roomba 875 clicking noise from bin while docked

The very latest news and updates for the iRobot Roomba robotic vacuum, the Scooba Robotic Washer and the Dirt Dog workshop sweeper. All discussion and troubleshooting questions go here.

roomba 875 clicking noise from bin while docked

Postby robott » February 10th, 2019, 12:44 pm

I bought a new iRobot Roomba 875, sold in Europe, that makes clicking noise when its fully charged, docked and has its dust bin connected. There seems to be a fix that requires modification of the dust bin but that likely ruins warranty and will not help if I ever need to replace the bin. Anything I can do to really fix this? Some others on the net had requested a replacement only to find it does the same. I could always return it but the price was decent and it is otherwise a keeper.

All local irobot representatives are 3rd party companies that handle multiple brands and when I click on support at irobot homepage I get their contact details. I somehow doubt asking there is going to do any good.
robott

Re: roomba 875 clicking noise from bin while docked

Postby Brett » February 11th, 2019, 3:04 am

Ah-oh... read this thread.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!
Brett
Robot Addict

Postby babakonda » February 11th, 2019, 5:40 am

Try a different (wall) outlet first, directly without a power extension cable.
As the robot is new, if it doesn’t help, call wherever you bought the robot and request a replacement (or have them redirect you to an iRobot distributor/reseller).
There have been several clicking roombas series 800 in my country and replacement solved the issue.
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby robott » February 11th, 2019, 10:26 am

Thanks for suggestions. I called the local roomba support service and they will 'fix' the issue if I send it there and they are able to replicate the issue by replacing it with similar unit that doesn't suffer from the issue. Good if that solves the issue but not fun since it means cleaning and packing the unit, printing and filling out forms, couple of trips to the post office and robot down time.
robott

Postby robott » February 12th, 2019, 1:34 pm

I replaced it at the retailer and the new robot did the same so I returned it and got my money back.

I bet the whole 800 series for irobot until 890 is prone to this, at least that's the impression I got from the support who told me they might replace it with newer model like 890. It certainly was a known issue.
robott

Postby babakonda » February 13th, 2019, 6:51 pm

Sorry to hear this. I have an 880 for years and 866 for a few months, none of them clicks when charging. It sure had to be an issue with some series of specific models. Some people got replacements which behaved normally, unfortunately that wasn’t the case with yours.
If you’re considering an upgrade, check for 960 or 980 (981 on Amazon). Haven’t heard those had issues. 960 is roughly the same price as 875, at least in Europe.
babakonda
Robot Addict

Postby drunkpenguin » February 15th, 2019, 12:41 pm

My 877 has started doing this which is a bummer since its the bedroom robot. I plan to swap it with the 880 to see if its doing it as well. Its a slight click that comes from the speaker. I don't think most people would ever notice it unless you try to sleep in the same room with it. I read somewhere that if the bin is out it wont do it, but I havent tried this yet as that would also be pretty annoying to have to do.
drunkpenguin
Robot Groupie

Return to iRobot Roomba and Scooba Chat