i7 questions

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

i7 questions

Postby mcraeh » December 18th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted in a very long while, as we gave up the battle of Roomba vs dog hair a while back. However, I am interested in the new i7+ but have a few questions.

1. I have read enough on here to know that hair can still get tangled around the newer style rollers, but it looks like they would be easier to clean than the old brushes. However, do they still have the caps on the ends where the hair gets twisted? I always found it hard to dig the hair out of those.
2. I think the floor mapping feature is really cool, but how does it handle something like going under a kitchen table with chair legs in the way?
3. I am wondering if the amount of dog hair that would be picked up by any robot I own would be a problem for the self-emptying bin. I am specifically wondering about clogs and whether there is a way to deal with them, if they happen.
4. I have a pretty thick shag area rug that it probably cannot handle, so do I have to use virtual walls to keep it off? Or is that something I can specify in the mapping function to avoid?
5. Another problem I used to have is the front wheel falling out of the caster due to all the hair and stuff that would get wound up in it. Are there any changes to prevent that in the newer models?

Thanks for the help!
mcraeh
Robot Groupie

Re: i7 questions

Postby vic7767 » December 18th, 2018, 3:25 pm

The 800, and 900 Roombas all use the newer extractor (pair) that replaced the bristle brush and rubber beater bar. Hair that does not make it to the dust bin is now collected by the deep indentation design built into the extractors. It is much easier to remove. The yellow bushing design now includes a larger cap that prevents the entry of hair into the bushing. As far a dog hair blockage or other thick debris build-up I have no experience with that concern and the auto emptying works OK in my environment.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby rotorwash » December 18th, 2018, 4:40 pm

you need to read the i7 and dog hair thread should answer most of your questions.

To sum it up. I have used both the i7 and the 980 with two dogs that shed massively (golden retrievers)

The i7 can't handle hair it balls it up and spits it out. It seems to lack the suction to bring the long hair into the debris bin.
The 980 actually will stuff the bin with hair. Only when the bin is full or if the long hair actually wraps around the extractor (sometimes happens) will the bot spit hair out. very rare but happens.

The extractors will collect hair at the ends but the removal is super easy. The i7 collects way more than the 980 would. Going back to the fact that the i7 can't handle the hair into the bin but just wraps it up.

The i7 mapping is great just the vac isn't.

the one mod I did was switch the front wheel of the 980 with the wheel off the i7. The i7 wheel doesn't collect hair inside the wheel only on the ends. So I never have to remove the axle and clean inside.
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby mcraeh » December 18th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Thank you, I did see that thread. It's only that the website doesn't have 980's on them, only 960. And those are out of stock. I wasn't sure they would still sell them now that the latest and greatest is out.

How does it do under the kitchen table? Will it still circle around to get the hair puddled around the chair legs? I have a Golden and a German Shepherd, so we do have quite a bit of hair, although if I could rely on something to run every day I am hoping it would keep the hairballs to a minimum.
mcraeh
Robot Groupie

Postby rotorwash » December 18th, 2018, 10:23 pm

I bought a 985 from CostCo. If you're looking for one. I would not get a 960 the suction isn't as strong.

Yes they do circle around furniture legs.
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby Brett » December 19th, 2018, 10:30 pm

mcraeh wrote:... Will it still circle around to get the hair puddled around the chair legs? ...

Any decent robot will be able to handle working around the chair legs, but you will always get a better result lifting the chairs onto the table - even just some of the time. This is one of a few things that most robot owners would take a minute to do at some point before the robot runs including:
- checking for cat/dog sh!t
- picking up Lego, socks, phone charger cords etc
- closing the WC door
- etc

(-8
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat