Roomba 981 Wifi manage under Windows

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 981 Wifi manage under Windows

Postby Sagrat » December 17th, 2018, 10:06 am

Hello,

I don't understand why iRobot decide to put Roomba Home App only on mobile device when most users has a laptop or desktop at home.

My phone is not compatible with iRobot Home App. It's exist a unofficial software under Windows to manage my Roomba ?

Thanks.
Sagrat

Re: Roomba 981 Wifi manage under Windows

Postby drunkpenguin » December 17th, 2018, 11:34 am

You might be surprised to know that the opposite is really becoming the norm. I work in the industry and a very large percentage of people having nothing but phones and tablets at home.

Which phone do you have? Are you sure the app is not compatible?
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby Sagrat » December 17th, 2018, 12:54 pm

drunkpenguin wrote:Which phone do you have? Are you sure the app is not compatible?

Sony Xperia / Android 4.4.2 (Qualcom 4 core)
Tablet : Android 4.4.2 (A33 4 core)

Yes I'm sure that the application it's not compatible because of the message displayed by Playstore on app page.

drunkpenguin wrote:You might be surprised to know that the opposite is really becoming the norm. I work in the industry and a very large percentage of people having nothing but phones and tablets at home.

Yes but Windows and MacOS is not marginals OS and it's seem logic than a robot vaccum control software can be installed on home computer. The vacuum robot it's made to clean home, it's a fixed devince in home like a desktop computer. Why do you forece people to install an app in thier mobil phone where a standard program on major desktop OS makes the job more confortably ? Nonsense !
Sagrat

Postby ps0001 » December 17th, 2018, 1:31 pm

I recently used BlueStacks for a different purpose, but I found that it worked surprisingly well. It is an "app player" for Android apps, intended for games, but it works for any type of app. It doesn't actually emulate an Android device, though, so it uses fewer resources on your PC. Give it a shot:

https://www.bluestacks.com/
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » December 17th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Sagrat wrote:Hello,

I don't understand why iRobot decide to put Roomba Home App only on mobile device when most users has a laptop or desktop at home.

My phone is not compatible with iRobot Home App. It's exist a unofficial software under Windows to manage my Roomba ?

Thanks.

I have had the same question.

I am unable to use a smartphone at all as I have a tremor that drives most touch devices totally nuts (i.e. I am not compatible with smartphones).

I am also of course unable to use the fancy touch based center consoles that practically all modern cars come with, seems a tocal waste of money to have to pay for something on the car that I can never use and without which I can't control any secondary systems of the car (e.g. AC, heating/defrost, radio) unless it comes with more conventional controls also (and if it does - again why should I have to pay for the touch system too that I can't use?).

It would be very helpful to have iRobot's app on my MacBook for my 980!
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » December 17th, 2018, 3:39 pm

RTC, the program I mentioned runs on MacOS too. Try it out.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » December 17th, 2018, 3:39 pm

ps0001 wrote:I recently used BlueStacks for a different purpose, but I found that it worked surprisingly well. It is an "app player" for Android apps, intended for games, but it works for any type of app. It doesn't actually emulate an Android device, though, so it uses fewer resources on your PC. Give it a shot:

https://www.bluestacks.com/

BlueStacks won't make my tremor compatible with a smartphone! :!: :(

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » December 17th, 2018, 3:53 pm

ps0001 wrote:RTC, the program I mentioned runs on MacOS too. Try it out.

OK, maybe in a week or so. Very busy right now and still have a security update I have been postponing as it needs a reboot of the machine.

My home network currently has 11 computers on it: an assortment of Macs (both Intel and PowerPC), Linuxs (Android), PCs, and one Chromebook (I hate ChromeOS, it is the most unstable OS I have seen since Microsoft fixed the Blue Screen Of Death). Some on EtherNet, some on WiFi. Two of the Linux machines were actually designed for the European market and use 50Hz refresh - making it hard to buy compatible monitors in the US (at some point I will be forced to buy a 50Hz to 60Hz converter for the desktop one).

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » December 25th, 2018, 1:13 am

ps0001 wrote:RTC, the program I mentioned runs on MacOS too. Try it out.

Well, I installed BlueStacks on my MacBook Pro today, then went to the Google Play Store and searched for iRobot HOME. However it reports that the app is not compatible with my device.

Oh well, so much for that.

Any other ideas?

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby babakonda » December 26th, 2018, 7:02 pm

You could try if iPedian (on Mac) would run the iRobot app. Check this article: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosap ... c-3512222/
There’s a Windows version too.
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » December 26th, 2018, 9:00 pm

babakonda wrote:You could try if iPedian (on Mac) would run the iRobot app. Check this article: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosap ... c-3512222/

Thanks! :? :shock: :roll: I went there and was told Flash was out of date, when I installed Flash it closed Safari and I lost all my open windows in Safari! I don't like that!!!!

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby Botty » December 27th, 2018, 8:05 am

no really an answer to your question, but higher end roombas & neatos can respond to alexa / google home voice commands.

Personally speaking, the idea of opening a laptop or clicking around on a desktop just to start a robot vac seems like an unnecessary level of hassle when you can just say "hey google, tell neato to start cleaning"

Certainly my elderly parents (and millions like them) no longer use desktops or laptops at home. They just have ipads / phones / voice assistants. The trend is in that direction, whether we like it or not.
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby babakonda » December 27th, 2018, 10:55 am

RTC wrote:
babakonda wrote:You could try if iPedian (on Mac) would run the iRobot app. Check this article: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosap ... c-3512222/

Thanks! :? :shock: :roll: I went there and was told Flash was out of date, when I installed Flash it closed Safari and I lost all my open windows in Safari! I don't like that!!!!

Sorry about that - to solve it, in Safari, go to "History" tab on top and click "Reopen All Windows From Last Session".
At least now you have the latest version of Flash :wink:
Does iPedian work for you?
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » December 27th, 2018, 5:18 pm

babakonda wrote:
RTC wrote:

Sorry about that - to solve it, in Safari, go to "History" tab on top and click "Reopen All Windows From Last Session".
At least now you have the latest version of Flash :wink:
Does iPedian work for you?

I did! I have been using Macs since 1999! I have a G3, several G4s, and 2 Intels. I even have a liquid cooled quadcore G5 desktop (but it no longer works as one core overtemps, triggering a panic shutdown). I know how Safari operates (when some stupid download doesn't trash it)!

All that came back was the Flash Download window! Never saw anything like that happen before! I had to manually bring back the critical windows and tabs. Lucky the eBay items I had been examining were not ones I was actively bidding on, as several things a couple weeks ago were!!!! Grrrr! :?

No, I did not download iPedian, I was blocked by the Flash notice greying out the tab before I could, then that tab didn't come back (as I said the only window that "Reopen All Windows From Last Session" brought back was the download Flash one)!

I have no intention of visiting that site again.

I started using computers in 10th grade in 1972 using punchcards on a IBM 1620 Model I (about 5000 discrete germanium transistors and 40000 decimal digits of magnetic core memory) that was first marketed by IBM in 1959. IBM had dropped support on that model in 1971, so the school had to figure out how to keep it running by themselves. In 1973 they replaced it with an IBM 1620 Model II that actually had 4 washing machine sized disk drives and ran a Batch Monitor (primitive OS that would schedule a batch of jobs to run one at a time in sequence to reduce operator workload). However I never got to try running anything on that machine. The old Model I was retired for use as spare parts.

I had a 30 year career working for a major military avionics contractor: 14 years as a test technician (specialty in CPUs), 16 years as a software engineer (specialties in requirements analysis and derivation, built in test systems, documentation, and systems/hardware/software liaison).
I spent roughly 10 years as a volunteer at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA; much of that working on restorations of three computers all introduced in 1959 using discrete germanium transistors.

I've gotten by 2 years without the WiFi control, I continue getting by,

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby babakonda » December 27th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Sorry, never thought that MacWorld’s webpage could cause any issues (Mac user since 1992 here, with a working Performa 475 :) ).. I would test it for you but I only have 800 series Roombas at home so no luck.
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » December 27th, 2018, 7:48 pm

babakonda wrote:Sorry, never thought that MacWorld’s webpage could cause any issues (Mac user since 1992 here, with a working Performa 475 :) ).. I would test it for you but I only have 800 series Roombas at home so no luck.

I don't think it is so much their webpage, but whatever they link to that checks Flash and then blocks access to their page until you install the new Flash, which does something that terminates Safari incorrectly. Since Flash is an Adobe product, it is probably Adobe breaking Safari.

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby babakonda » December 29th, 2018, 11:22 am

RTC wrote:I don't think it is so much their webpage, but whatever they link to that checks Flash and then blocks access to their page until you install the new Flash, which does something that terminates Safari incorrectly. Since Flash is an Adobe product, it is probably Adobe breaking Safari.

I just remembered that I do have app-enabled Braava Jet so went ahead and downloaded+installed that iPadian app.
Unfortunately I can't get to download the iRobot app from there, so I couldn't test it for you. :/
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » December 29th, 2018, 2:59 pm

babakonda wrote:Unfortunately I can't get to download the iRobot app from there, so I couldn't test it for you. :/

Right, the "device" is not compatible with the iRobot app. It probably isn't compatible with any app but games.

RTC
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » January 20th, 2019, 1:31 pm

RTC wrote:Well, I installed BlueStacks on my MacBook Pro today, then went to the Google Play Store and searched for iRobot HOME. However it reports that the app is not compatible with my device.

Oh well, so much for that.

Any other ideas?

I don't know if it's a Mac thing--and I can't test it because I don't own a Mac--but I just tried downloading and running the iRobot app on my PC through BlueStacks and it works perfectly fine. I can add my Roombas, run them, etc. all on my laptop. Do you have a PC you could try? Maybe give it another shot on the Mac?
ps0001
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat