Roomba Dirt Disposal Unit

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba Dirt Disposal Unit

Postby marquesalan » December 22nd, 2018, 6:28 pm

I have had my i7+ for 34 days now. Today I decided to move the unit to mop and polish the floor. All the way up my wall behind the unit there is a shadow of dirt. There is bit more near the baseboard. I wiped it with a microfiber towel and it all came off easy enough but that can't be good. Not sure this unit is sealed correctly. Does anyone notice any residue around their unit? I talked to iRobot and I am going to see if it continues after I cleaned the wall.
Not sure why the image wants to load horizontally. I tried to rotate it but if you click on it it should enlarge and change to a vertical position.
Attachments
Dirt Disposal Unit Residue.JPG
marquesalan
Robot Addict

Re: Roomba Dirt Disposal Unit

Postby vic7767 » December 22nd, 2018, 9:28 pm

I checked mine (it's a little further away from the wall about2 inches) but don't see any signs of dust like you have discovered.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby rotorwash » December 22nd, 2018, 10:36 pm

could the motor in the vac create neg ions or static energy causing attraction of dust on the wall?
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby vic7767 » December 23rd, 2018, 12:27 am

That may be the purpose of the new additional grounding attachment installed on the i7.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby marquesalan » December 23rd, 2018, 7:49 am

What additional grounding attachment? Mine is a standard plug. It could be static but how do you keep that under control? The told me to put the base up against the wall. The baseboard touches the bottom of the base but the rest is open.
marquesalan
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » December 23rd, 2018, 9:24 pm

marquesalan wrote:What additional grounding attachment? Mine is a standard plug. It could be static but how do you keep that under control? The told me to put the base up against the wall. The baseboard touches the bottom of the base but the rest is open.

There are many effective ways to control static. One way is grounding equipment through a high impedance (to prevent potentially dangerous shocks). However air ionizers and humidifiers are often much more effective as they both make the air itself slightly conductive, continuously bleeding off any static charges before they buildup. These even work where the case of the equipment is plastic, which grounding usually cannot discharge as most plastics are very good insulators.
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby vic7767 » December 23rd, 2018, 11:27 pm

marquesalan wrote:What additional grounding attachment?
What I'm talking about is a small bristle brush located behind the left rear cliff sensor that is an anti-static device that is grounded to the robot chassis via a single wire.
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby redpoint5 » December 24th, 2018, 3:29 am

Most forums autorotate photos to landscape. If you want the photo to show up properly, take it in landscape, which generally you should be doing anyhow unless you’re taking a portrait. You’ll have to crop your photo so the width is at least 1 pixel wider than the height.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Postby marquesalan » December 24th, 2018, 8:56 am

I was wondering what the small brush was for! Maybe mine is not working. All I know is this is not acceptable. Thanks for the photo advice too, it's not that big of a deal if it's sideways. As long as people can see it.
marquesalan
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat