Roomba 900 series battery charge stuck at 88 percent

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 900 series battery charge stuck at 88 percent

Postby gerryf19 » December 29th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Hi, I have newly acquired a Roomba 985 (costco model) and plugged it in for an initial charge.

It charged to 88 percent and stopped after 24 hours.

I then set it off on its maiden voyage where it successfully vacuumed my entire house before getting stuck behind a door in the back hallway (I was surprised it even went back there). It eventually ran out of battery and I returned it to its dock manually.

I contacted support about the battery issue and they advised that I should charge it again and report back results

After another 24 hours, it is reporting through the App (version 3.2.1) that is charged to 88 percent

Contacted support again. Now they are telling me that this is recently discovered app glitch. The roomba they say is fully charged, but the app is misreporting it.

Is anyone else seeing this with the 900 series using the Irobot app?
gerryf19

Re: Roomba 900 series battery charge stuck at 88 percent

Postby RTC » December 29th, 2018, 6:29 pm

gerryf19 wrote:Is anyone else seeing this with the 900 series using the Irobot app?

No, I can't use the app as I can't use touch devices. :(

You don't have the Home Base plugged into a UPS do you? A UPS can damage the Roomba or its battery and cause all sorts of strange behavior. If you do, unplug it immediately and plug the Home Base either directly into the wall or into a surge suppressor.

While this issue is documented (somewhat cryptically) in the Battery section of the manual, many customer support persons as iRobot are completely unaware of it!!!!
Technologist (i.e. one who studies technologies)

From the earliest "sticks and stones" technologies of our prehuman ancestors to the latest "high tech" technologies of today, I like studying it all!
RTC
Robot Addict

Postby gerryf19 » December 29th, 2018, 7:54 pm

No, no UPS. Plugged directly into wall

Thanks for tip though
gerryf19

Postby rotorwash » December 30th, 2018, 6:38 pm

I have the same 985 and I had issues with charging at first.

First run the bot worked for over an hour, after that first run it would charge the whole day then run maybe 15 minutes die on the spot.

I pulled the battery cleaned the contacts and replaced it. Since that time its been running great and over an hour and 20 minutes.
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby gerryf19 » December 30th, 2018, 7:05 pm

what does your charge level say on the phone app?
gerryf19

Postby rotorwash » December 31st, 2018, 11:13 am

gerryf19 wrote:what does your charge level say on the phone app?

when charged 100% but before I pulled the battery and cleaned it. The app would say it was fully charged and it would run maybe 15 minutes and die not even go back to base.
Not sure if pulling the battery reset something or the contacts where bad. All I know is it runs longer than my first 980
rotorwash
Robot Groupie

Postby flat5 » January 5th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Contacted support again. Now they are telling me that this is recently discovered app glitch. The roomba they say is fully charged, but the app is misreporting it.

I'm seeing this. But the discrepancy is even worse. It can say 6% in the app, but the green battery light is showing on the roomba itself. No matter how much I charge, the app stays stuck at 6%.

Removing the battery and reinstalling it does get things sorted out temporarily. But the problem always returns sooner or later.

Did they have any follow-up for this?
flat5

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat