schedule 960/980 without wifi?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

schedule 960/980 without wifi?

Postby Botty » January 15th, 2019, 4:47 am

considering getting a 900 series to use in a place that has no wifi nor mobile signal of any kind, and therefore no ability to use the irobot app.

is it in any way possible to schedule a 900 series without the app?
Botty
Robot Addict

Re: schedule 960/980 without wifi?

Postby vic7767 » January 15th, 2019, 10:34 am

Yes, you can use the Open Interface commands via the SCI micro USB port.
Roomba and Neato Mods, come visit: http://www.vic7767.com/
vic7767
Robot Master

Postby Botty » January 15th, 2019, 10:44 am

ah, well it wouldnt be me doing the scheduling, it would be my aging mother so i think that kind of thing might be slightly beyond her.

I meant is there no way of doing with physical buttons or something? Or maybe even connecting to the unit with the app via bluetooth as the braava 240 does?
Botty
Robot Addict

Postby RTC » January 15th, 2019, 2:39 pm

Botty wrote:ah, well it wouldnt be me doing the scheduling, it would be my aging mother so i think that kind of thing might be slightly beyond her.

I guess by slightly you mean entirely! :) :( :) :(

My mother might have been confused by the [Home], [Clean], {Spot Clean] buttons on my 980, forget automatic scheduling (unless someone else set it up for her)!

I spent so much time explaining that paper did not go into the computer, like it does on a typewriter, it goes into the inkjet printer (several feet away) and what you typed appeared on the screen not the printer. She asked several times about using carbon paper (in the inkjet printer!) and was entirely baffled by the mouse.

She was a writer, with many magazine articles published (since the late 1940s) and one book (which is still in print). She had a Doctorate degree (earned by correspondence) in the early 1970s. But computers and robots were "fantasy" to her, not something that real people could ever use.
She taught me to type and gave me my first electric typewriter (when I was in High School), which I took to college and still have! When I was in High School the typing classes were for the girls only (so they could become secretaries), boys did not need to type. Same with cooking: girls only boys don't need it.
She grew up during the Great Depression, and graduated from High School in 1942 (often commenting that 9 out of 10 boys in her graduating class had already been killed in the war before graduation day!).

My dad would have been worse, all he knew of computers was the SciFi "take over the world" computers in the science fiction stories he read.
RTC
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat