New iRobot product: Terra lawn mower

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

New iRobot product: Terra lawn mower

Postby ps0001 » January 30th, 2019, 11:31 am

http://media.irobot.com/2019-01-30-iRob ... obot-Mower

BEDFORD, Mass., Jan. 30, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Having already changed the way people clean with the iconic Roomba® robot vacuum and Braava® family of robot mops, iRobot Corp. (NASDAQ: IRBT), the leader in consumer robots, is reinventing how people care for their lawn with the Terra™ robot mower. Terra™ features state-of-the-art mapping and navigation technologies, high-performance, high-quality mowing, and easy installation. A video and photos of the robot were unveiled on iRobot.com today.

The iRobot Terra™ introduces cutting-edge navigation technology and a unique wireless beacon system for a more intelligent robot lawn mower.

Terra is unique because it learns its environment using iRobot's Imprint™ Smart Mapping technology. It mows like people do, intelligently navigating a yard cutting efficiently in straight, back-and-forth lines. Terra remembers where it is in the yard and where it still needs to cover. If the robot's battery runs low, it will return to its base to recharge and then resume mowing until the yard is complete.

Terra will offer consumers a welcome alternative to existing robotic lawn mowers by eliminating the need for costly and labor-intensive boundary wires. Combining Imprint™ Smart Mapping technology and a newly developed wireless communications system, including standalone beacons, users just place the wireless beacons around their yard, drive the robot once around the perimeter, and schedule Terra to mow. Users have total control over where the robot goes and where it doesn't go, so it will stay on the lawn and out of the flowers.

Because Terra is connected, users can use the iRobot HOME App to customiz­­e their robot – from adjusting the height of the grass to controlling precisely when the lawn is cut, day or night. The robot is designed with rugged features to help it operate in inclement weather and navigate tough outdoor terrain.

"iRobot is building an ecosystem of robots and technologies that help people do more both inside and outside of the home," said Colin Angle, chairman and CEO of iRobot. "The robot mower segment is well established in EMEA and has tremendous room for growth in other markets, including North America. With its ease of use and premium mowing features, Terra is poised to give consumers a whole new way to think about how they take care of their lawn."

Availability:
The iRobot Terra robot mower will be available for sale in Germany and as a beta program in the U.S. in 2019. Specific availability and pricing will be announced at a later date. Please visit www.irobot.com/robot-lawn-mower for more information. Images and a video can be downloaded at http://media.irobot.com/media-kits?item=28.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Re: New iRobot product: Terra lawn mower

Postby drunkpenguin » January 30th, 2019, 12:13 pm

WOOHOO!! How exciting!

ps0001, the links you provided are not working for me. Maybe because I'm in the states?

Heres an article on engadget about it.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/30/iro ... bot-mower/
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby ps0001 » January 30th, 2019, 12:17 pm

I think their site might be getting a lot of traffic right now. It's loading slowly for me too.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby ps0001 » January 30th, 2019, 12:19 pm

I'm excited about this too, but I'm curious what the cost will be. Robotic lawn mowers aren't exactly new, but so far all the other options have been exorbitantly expensive, and iRobot isn't exactly known for targeting lower price points.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby drunkpenguin » January 30th, 2019, 12:22 pm

I wonder how it will do on larger lawns. As it is now i use a riding mower but would love to retire it.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby talcite » January 30th, 2019, 4:13 pm

I'm wondering how irobot is going to deal with potential theft.

If there's a $1000+ robot on my front lawn, it's not going to stay there for long...
talcite

Postby drunkpenguin » January 30th, 2019, 5:09 pm

talcite wrote:I'm wondering how irobot is going to deal with potential theft.

If there's a $1000+ robot on my front lawn, it's not going to stay there for long...

Thats a really good point actually. Living in the country I don't think about things like that anymore. If it's got a smart mapping system I suppose you could put it in the garage when your done, assuming it can mow the entire lawn in one session. It looks small and light weight and kinda looks like a handle on the back. Back yards would be ok, but I would imagine you'd want to babysit it in the front yard.

Sitting on a lawn chair with a beer and watching it go would still beat mowing yourself tho.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby ps0001 » January 30th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Other manufacturer's have already attempted to deal with that problem. I don't know if there are statistics about robotic mower theft rates, so I don't know how effective the solutions are, but I remember reading about models with GPS that become bricks if you take them off the owner's property, etc. I imagine the Terra will have similar features.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby skimmer » January 30th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Very excited however I think the price will be more like 2500 on this.I own a Worx Landroid and I can honestly say it does a very good job and rarely get stuck despite my lawn being undulating.
skimmer

Postby Gourd » January 30th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Pretty excited about this. My back yard is 80 percent of my cutting time. Also, since it isn't visible from the street, I honestly don't CARE if the cutting job is perfect. The objective is to cut the grass short enough to discourage rodents, and therefore poisonous snakes, plus reduce fire risk. (I live in central Texas.)

Basically a robot lawn mower would be used the same way I use my robot mops and vaccuums: to do the majority of the boring grunt work while I do the detail work. In this case I'd spend WAY less time mowing overall for the same result.
Gourd

Postby piokrza » January 31st, 2019, 5:53 pm

Nice. Still lurking for Scooba re-invention :idea:

ps. I don't understand why some people don't have fence around home, like here in Poland nearly all private home owners do, even on the country :?:

piokrza
Robot Master

Postby babakonda » January 31st, 2019, 8:30 pm

piokrza wrote:ps. I don't understand why some people don't have fence around home, like here in Poland nearly all private home owners do, even on the country :?:

That would make sense only if it was electrified. Which I strongly believe is illegal. ;)
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby drunkpenguin » January 31st, 2019, 9:08 pm

Very very few have a fence around the front yard in the US. Most have backyard fences tho. I have none.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Postby redpoint5 » January 31st, 2019, 10:59 pm

Yeah, front yard fences in the US is not common. Usually fences are put up to be functional, for instance to keep pets from running into neighbors property in the back yard. Electric fences aren't illegal in the US.

I enjoy mowing, but I don't get enough time to do it as regularly as I should, especially in the twice a week part of spring. Would be nice to have a bot do it for me.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Postby leonicholson » February 1st, 2019, 2:40 pm

I've been following robot mowers for some time, but doubt their application for large areas ( 1-2 acres). My zero turn handles that, but I would like one for our small fenced "dog yard".
leonicholson
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » February 2nd, 2019, 12:51 pm

I mean, those fences are all around house... :whistle: how many beacons does this product need?

More pics of Terra: https://www.dailyherald.com/article/201 ... /301309956
piokrza
Robot Master

Postby redpoint5 » February 2nd, 2019, 9:34 pm

I don't know how the robot uses the beacon to locate itself. That said, triangulation requires 3 "beacons" minimum.

Last edited by redpoint5 on February 4th, 2019, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
redpoint5
Robot Groupie

Postby ps0001 » February 3rd, 2019, 3:29 pm

I believe the Terra uses radio waves for localization via trilateration (since it only needs to know its position in two dimensions). There's a new-ish technology called "ultra wideband" (UWB) that can achieve a spatial resolution of just 7-9cm, which would be perfect for this. iRobot was in the news a couple of years ago because they filed documents (either patents or FCC filings, I can't remember) to use an outdoor RF-based localization system that conflicted with part of the spectrum used by astronomers. I'm pretty sure this is what came of it.

Anyway, you're absolutely right that this thing probably needs at least three beacons. You would actually need four beacons for full triangulation in three dimensions.
ps0001
Robot Addict

Postby piokrza » February 5th, 2019, 7:11 pm

These "beacons" use battery, accu or any other source of energy?
piokrza
Robot Master

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat