Roomba 790 screeching/squeeling noise

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Roomba 790 screeching/squeeling noise

Postby jeffmikers » January 13th, 2019, 4:44 pm

I have a Roomba 790 that has faithfully fulfilled its duties in our home for 3+ years now, but is now complaining... quite loudly.

I've disassembled the entire unit to clean it and while it was really dirty, its still making a horrible high pitched screeching noise. I even opened up the motor assemble that drives the dust bin brushes.

I'm at a loss, because this isn't a complicated peice of machinery and I just can't figure out where the noise is coming from.

Here's a short video showing the problem in hopes that someone here can help Rosie the Robot return to her glory.

https://youtu.be/-TZO2cPXaXM
jeffmikers

Re: Roomba 790 screeching/squeeling noise

Postby vic7767 » January 13th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Go here: http://choisirsonaspirateur.info/wp-con ... Manual.pdf
and read how to put your 790 into the MANUAL BiTs mode. Then you can step through each test including all the motors to locate the noise.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby babakonda » January 14th, 2019, 10:46 am

Did you try running it without the dustbin installed (not sure if it will run that way, mine did)? The impeller shaft sometimes produces such noise, I believe that in 790 it’s located in the dustbin
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby jeffmikers » January 15th, 2019, 11:22 pm

The Roomba won't run without the dustbin. I just took the brush housing/compartment out and it still makes the noise. Tomorrow I plan on taking the wheel modules apart and cleaning those out. That's one thing I haven't tried yet.
jeffmikers

Postby Kelad » January 16th, 2019, 4:15 am

Seems to make the noise before it starts to move. I'm betting the dustbin motor....follow vic's advice above and it will no longer be a guessing game. Using built in test mode you can start/stop each motor individually and all will be revealed.
Kelad
Robot Groupie

Postby jeffmikers » January 16th, 2019, 1:44 pm

It occurred to me this morning, that the wheels are the source because the noise starts before the unit moves. You're right.

You guys are right. It's the dustbin. Forcing air into the dustbin with my blower, I can faintly hear the same pitch of the noise. I've taken apart the dustdin (pictures below), but I can't seem to pull the motor itself out. I've removed all of the screws, but am hesitant to push too hard on the motor to dislodge it. Should it just pop right out?

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ag1pULvSCbTFef6wzmP7uMhNibM
jeffmikers

Postby Kelad » January 16th, 2019, 3:39 pm

You can put a 9V battery (the one in your smoke detector) on those terminals and run the motor. To remove the motor you must first remove the black spinning impellar. Once removed, it will reveal 2 small screws and motor will pop out. However be careful removing impellar, in my experience it is not glued, just a tight fit on the shaft. If you pull impellar up on one side only, you can damage the impellar sides. You need to pull it straight up. Try to get something flat either side of the shaft under the impellar and slowly lever it up.
Anyway, for your problem, i wonder if the impellar has worked its way UP and is hitting the cover. I cannot see the shaft coming through impellar so maybe?? impellar should be sitting just above the 2 motor screws..
Kelad
Robot Groupie

Postby jeffmikers » January 16th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Brilliant!

My problem is most definitely the dust bin motor. You're 9V battery trick confirms that. So now that I have the motor loose, is there any salvaging it? I can't see how to open the housing.

There are part numbers on the motor and I see replacements for relatively cheap online.
jeffmikers

Postby Kelad » January 16th, 2019, 6:39 pm

I've never taken the motor apart and successfully put it back together...other may have. You could spray some electrical contact cleaner through holes and give it a clean out....a very drop of oil on the shaft.
Kelad
Robot Groupie

Postby babakonda » January 16th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I guessed this because a Scooba 390 I used for parts (“the screamer”, as I named her - used for parts as that couldn’t be repaired) made that same noise. If lubricating won’t cure it, there are entire dustbins available on ebay.
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby jeffmikers » January 17th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have to buy a new dust bin. I thought I had seen a used motor, but when I look closer none are the specs of this one and the RC500-KW/16360 mentioned in another thread on this forum is no longer available by that seller on eBay.

The new dust bins aren't very expensive, so I'll just go that route. Thanks a gazillion to this group! Finally a forum on the Internet that is helpful!!!!!
jeffmikers

Postby babakonda » January 17th, 2019, 7:50 pm

vic7767 here is the base of knowledge. I’ve been visiting here ever since I got my first Roomba (and now I’m addicted).
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby Kelad » January 18th, 2019, 6:38 am

https://youtu.be/EnmXVBqklF8

Looks good. Gunna give mine a clean.
Kelad
Robot Groupie

Postby Kelad » January 20th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Kelad wrote:https://youtu.be/EnmXVBqklF8

Looks good. Gunna give mine a clean.

This worked great. Fixed several old bin motors and side brush motors. Give it a go - GOLD !
Kelad
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat