980 just short of 2 years.

I vacuum the filter out with a Metro mini vacuum on most times that schedule says to replace it and only replace it when there seems to be dust deep in it even after vacuuming.
RTC

Postby robotfuture » December 6th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Hi, I am new here, love my Roomba 980 , "Robbie" but after a stelar performance of 2 years, one day the living room was covered with "Roombarf" and when searching for solution came across this forum.
I did figure out the problem eventually, it needed an new filter, so at this point I have used the spare parts that came with "Robbie" and now looking for replacement kit? trying to figure out what is needed next?
Also looking to buy a mopping robot soon, so this forum is very helpful.
robotfuture

Postby RTC » December 6th, 2018, 3:26 pm

robotfuture wrote:I did figure out the problem eventually, it needed an new filter, so at this point I have used the spare parts that came with "Robbie" and now looking for replacement kit?

trying to figure out what is needed next?

Have you been following the maintenance schedule in the manual?
Vacuuming or blowing out the buildup in the filter periodically helps a lot.

I just buy the maintenance kits directly from iRobot, then keep at least one unopened kit in stock.
However there are cheaper sources of compatible parts (e.g. eBay, Amazon).

I have had my 980 just short of 2 years. The biggest problem I ever had was when it swallowed more than 10 feet of thread from a spool that had accidentally been dropped. Also never plug the Home Base into a UPS, things get very confused (the manual even "cryptically" warns it can cause damage and void the warranty)!
RTC

Postby DannyJ » December 6th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Thanks everyone! I just bought one from Amazon, will see how it performs. It's made by third party, hope everything will be okay.
DannyJ

Postby drunkpenguin » December 6th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Should be fine, I get mine from Amazon.
drunkpenguin

Postby redpoint5 » December 7th, 2018, 12:23 pm

I haven't used the spiral blade brush, but I assume it's the best combination of quiet, effective, and doesn't get tangled with hair. I'll be buying one for my D3 to test out.

I've only had to replace a brush once on my xv-11 due to bearings wearing out, but I only ran it every couple weeks.

I never replace a filter because I blow it out after every run. I'd get the one with the most pleats so it flows the most air.
redpoint5

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat