HOUR button jammed - can I fix it?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

HOUR button jammed - can I fix it?

Postby busy dish » December 9th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Hi all, thank you in advance for your help!

I'm the new owner of a Roomba 650 that I found on the street after somebody threw it away. I took it home with me, gave it a very thorough cleaning, replaced the battery and the front wheel, charged it up, and tried to program it so it could join my other Roombas (one of which I bought and one of which was also a street rescue).

Unfortunately, the HOUR button seems to be jammed and doesn't do anything when I try to program it. The button does respond physically - it moves down like the DAY and MINUTE button - but I can't get any response from the Roomba.

Does anybody have some advice for how I can fix this? It's so sad that people throw their Roombas away so casually and I love to give them a good home, so it would be very disappointing if I couldn't program the new one at all.

Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_2540.jpeg
busy dish

Re: HOUR button jammed - can I fix it?

Postby vic7767 » December 10th, 2018, 1:08 am

That hour button has a short plastic leg that pushes onto the top of a dome button micro contact switch. You can suspect that the dome portion has caved in. Probably caused by being thrown into a trash bin. You may find a replacement switch on ebay.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby busy dish » December 10th, 2018, 9:33 am

Thank you! Can you point me to some guidance on how to take the front apart to get at the piece that needs to be replaced? I've removed the face plate and unscrewed a whole bunch of little screws, but nothing else seems to want to budge.
busy dish

Postby vic7767 » December 10th, 2018, 10:00 am

Search youtube for tear down video.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby leonicholson » December 10th, 2018, 11:40 am

These tear down instructions worked for me:

http://www.robotreviews.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20463#p147466
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby busy dish » January 1st, 2019, 9:21 pm

Thanks to everyone for your help so far!

I couldn't work on this for a few weeks, but I'm back from some travel and excited to put this Roomba to work!

I followed some instructions online to disassemble it down to the motherboard.

When I did, I checked the three dome button micro contact switches for DAY, HOUR and MINUTE and found that they all responded in exactly the same way to my touch - which indicates to me that the HOUR button was not caved in. Please correct me if this assumption is not correct!

Then I checked the plastic legs on the buttons themselves and saw that the HOUR button's leg, and in fact the HOUR button itself, was completely bent out of shape and useless.

What I'd like to try to do is either replace just the HOUR button, or all three buttons, or the entire control panel part. I've got no idea where to find any of that, though. Can anyone help me to find replacements online? They don't have to be original or even normal-looking (it doesn't matter to me if they look completely goofy), since I'm only doing this to give a Roomba a good home, and not for resale or anything like that.
busy dish

Postby Brett » January 3rd, 2019, 2:35 am

I was able to replace the "Clean" button dome thingy with a momentary push button
Just needed to trim the plastic "pusher" bit shorter to adjust for the extra height of the switch.

Think I took some pics of the actual fix - I will look.

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby busy dish » January 8th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Update: I reassembled the Roomba, except with the HOUR button, and tried using a toothpick to poke through the HOUR button's hole, in an attempt to validate my hypothesis that it was the button itself that was broken, and not the dome controller thing that the button is meant to press.

This did not work - the dome thing didn't respond to the toothpick - so I need to buy a replacement controller. Can somebody point me to a link for that and/or instructions for how to do that?
busy dish

Postby vic7767 » January 8th, 2019, 2:35 pm

The only source for replacing Roomba parts that are not modular will be from another donor Roomba. ebay sellers of Roomba parts offer them for sale by removing them from Roomba models that they purchase and disassemble.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby leonicholson » January 8th, 2019, 2:38 pm

It is often cheaper to buy a used ebay replacement than to repair one.
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby TechGuy » January 8th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Since you found this Roomba on the street, it may be rained on damaged the components for reading hour button.

If the cleaning function works, just use it without scheduling.
Charging battery directly: 400 Series, 500 Series,.H-Bridge Repair How to Desolder
TechGuy
Robot Addict

Postby Kelad » January 8th, 2019, 5:51 pm

How about spraying some electrical contact cleaner on / under it. Once i had a buildup of crap under the switch..the yellow foil had started to come off. I then just replaced the foil with small bit of electrical tape. I would also get a multimeter and check switch is working when you press it. You have the others to figure out which legs should go closed circuit when you press.
Kelad
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat