Gunk in 960?

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

Gunk in 960?

Postby Wganna » January 21st, 2019, 11:02 pm

So a guest knocked my virtual barrier tower out of place and my Roomba 960 ended up in the utility room, where she tried to vacuum the drain where the cat prefers to pee. The Squaretrade warranty idiots told me to send it in but then refused to fix it and then voided the warranty. I don't even know that it doesn't work: I just know that it's full of cat urine and litter.

My question: how deep into the system could this be gunked up? I'm prepared to totally disassemble this thing if I have to, maybe replace cleaning unit. But I'm picturing stuff all up in components and motherboards and whatnot. Is this likely? And are there instructions on how to really take this apart for a novice?

This was a gift, and I'm feeling terrible (and really angry at the lack of warranty support). Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Wganna

Re: Gunk in 960?

Postby ps0001 » January 21st, 2019, 11:23 pm

Wganna wrote:My question: how deep into the system could this be gunked up? I'm prepared to totally disassemble this thing if I have to, maybe replace cleaning unit. But I'm picturing stuff all up in components and motherboards and whatnot. Is this likely? And are there instructions on how to really take this apart for a novice?

No, that's not likely. The worst case scenario is that the brush deck and bin need to be replaced, but I bet they're fine. Just take out the rollers and wipe out the inside of the brush deck with a damp cloth. Use a brush and/or picks if there's gunk in the crevices. Do the same thing for the bin. You'll probably want to replace the filter too, then give the Roomba a whirl again and see what happens.

Does Squaretrade handle warranty claims for iRobot? I've never filed a claim before so I don't know... Have you contacted iRobot directly?
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby Wganna » January 21st, 2019, 11:50 pm

[
ps0001 wrote:]
Does Squaretrade handle warranty claims for iRobot? I've never filed a claim before so I don't know... Have you contacted iRobot directly?

They handle them for Amazon. And badly. I'm never using them again. Garbage.

I was going to contact iRobot tomorrow. I'm worried about blowing cat pee residue around the house and then making it more attractive for pee everywhere. :(
Wganna

Postby RTC » January 22nd, 2019, 1:50 am

ps0001 wrote:Does Squaretrade handle warranty claims for iRobot?

No, if bought directly through the iRobot website or in a physical store they do their own warranty.

But if bought through another online seller indirectly (e.g. Amazon, eBay) usually it is necessary to buy a Squaretrade warranty, as one would do for other such items.

Not sure, but iRobot might be willing to cover a product of theirs sold via Amazon, but I doubt they would if sold via eBay. One would have to ask them (and provide S/N of course).
Last edited by RTC on January 22nd, 2019, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
RTC
Robot Groupie

Postby babakonda » January 22nd, 2019, 4:55 am

At least in Europe, Amazon is the official reseller of iRobot products so I would give them a call first, having s/n and Amazon’s invoice nearby.
If that fails, try cleaning it up as ps001 wrote above (take out the battery first!). Do it on a desk in your utility room if you’re worried about odours spreading, clean everything you see and let the robot dry completely (due to using a damp cloth) before starting it up again.
You can dampen the cloth with some white vinegar too (do not use chlorine-based products!) as it will neutralize the smell. 3 cats owner here. ;)
babakonda
Robot Addict

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat